Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool Q3A Mods that work with OpenArena  (Read 40114 times)
SlippJigg
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: April 28, 2010, 08:11:51 PM »

The Mods are what really made quake 3 have incredible shelf life.  There were many interesting mods written for the game..some slowly sinking in the sands of time.  Most of these mods work fine with OpenArena.

Here are a few of my Favorites

1.  NIQ3 - http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?view=MOTW.Detail&id=197

2.  Rune Quake 3 - http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?view=MOTW.Detail&id=185

3. ARQ - Archon Quake 3 - http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?view=MOTW.Detail&id=159

4. Requiem - http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?view=MOTW.Detail&id=160
    I have not tested requiem yet

Here is a link to these the great mods - all in one place
http://65.60.247.209/Quake3-OA-Mods/

Here is another link for ARQ, hosted by our member Gig: http://digilander.libero.it/flagraiders/files/oth_mods/arq/arq061002.zip

Drop by
SlippJigg's OpenArena Rune 0.8.5
and play a few maps

Anyone else have any Favorite Mods that work with OpenArena...speak up and tell the rest of us.
Don't keep the fun to yourself!

If you want to check out some old Mods that may be new to you start at the Mod of the Week pages here: http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?category_select_id=3&category_show_all=0&persist_search=b21b2041b1b5b565f1e25df7f670320e&view=MOTW.List&Data_page=1

Game not over,
Slippjigg
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 05:06:37 PM by SlippJigg » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:05:05 AM »

If you want, you can help expanding DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat]"ModCompat" page on the Wiki[/i].... last week I added pages for DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/NIQ3]NIQ3, DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/BFG10K_Arena]BFG10K Arena, DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/Akimbo]Akimbo and DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/Rocket_VS_Rail]Rocket VS Rail...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
SlippJigg
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 05:11:50 PM »

Gig,
  Thanks for the info,  i have not read the new wiki on this site.  I read the whole site before, but that was before the upgrade.  I will read the new wiki soon as i can spare the time?

Game not over,
SlippJigg
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 02:24:56 AM »

Update: I'll try to write an addon pack for ARQ.

It turned out that it doesn't work because of the fuzzy logic differences.

Edit: When I tried to update the wiki, I have became blocked by the spam protection filter. Huh Seems like they doesn't like the link of ARQ.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 02:37:51 AM by Graion Dilach » Logged

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 06:07:51 AM »

Since we have not been able to find a valid download location for the ARQ mod, when I wrote the page I uploaded the file to a web space I have access, under an Italian free space provider (known as digiland or digilander) account. Unfortunately, the whole digilander is in Wikia's blacklist, so to be able to add the link I was forced to place it inside the "nowiki" tags: the url was not clickable, but one could copy-paste it in his browser bar.

Now I try to update the page, and I see that the spam filter blocks it even if it is inside the "nowiki" tags! Ouch! I suppose the Wikia guys did an update to the spam filter... making impossible also to use the "nowiki" trick. D'oh!!!!!!

Maybe someone could upload the mod to rapidshare, megaupload, mediafire or similar service?

UPDATE: For the moment, I found another workaround: the blacklist searches for digilander.libero.it, the official URL of the "digiland" web service.... but the old URL digilander.iol.it (still active: now a redirection) works instead! Now the link is even clickable! (Until when the Wikia guys will decide to blacklist even digilander.iol.it...)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:32:46 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 06:35:31 AM »

OK, I finished the conversion.

Will update the wiki.

EDIt: I forgot, it wasn't the fuzzy logic which made it uncompatible. It was Domination.

EDIT2: Deleted attachment due to update.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 03:19:02 PM by Graion Dilach » Logged

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 12:22:13 PM »

Great Work, Graion! You get a cake for that!
The patch is also available here, now.

To SlippJigg: if you want to copy it to your hosting, too...

PS: I suggest to use small maps, for example WRACKDM17, with this mod. CE1M7 is not advisable, IMHO, because you can't get out of the lava (that does not kill you) unless you change g_gravity!

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 03:43:52 PM »

Well, there is a bug with it, AFAIK, the Sorceress's (played by Rai) lightning gun is too big on the screen. But I think I'll leave that now. Actually I'm happy that the model changes were successful by editing the qvms with Notepad++.

If fromhell finishes the uniting of the models' textures, I'll have to rewrite the package for 0.9.0. When that happens, I try to change the weaponmodel for the above, also I'm open about suggestions for the pieces. This was a mockup and Penguin looks a bit out of place for me.

But believe me, if you'd have only Sarges, it would be a nightmare.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 04:27:16 PM »

I almost wanted to do all the player models for Art of War and Niflheim once

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 03:04:24 AM »

I wanted to tell you about the "weapon too big" problem...
And another thing: is it possible to change the role for Gargoyle? The character that uses the gauntlet is shown in thirdperson, and the wings of Gargoyle disturb the visual a bit...
Maybe Gargoyle could be used for one of the characters that are able to "fly" over other pieces...

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 05:18:48 AM »

Well, when I decided which model will replace which one, I didn't assign them by the roles, I assign them by similarities firstly then by random. As I said, it's a mockup.

That doesn't means they're unchangeable, but first I want to know about every problem and then fix them all once. So if anybody lists that which model should assign to which rule, I'll do that.

In the original version, Klesk was that grunt model and because there is a super-version also defined, I chose Gargoyle for that task. I don't know any spare model which could be assigned for the role. Maybe Grism with a Classic skin for super.... since I use Indigo for SuperSarge.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »

I did some other try.
Also the "sorceress", that uses Angelyss/Rai too, suffers from the weapon bug, like the "archer"...

The bug that if you use the "join" menu when you are mid-game you will always end to spectate happens also under Q3.

Also another bug affects it under both OperArena and Q3A, too: if I create a multiplayer match: sometimes the console begins writing many (continuous) error messages about the g_knockback value, that it says is out of range... while it is set to 1000 (the default) instead...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:15:15 PM by Gig » Logged

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 03:01:14 PM »

Great. The spectator bug needs a disassembled or uncompiled qvm to fix. What I don't have. But that knockback problem sounds like another mismatch.

I'll do some tests as well and then try to fix what I find.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 03:16:30 PM »

I just updated the my previous post: the g_knockback error messagge happens also under Q3A...

What about making a try to see if the email of the author (that is in the readme file) is still valid/used? Maybe he could still have the source code of the mod...

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 05:04:38 PM »

Yes do it, some old Q3 projects are just in dust and ignore they could be quite valuable to us.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 01:09:17 AM »

E-mail have been sent. Although Google didn't find an usage of that e-mail address after 2003, Hotmail could send that mail.

But still, if there will be no reply, I must ignore the leftover bugs.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 10:30:46 AM »

For the "weapon too big" big, I was thinking... is it possible to change the weapon with another one? Maybe one taken from an old OA release (I started playing the game with 0.8.5... thus I'm not sure, but maybe I read somewhere that some weapon models have been updated through time)...

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 10:47:49 AM »

It's not the weapon model's problem, it's the structure of Angelyss which results with that stupid weapon placement.

Usually a model is sliced to three part, head, torso and legs, but for Angelyss, these aren't valid. The whole model is in one part to have a bouncing breast, AFAIK, and in normal play this isn't a problem since the camera's/monitor's placement is fixed. In this mod it also varies and I think that for some pieces, it's attached to the torso, what Angelyss's modelfile doesn't have.

Angelyss's special status has been numerously mentioned, and I did the mistake by not counting that in.

My next version will exclude Angelyss, since she could be used in only those cases, where the camera is in third-person's view. And those figures are good as is.

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 03:21:36 PM »

Well, I fixed the model-related problems.

Wiki will be updated.

Also, if I got an e-mail reply, I'll rewrite the mod... but the name will be different, IMO. Also, Angelyss is included as Phoenix.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 03:25:54 PM »

The whole model is in one part to have a bouncing breast, AFAIK,

The costume and the bare midriff needed the unification. You can't do a pastiche of ridiculous japan-influenced conceptual female warrior design on the 3-components player layout. You also have to consider the tag_torso split visibly affecting shading. I didn't want that on her, so that's how it was done. It wasn't for the bouncing breasts - that one was a bonus.

Also, the long hair of arachna made her head an upper.md3 component.

Weapons Factory Arena I thought was very fun, but the models are all skins on Q3 stock stuff, and WFA has been forgotten about in a long time I kind of feel bad for them!!!

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 03:41:43 PM »

Oh, sorry about Angelyss.

But don't give up hope about WFA. It's still available on Fileplanet, so I give that a try, too.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 03:28:19 AM »

ARQ patch download on my hosting updated. Thank you Graion!

jackmcbarn
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 12:08:53 PM »

I have WFA working on OpenArena.  It's at 71.236.85.115:27967, called "Weapons Factory Arena - Fast D/L" in the server list.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 10:23:49 AM »

Hi!
I've just learnt (reading here, where you can see a video -which uses a third-party map available there-) that it exists a 2D Quake 3 mod. It's called Quake III Platformer.
http://www.quakeunity.com/file=1676

I don't know when I will have some time to try it and to see if it works with OpenArena or not... however, if you wanna take a look in the meanwhile and let us know...

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »

Another 2D mod is Target Quake 3.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: