Poll
Question: which fix do you want?
being able to shoot through the "grid"
remove railgun
replace with something else say nailgun,lightning, or hey maybe battlesuit
put a trap similar to tourney6ish_ctf
some sort of hazard on the platform(lava,slime,electricity)
remove platforms and have the railgun suspended
move the platforms behind that base and extend the whole map
moving platforms? (this idea needs work)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: oa_ctf4ish needs balance for campers  (Read 147050 times)
lingenfr
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #150 on: October 28, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »

Or maybe just implement anti-camping, say if you remain on the same platform longer than 30 seconds you die and you can't respawn for 30 seconds. Seems like that one feature would sort out many maps.
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2010, 12:32:46 AM »

ok putting it in mid air so there isnt an infinite supply will fix the whole map imo. thats it you dont need a "grid" just put it in midair not on the platform Cheesy

Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none!
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2010, 03:16:50 AM »

Problem isn't only people who stay on railplatform, but people who rail from defense.
Once you have not much ammo you can kill yourself (or let yourself be killed) and respawn with full rail ammo (10) which is a bit too much.

Todo: Walk the cat.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #153 on: October 29, 2010, 04:35:02 AM »

Problem isn't only people who stay on railplatform, but people who rail from defense.
Once you have not much ammo you can kill yourself (or let yourself be killed) and respawn with full rail ammo (10) which is a bit too much.

was it schlorri that made a change where the dropped weapon only contained as much ammo as the player had when he dropped it? i think that was an excellent patch. might have been for q3min though. i would like to see that implemented. it's strange that a used weapon contains as much ammo as a weapon picked up at the weapon's spawn place.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2010, 06:53:50 AM »

Wasn't OpenArena supposed to do not change such "rules" from Q3A?

I'm not sure that changing a general rule to fix camping in one specific map would be a great idea...
Even if saying that a dropped weapon should have only the remaining ammo from the previous player has got sense... we all know that Q3 is meant to be a fast, dynamic "arcade" game, not to be a realistic "simulation" ... in general, I suppose that picking up a weapon with 1 or 2 ammo would be useless...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #155 on: October 29, 2010, 11:00:35 AM »

Default gameplay shouldn't be changed, but has already been changed with independent fps physics.
I suppose that picking up a weapon with 1 or 2 ammo would be useless...
That's the point of this feature ! Cheesy
I'd vote to see it implemented as a server-side cvar too, not only because of this particular problem but because that could bring some more advanced strategies into gameplay.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2010, 11:17:19 AM »

As a server-side cvar, it's ok for me... but not by default...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2010, 01:27:02 PM »

I know it's not about balance, but somehow I can never land on that rail platform on 125 fps physics from the middle. I always fly over. Cool

This is some kind of balance, actually... and this happens with stock, um3 and Udi's version.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2010, 03:21:43 PM »

I know it's not about balance, but somehow I can never land on that rail platform on 125 fps physics from the middle. I always fly over.

You have some air control with the vanilla Q3 physics too (not as much as with CPM), just push the backwards button while in the air, and you will slow down.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »

Yeah, I know... but that wasn't enough.  Grin

At least, for me.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2010, 02:44:46 AM »

Yeah, I know... but that wasn't enough.  Grin

Hmm... it should be enough. What are your g_gravity and g_speed values?

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2010, 03:51:00 AM »

Never mind, my fault.

I thought I should go forward to reach that platform not backward.

Hell, for 5 years I did it wrong...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2011, 03:54:42 AM »

Hi guys!
Time for next OpenArena release is running out...
What about fixing OA_CTF4ISH this week?

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #163 on: November 07, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »

It was a long time ago, so correct me if I'm wrong, are these the changes we all agreed to do?
- make railplatforms shoot-trough
- make BFG platform smaller
- make the two portals symmetric

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2011, 02:59:05 PM »

agree Smiley
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #165 on: November 07, 2011, 03:19:49 PM »

It's okay for me.
But, scrolling back the thread, I've found a post with some feedback from Cacatoes that mentioned that bfg platform has already been reduced in some beta (and mentioned rocketlauncher problems at 125fps physics?)...

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #166 on: November 07, 2011, 03:36:52 PM »

- RL is at right height with current physics, so it's fine.
- Symetry of teleporters doesn't annoy me and I actually like it since it gives 2 different ways to practice tricks.
- Agreed for the rest
- There were also the "protections on RL platforms", but I haven't tested them in real conditions.

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #167 on: November 09, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »

I have a glitch which I can't figure out (happens with the previous unaltered maps too):

Maybe it's the Netradiant version I'm using (20110819), because I also have problems with compiling. Anyway, we don't have much time for that, so a more experienced mapper should overtake the job!

Version 5 (glitched):
- jumppad arrows are properly colored (blue/red according where they lead)
- walls on RL platforms removed
- no bot support
- no levelshot
Package (.map included): z_oactf4ish2_v5.pk3

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2011, 02:16:00 AM »

I'd like to do it, but I'm not capable.

I suppose we have to hope Neon Knight or someone else may find the time to do it. But I see Neon is already doing much work on maps on these days, I don't know if he will have the time to take fix this one, too.
Let's hope...

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #169 on: November 13, 2011, 11:06:55 AM »

Looks like it was a NetRadiant problem, because compiling with GtkRadiant works well:
http://download.tuxfamily.org/openarena/upload/z_oa_ctf4ish2_v6.pk3

PK3 includes the aas, bsp, map, shader and arena file.
aas was created, bsp were changed, other files are untouched.

thx cacatoes for web space Wink
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:33:01 AM by Peter Silie » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #170 on: November 14, 2011, 10:44:21 AM »

I will try this evening.

PS: you missed http:// at the beginning of the url. I really don't like this behavior of recent web browsers that do not show the protocol part of URLs... it brings to such problems!

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #171 on: November 14, 2011, 11:32:45 AM »

I missed the point, that my browser (updated some days ago) now hides the protocol Sad(
I will edit my post above Wink
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #172 on: November 14, 2011, 11:44:56 AM »

I tried it out. It seems that all works fine (bots,too) but I am missing textures on some jumppads... maybe you took textures from the new patch? (i havent it in)
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #173 on: November 14, 2011, 01:41:43 PM »

There were no texture in Udis pk3.
Which textures are missing? i just compiled the map and took a look on the jumppads because of the glitches.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2011, 03:25:33 PM »

I have no problem with the jumppad textures on this map (v6 from Peter), even if I remove the patch.

I'm curious of what that shoot-through-grid will give in real match condition, we can both shoot from ground to top and from up to ground, I suspect it's for the good :p

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: