Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Missionpack menu layouts  (Read 12460 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: June 18, 2010, 05:33:18 AM »

I'm getting sick of this half...ish layout, any other efficient alternatives?
i'd want to keep something simple and maintainable.

The system doesn't allow for UT-like window menus, so... we have to have some K.I.S.S. design principles here.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 06:15:54 AM »

Another menu layout?
DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/NIQ3]NIQ3 mod[/i] had a nice customized menu, do you like something similar?

Something like it could be nice also for baseoa, maybe...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 06:30:27 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 06:26:54 AM »

Hey... that's UI Expanded.

Unfortunately that doesn't include the TA additions.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 06:36:09 AM »

UIEnhanced doesn't count. that's not .menu files anyway, and its design is just a mess.

though random skirmishes is a good idea. maybe an instant action button (with gametype chosen only) would be cool for that

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 07:41:50 AM »

Or add a "Create a quick online match" button to the main menu. The submenu would only consist of "Select the map" (with or without preview) "Select a mode" "Fraglimit" "Timelimit" "Player name", an "Additional options" tab (Instagib, pure, physics, etc.) and the Launch Listen/Dedicated server, Spectate and Go back buttons. Everything in one screen.

Same with "Instant action".

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 10:55:36 AM »

Just a question... why don't simply follow the one from the Original Team Arena? Obviously redrawing the graphics...
(Screenshot taken from Team Arena Demo)

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 11:23:22 AM »

No copycating. That's why.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 11:51:42 AM »

No copycating. That's why.
Uh? You did not rearranged completely the menu from baseq3 to baseoa (fortunately, so it is easier for who already knows Q3A menus!)... why spending your precious time rearranging it from scratch for the missionpack? If TA menu is GPLv2, I don't see the problem with reusing it, changing the graphics but maintaing its structure. If the problem is that you find that it is not comfortable and you think you can do something better (myself find it not the best menu in the world), this would be a better explaination... ^_^

Well, other than suggesting a menu style similar to the one seen in NIQ3, I don't know what to suggest to you....
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:21:11 PM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 12:11:14 PM »

TA menu code, yes, but TA menu content (including the .menu files used to make the menues) NO. That's why.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 12:18:13 PM »

TA menu code, yes, but TA menu content (including the .menu files used to make the menues) NO. That's why.
Okay. This is an explaination. Thank you.
Also if I don't know how it is possible to put standard functions like "add bot" or "join game" inside a menu changing these options to avoid copyright problems... are we sure that such simple menu entries are copyrightable? I suppose they could be quite simple lists of commands or something similar... PS: I've never seen those .menu files, please understand me...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:54:39 PM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 01:17:49 PM »

http://rfactory.org/scripting.html
http://linux.ucla.edu/~phaethon/q3tamenu/q3tamenu.html

Those are manuals for Q3TA menu buildings.

I guess that's enough.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 06:03:36 PM »

It seems not too easy...
... good luck!  Smiley

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 05:21:51 PM »

I tried my simple "buttons around the OA logo in center" idea. It's VERY HARD to align there.

Maybe i'll just do something Doom3-ish, like the main buttons on the bottom, and everything popping up to the center..

I reeallllllly REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY wish the menu system was redone, UWindows style (Unreal Tournament) with neat little scripts defining just windows instead of entire screens, also reducing redundancy (no more having to recreate new menus separately for ingame and main menu) but that's grasping at straws. UT's ui always gets praise left and right, yet no one ever wants to imitate it, not even in the mods for UT sequels...

I also noticed TA's font selection system is completely broken. I can't even explicitly use different font sizes or fonts. A blurry Deja Vu Sans everywhere on everything isn't going to be good.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: