plasma gun - 1 (3.7%)
grappling hook - 0 (0%)
nail gun - 7 (25.9%)
proximity mine - 11 (40.7%)
chain gun - 4 (14.8%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: which weapon is worser?  (Read 39460 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 03:07:27 PM »

Someone talked about OA_CTF4ISH map and its being "unbalanced" (railgun campers). I think a possible solution may be let the shots pass through the "grids" of the railgun platforms, like in the original Q3CTF4 (so you will be able to attack the camper from his feet). Anyway, there is a specific thread about that map, we can talk there.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 04:22:01 PM »

That map's gonna get nixed anyway. It's already moved in the SVN to a tribute pack directory. In case you didn't get the memo, a large number of tribute maps are leaving the base distribution

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 04:58:10 PM »

a large number of tribute maps are leaving the base distribution
If you want my personal and humble opinion, this isn't a good idea. I find some tribute maps awesome (I've seen even a 24/24h, 7/7d server for WRACKDM17 only -a map better than the original one, for gameplay, since it removes the rail camping problem-).

Anyway, even an additional map pack may need to be improved... ^_^ And probably it would be better to fix them before putting them there..
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 12:59:58 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
TwEeK!
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 11:11:51 PM »

I gotta say the lightning gun irritates me the most. If an opponent has it, it almost always seems like it's all they ever carry, they've got it all the time, and that it only takes a fraction of a second to destroy me, even if I'm all super-healthed, super-armored, battle-suited and dodging well. Yet, in my hands, I might as well be shaking a baby rattle at my opponents. It never decimates my opponents as quickly as it does when they use it against me. And even if I'm trying to always have it available and really work on my precision/use of it, I don't seem to be able to accomplish either of these goals.

I used to feel somewhat similar regarding railguns, but that is passing as I improve with it's use myself. And at least I AM improving with use, unlike my abilities with the lightning gun.

The lightning gun reminds me of freshwater fishing with a spinnerbait, LOL! For some reason, I just can't catch a fish on one of those. I've been next to a fishing buddy throwing one just like his, throwing it just like him (or so I think), and nothin'! Never feel a tap even. Yet homeboy is pullin' in 5-to-10-pounders next to my nothing. I switch to any other bait - cranks, plastics, a shoe, whatever, and at least I can catch as many fish as him, although they're never as large (this guy is seriously a fishing badash (Ha! foiled you, lil' filter, I hope!). Someday he'll appear on ESPN at 4 in the morning....

Mines make me worry about them lagging a map (was a problem experienced in my old Interstate '76 days, having to do with the more mines that had to be remembered/tracked on a map, the laggier things got for everybody). But, they don't really seem to have this effect in OpenArena (GOOD JOB, CODERS!). And I must say, there's really nothing like having Logan slap a pair of them on you like earmuffs, or if he's in a bad mood simply hide one in your bootybox. It's just damn funny. Definitely more fun than getting gauntlet-humiliated multiple times in a row. Speaking of which, some day I'll have to relate to you all why I love the "humiliation" bit in this game - another precious memory from my days as an Interstate '76 "legend." :-)

-- TwEeK!
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2010, 05:29:41 AM »

OK grenade launcher is the worst imo. but i voted chaingun because it runs out of ammo so quick and it has a large spread so you have to be close. Someone stated that plasma and nailgun require you to know where your opponent is going to be before firing but how is that different from the rocket launcher? also mines can be spammed by noobs and rockets easly clean them out but that is not using them properly. you should pick one up then place them around not all at once but as you go along your merryway in clever tricky places so that your opponent has to be on guard for them Wink As someone also pointed out grapple isnt really a weapon per say. in some mods like defrag you dont even switch to it you just push a button so... still the thing I find funnest is that the bfg in this poll? and that it has votes lol  Cheesy

Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none!

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2010, 11:48:56 AM »

That is an experience issue. RG is very difficult to master, and in order to become good with it, you need really good prediction and map understanding. If you look at great railers, they will aim at the correct spot before the person even arrives. This takes lots of skill and training, and very few people achieve it.

Umm, back in my time this was called camping, and this is not what makes the RG difficult to master.

Most of us have inconsistent results with the railgun, like you describe. It makes the weapon unreliable, and you don't like using it as a result -- the more important the shot, the more nervous you get, the more you miss. But if you spec some great 1vs1 players, they are really consistent because they know exactly where to aim, and don't need huge mouse movement Smiley

Camping in 1vs1 is generally not a good idea if you do it in the same spot for more than one kill, it makes you predictable and you deny yourself the opportunity to go out on juice runs and collect armor and powerups if you hang around for too long. That being said, finding a camping spot in 1vs1 is really not that hard once you understand how your opponent traverses the map on his juice runs.

If you watch demos of pros railing you'll see them making twitch shots fairly consistently, they're able to put their crosshairs on the target and squeeze off a shot in an instant (so fast non fps-players don't see it happening at all and noobs start yelling 'bot'). It takes a delagged server, high mouse sensitivity and a lot of practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiP9HKf7yIw
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:24:32 PM by 7 » Logged

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2010, 03:37:53 PM »

OK first of all not all railing is camping ok. and twitch shots work if your at close range with the person. and your both jumping around trying to kill eachother. sometimes you want to snipe them from across the map. Then you want to aim for where they will be and fire so that you wont miss and let them get behind cover. Wink and the same logic applies even more to rockets! try specing someone really good with one of them Azn

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2010, 04:02:17 PM »

OK first of all not all railing is camping ok. and twitch shots work if your at close range with the person.

Hey, even if all railing were camping I wouldn't complain, I've been a 1vs1 player for years and I think camping is an important part of 1vs1 tactics (if you do it right). Wink I was just stating that camping and sniping doesn't take as much skill or practice as hitting someone with a twitch shot does.

My personal favorite use of the RG is the RL/RG combo by the way: hit someone with a rocket, switch to RG and rail him as fast as you can. Absolutely devastating to your opponent, and if you rail him in mid air and he doesn't die by any chance, just walk away and let him crater.  Evil

Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2010, 06:15:05 PM »

lol that is awesome  Grin I have never tried a rl/rg tactic. Imma check that out. but isnt just shooting again with the rl faster? cuz you dont have to wait for the weapon to switch?

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2010, 07:04:23 PM »

lol that is awesome  Grin I have never tried a rl/rg tactic. Imma check that out. but isnt just shooting again with the rl faster? cuz you dont have to wait for the weapon to switch?

If you switch weapons immediately after firing the rocket the switching time isn't really a big problem and since a hitscan weapon like the RG hits the target instantly but a rocket takes time to reach the same target the problem is reduced even further. Off course after the rail shot you have to wait for the RG to reload before you can switch weapons or fire again, and that takes a lot longer (this makes rocket/shotgun combos better suited for fighting at shorter distances, closer still you forget about the rockets and go for lightning gun only).

(You can tap the weapon switch keys earlier but in unmodified q3/OA the weapon switch occurs only after the weapon you're holding is reloaded.)

Found a few examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRs1B03LSAI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a88gzEk_7Ds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZa9e5wyhhQ
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 08:39:42 PM by 7 » Logged

Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2010, 11:47:12 PM »

OK you can turn off/not show the gun with some command I can't remember. But can you eliminate the weapon switch time? because it seems like some ppl are just able to switch on a dime. But now that I think about it the times that I try to switch real quick are right after I shot, so if the gun has to reload, that explains it.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2010, 02:09:49 AM »

OK you can turn off/not show the gun with some command I can't remember.
DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Weapon]\cg_drawgun 0, 1, 2, 3.

Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2010, 02:54:56 AM »

right you can show or not show the gun. but what about changing immediatly with out the delag while the gun "switches"?

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2010, 03:48:44 AM »

right you can show or not show the gun. but what about changing immediatly with out the delag while the gun "switches"?

That's impossible in regular Quake 3 and OpenArena, you'll have to play a mod like CPMA if you want that. A significant part of of the videos you find on Youtube are CPMA because it was the mod preferred by competitive 1vs1 players before the introduction of Quake Live, which might explain why you think it can be done in regular Q3/OA.

Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2010, 05:40:22 AM »

i have never played quake 3 or looked at vids on youtube.  Azn I was just asking if it could be done because like I said some ppl "seem" to be able to switch quicker then me and it would be nice not to have to wait.  Cheesy

HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2010, 06:58:43 AM »

Umm, back in my time this was called camping, and this is not what makes the RG difficult to master.
Hrm, back in my day, camping is when you stayed in a certain part of the map that was easy to defend, and waited for the opponents to come to you.

Predicting where the opponent is does not mean that you're camping. It means that you can predict where your opponent is. You can do this while moving around the map.

I was talking about aiming at a spot for a second or less, not 5 minutes Wink

If you watch demos of pros railing you'll see them making twitch shots fairly consistently, they're able to put their crosshairs on the target and squeeze off a shot in an instant (so fast non fps-players don't see it happening at all and noobs start yelling 'bot'). It takes a delagged server, high mouse sensitivity and a lot of practice
I'm not saying that pros do not twitch rail, I'm saying that they will often anticipate where you will be and aim at the proper spot, in order to reduce the amount of twitching they have to do.

Surely you know what I'm talking about. Very few players do a 90-degree twitch on every shot.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2010, 07:36:12 AM »

Hrm, back in my day, camping is when you stayed in a certain part of the map that was easy to defend, and waited for the opponents to come to you.

As long as you hang around a small part of the map to wait for your opponent it's camping. Defending the camping spot is not that important when playing 1vs1 where the goal is to ambush your opponent, so its better to camp out of his line of sight than close to the goodies he's going for. (Imagine picking a good spot for a deer hunt and you've got the picture.)

I was talking about aiming at a spot for a second or less, not 5 minutes Wink

Agreed, most anti-camping mods take action after a player hangs around one spot for 5 seconds.

jessicaRA
Lesser Nub

Cakes 16

Wild pony spotted derping around oasago2.

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2010, 11:38:17 AM »

grenades are a good replacement for rockets when don't have them, just have to take gravity in to account and the half bounce.  lightning seems hard to use well, i always get enough knockback to keep me suspended in the air when against good players yet when i use it against them it really is like shaking a rattle at them lol.  as for rail, i'm not good at predicting so i tend to be slow with it.  after 3 years..  lol
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2010, 11:52:19 PM »

LG isn't hard to use at all, it takes a month to get a little good at it but after you can't improve that much. That's why everyone says it's overpowered, easy, powerfull, lightning.
PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 05:07:42 AM »

Plasma Gun!

Especially with my FPS and Ping  Cheesy

OPEN ARENA!!!!... it's cool

-PWNAGE- Anonymous Browsing
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2010, 05:24:31 AM »

Plasma Gun!

Especially with my FPS and Ping  Cheesy

Wow, that's a horrible ping and FPS.

Is that how it always is for you?

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2010, 05:34:27 AM »

His ping is beacause he's playing using this (seeing his ping, I suppose a standard 56k modem would be better for Q3A/OA).

About frame rate, there are many DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options]graphic options one can work with, to get better FPS...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 06:14:32 AM by Gig » Logged

Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 06:00:23 AM »

Ah, that's wireless internet isn't it?

Wireless is the worst for online gaming.

His graphics look smooth though, could be another reason why the FPS sucks.

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 07:16:29 AM »

deliberatly messing with things so he could take that pic and make a point?

PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2010, 04:55:49 AM »

Ah, that's wireless internet isn't it?

Wireless is the worst for online gaming.

His graphics look smooth though, could be another reason why the FPS sucks.
Yes, Wireless isnt designed for online gaming, thats why im going ADSL (a bit better)

And the FPS is probably bad because om my S**T pc. at first it had no sound and no graphics driver so i updated them and thats what i got

OPEN ARENA!!!!... it's cool

-PWNAGE- Anonymous Browsing
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: