Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: OA Improvement Topic  (Read 38354 times)
RMF

Cakes 12

« on: October 08, 2010, 03:48:30 PM »

Hello all,

I have been following the topic "Is this game still alive", and one of the things coming back again and again was that nothing ever changed which doesn't attract players. Or even worse, make them leave after some time.
This topic might be wasted, but I still want to do an attempt to do something for OA. Complaints are easily made (just look at that topics' size), but now let's really do this!

This is one of the last things said:
Quote from: Vindimy
I think the problem here isn't with le1lol, but with the unfilled positions that are required in any project.
I agree with that, so I thought "Then let's make them filled!" But how to do so? How could we do that? Is there currently a list with things lei and the other developers need help with?
I didn't see anything.
So here we go, a topic dedicated to organising Openarena development a bit more.

This is a collection of things I've read in the still-alive topic we'd need:
- Someone to promote Openarena whereever possible

- Someone updating the website
  + More media (screenshots, wallpapers, videos)?
  + Posting any development there is
  + Expanding download section?

- "Communicating with users": the forum seems fine?
  + A mailinglist for server admins and other people wanting to receive notifications about updates

- Someone "Classifying bug reports" (no clue about this one, don't follow the dev stuff enough)
  Update: Use DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Bugs]this wiki page, for now at least.

- Someone planning who does what, and setting+adjusting goals for the next release(s): lei maybe? And I'll keep track of the topic and update this post too.

- Speeding up texture replacement by asking more people to work on it.
  Update: DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_missing_textures]List of missing textures, DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_missing_textures_and_shaders_of_Q3_and_TA_maps]List of missing shaders of Q3 and TA maps.

- Someone working on the sounds
  Update: DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_missing_sounds]List of missing sounds.

- A real manual: I'd be honored to work on this if I knew it'd get in the game (just tell me what format).
  + a (primitive) demo player to show things explained in the manual?

- Maybe expand and include the "friendfinder" with the game, or whatever other tools there are made for this purpose (or maybe make a client which notifies you)?

- Someone setting up matches now and then for testing how new features and enchangements work out

- Some place to collect all feature/enchangement requests like default settings or brightskins (maybe a stickytopic somewhere?)

- A list with remodelling or reskinning there is to do (like for the "invisible" models)
  Update: How about collecting it DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Bugs]on the wiki bug page below the kyonshi, Gargoyle, Major and Liz bugs?

- Maybe someone who can do AI improvement (could we contact the developers of CPMA?)

Everyone can do one or more of these things I think! It's not that hard to create for example some nice screenshots for a bigger media page. Or promote the game somewhere. And some people are better in programming (friendfinder client) while others can better draw (finish texture replacement) or photoshop (making wallpapers from screenshots maybe).

If a topic needs to be discussed in detail or there are requests for a specific topic, just create a new topic in help wanted or development or whereever is appropriate. General stuff about organisation and clarification here, detailed stuff in an own topic (I'll link to it from here to keep things organised).

Question I still have for fromhell or another dev:
- If someone wants to do something, and he/she replies here, who will or may approve if the role will be given to him/her or not (or conditionally given or whatever the case is.. just who's gonna be in charge (think it should be multiple people))?
- Where to post results, make an own topic for each subject?
- What do you think of this topic and this idea in general, can we get going like this or is there anything to be changed about the concept?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 01:18:46 PM by RMF » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 05:26:03 PM »

Quote from: RMF
- Maybe expand and add the "friendfinder" to the game, or whatever other tools there are made for this purpose (or maybe make a client which notifies you)?
Fortunately, there are some externals tools that do it, more or less easily. For the moment, I added DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=FAQ&diff=7150&oldid=7146]this to the FAQ page.

- Someone "Classifying bug reports" (no clue about this one, don't follow the dev stuff enough)
About bug reports, they are mostly handled via the forum, but forums nature causes old/unfinished/unnoticed discussions go to oblivion. I'm trying to maintain the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Bugs]Bugs page on the wiki updated (after I put a new bug on the forum, if it not corrected by someone in some days, I add it to the list in the Wiki, too -with the link to the forum post for details-), to maintain a trace of its existence (thus, a dev may see the bug in the list and then go to the original post)...
Anyway, the last week I asked about a "bugzilla" style site, to track bug status in a more professional way... Fromhell replied that there is already something for that: this... but I and Cacatoes were a little confused, seeing that, in theory, it should be dedicated to DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OAX]OAX only... we asked if it would be okay to use it for all the OpenArena bugs (including those related to the executable files, to the maps, to the models...), but he have not replied yet.

- A real manual: I'd be honored to work on this if I knew it'd get in the game (just tell me what format).
What do you mean with a "real" manual? Isn't it DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual]this? I spent much time expanding it... maybe now Ston3r will give a hand, too...
If you are talking about an in-game manual, what about the one that we are preparing here? It is almost completed. Sure, it is a sort of "patch"... would you like to place it directly in the source code? Are we 100% sure that all the text is completely written by us? Everything that comes with official releases of the game must be under GPLv2...
Maybe we could create some tutorial videos and upload them on youtube (possibily without copyrighted music! Anyway, music is not needed in tutorials!) or similar?
Speeding up texture replacement by asking more people to work on it (think we'll need a texture-todo list? Maybe a Php script which makes keeping track of things easier (so you can just tick what's done or pending))
There are some pages in the wiki about them... I suppose that "stiking" (<s>...</s>) the lines of the textures already done (and maybe delete that lines or re-generate the whole page after the new release that contains them comes out) may be enough, without the need to use additional scripts... no?
* DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_missing_textures]List of missing textures
* DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_missing_textures_and_shaders_of_Q3_and_TA_maps]List of missing textures and shaders of Q3 and TA maps (Maybe we should verify if there are some elements duplicated with the above page)
* DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_missing_sounds]List of missing sounds
But somebody have to do the work.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 03:29:41 AM »

Quote from: RMF
- Maybe expand and add the "friendfinder" to the game, or whatever other tools there are made for this purpose (or maybe make a client which notifies you)?
Fortunately, there are some externals tools that do it, more or less easily. For the moment, I added DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=FAQ&diff=7150&oldid=7146]this to the FAQ page.
But none is really made for and included with OA or available for download at this website, and without that I think the number of people using it is very small.
About bug reports, they are mostly handled via the forum, but forums nature causes old/unfinished/unnoticed discussions go to oblivion. I'm trying to maintain the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Bugs]Bugs page on the wiki updated (after I put a new bug on the forum, if it not corrected by someone in some days, I add it to the list in the Wiki, too -with the link to the forum post for details-), to maintain a trace of its existence (thus, a dev may see the bug in the list and then go to the original post)...
Anyway, the last week I asked about a "bugzilla" style site, to track bug status in a more professional way... Fromhell replied that there is already something for that: this... but I and Cacatoes were a little confused, seeing that, in theory, it should be dedicated to DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OAX]OAX only... we asked if it would be okay to use it for all the OpenArena bugs (including those related to the executable files, to the maps, to the models...), but he have not replied yet.
Oh I didn't know about that wiki page, nice job. May not work perfect, but I guess good enough Smiley
What do you mean with a "real" manual? Isn't it DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual]this? I spent much time expanding it... maybe now Ston3r will give a hand, too...
If you are talking about an in-game manual, what about the one that we are preparing here? It is almost completed. Sure, it is a sort of "patch"... would you like to place it directly in the source code? Are we 100% sure that all the text is completely written by us? Everything that comes with official releases of the game must be under GPLv2...
I don't really mind what licence it gets.
But yeah I meant a manual included with OA, not a wiki page. We might actually copy a lot from the wiki though (it changed a lot since last time i saw, so didn't know there was so much on Wink ), but it should get downloaded with the game.
Ingame would be even better, but I guess that might be too much work. The console manual I made is good for players like you and me, but the guys newly playing it won't open up the console and try the /help command. I remember when I was new someone told me to open the console, but I didn't have any idea what he meant so had to ask "The what? And how do you do that, open it?".
When a doc file (or odf we should maybe use) is just in the /openarena folder I think a lot more people will read it.
Maybe we could create some tutorial videos and upload them on youtube (possibily without copyrighted music! Anyway, music is not needed in tutorials!) or similar?
Again, this isn't included with the game. For example I was playing NFS World lately, and didn't know howto do something, so I asked the other online players 'how do you ...' but no reply. There was no manual ingame and I'm just not interrested enough to get on youtube searching for the answer (or a tutorial or whatever). To look on a wiki page or google it didn't even cross my mind. If there had been a link to the manual in the start menu or ingame or something, I'd surely have looked though.
Speeding up texture replacement by asking more people to work on it (think we'll need a texture-todo list? Maybe a Php script which makes keeping track of things easier (so you can just tick what's done or pending))
There are some pages in the wiki about them... I suppose that "stiking" (<s>...</s>) the lines of the textures already done (and maybe delete that lines or re-generate the whole page after the new release that contains them comes out) may be enough, without the need to use additional scripts... no?
* DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_missing_textures]List of missing textures
* DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_missing_textures_and_shaders_of_Q3_and_TA_maps]List of missing textures and shaders of Q3 and TA maps (Maybe we should verify if there are some elements duplicated with the above page)
* DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_missing_sounds]List of missing sounds
But somebody have to do the work.
H0ly crap that is quite a list :O
Made my browser quite slow and I think some computers can't even handle it at all (as many OA players play Oa cause they have a sucky connection and/or computer). How about splitting each page into a few parts?
And why should all of them be retextured, I took a random one (textures/gothic_ceiling/ceilingtechplain) and it was just there in the svn. Or is it still from Q3 (which I thought couldn't be cause that's copyrighted)?
hkn
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 04:00:57 AM »

Great, i thought that OA need more clear goals for the releases.

The only that IMHO its a really waste of time and resources is the "Q3 replacement project".
In their beggining, OA was a "GPL Quake3 Clone", but i think it's time to leave that path and focus in OA like a game itself (this is already happening).

Better maps, better models, better sounds and better textures takes a lots of time to spent on it, while the overall gfx quality is stacked in 1998 (some maps&models raises this bar by long shot, but there are others that seems more from Quake2 than the XXI century.

Dont misunderstand me, i really like the OA gameplay, but if we want to bring the game to a wider audience, we need to walk some steps foward in the "look and feel" side (if someone touch the physics i kill him  Tongue)

ToDo >> / 1. New map, Greyscale / 2. Mapmodels / 3. New weapons  / 4. In-game music
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 04:58:47 AM »

H0ly crap that is quite a list :O
Made my browser quite slow and I think some computers can't even handle it at all (as many OA players play Oa cause they have a sucky connection and/or computer). How about splitting each page into a few parts?
And why should all of them be retextured, I took a random one (textures/gothic_ceiling/ceilingtechplain) and it was just there in the svn. Or is it still from Q3 (which I thought couldn't be cause that's copyrighted)?

My old pc, with Firefox, opens those pages correcly and smooth enough. I suppose many people have better computer than mine (that is back from 2001!) and should handle those pages correctly. However, a 56k would be very slow, I suppose. But maybe there is no need to slit the pages.

I did not checked on the svn... if they are listed there, maybe nobody has updated the wiki page after having created some new textures? I do not even know who are the guys here that develop the textures, here. Maybe "Udi"? I see some edits from "Udi86" in those pages' history. Maybe we could hask him how to update them...

About the manual, firsty I would add the link to it direcly in the main page of the site.... anyway maybe including a document inside the download package would be nice... but simply copy/paste the pages in the manual sections would be strange (thus they contain many internal and external hyperlinks). I know that Wikipedia has got a way to create "books" (you select the wiki pages to add to this "book", then it exports it to an pdf or odf, maintaining the internal links as links to the specific page of the pdf document itself). But I don't know if Wikia allows this, too...
BTW, some days ago I found some sort of "printable version" of the manual section of the Wiki, where the manual's sub-pages were put together in one... I suppose that was an out-dated, manually created page... but I'm not able to find it now and I don't know... :-(

Quote from: hkn
The only that IMHO its a really waste of time and resources is the "Q3 replacement project".
I don't think this. There are still tons of great stuff created for Quake3 that are very nice. I think that the Q3 compatibility is still a great feature for Q3A, and I hope it will be further expanded. The new patch that allows almost-full compatibility with bots designed for Quake3 is great!
And who says that the compatibility textures have to suck? If the "compatibility textures" will be nice, in the future they may be used also inside new OpenArena-specific maps... right?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 09:19:54 AM »

My old pc, with Firefox, opens those pages correcly and smooth enough. I suppose many people have better computer than mine (that is back from 2001!) and should handle those pages correctly. However, a 56k would be very slow, I suppose. But maybe there is no need to slit the pages.
My previous PC (from 2006) sometimes had probs with big pages, but maybe they used a lot of JS or something idk.. Let's keep it as it is then.

simply copy/paste the pages in the manual sections would be strange (thus they contain many internal and external hyperlinks).
Lol ofcourse not directly copy/paste, just use (nearly) the same text and structure in the document.

Better maps, better models, better sounds and better textures takes a lots of time to spent on it, while the overall gfx quality is stacked in 1998 (some maps&models raises this bar by long shot, but there are others that seems more from Quake2 than the XXI century.
Yeah..
This is what most people say when talking about how to improve OA, "get some better graphics". But I think most people actually play this game because it's so low end. Upgrading the grapics probably makes it slow on the older machines.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 09:45:45 AM »

- Someone updating the website: iirc Udi did this right?

I don't have access to the site, I only made the themes, which were then send to fromhell, and he uploaded and applied it.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 01:19:09 PM »

Okay, I removed the last part of that item ^^

Fromhell/fromhell, could you reply to the questions at the end of the post please?
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 06:59:48 AM »

To give you some feeling about this topic,
- some people here already know their tasks and maybe they want to have the freedom to assume it or not, rather than being temporarily linked to it which would only help building a hardly maintainable bureaucracy, so it's not like they will be helped by more organization
- good thing is you identify a few useful tasks, like making some video tutorials which I think is a fun idea, it would be both a creative work (which if seriously made would be great) and something useful for the community.
To sum up, progress comes from one who identifies his/her own task and his/her ability to accomplish it, and individuals usually already know this by themselves. Of course some blabla can bring some good ideas, but I feel like it's harder to organize/formalize/maintain things on paper (which seems to be your intent in this post) than getting into them and accomplish them. So that's why I suggest, if you are willing to help, to get something valuable to find, which is at a level you can act on, and do it (which is what you already do I think) Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 10:01:10 AM »

hmmm so you mean like people don't like being tied to a task?
I think if they just start working on it while not saying they are, they aren't tied to it. You may be doing double work, but that's your own risk

Afaik, the best way to get things done in a team is just to write everything down and distribute tasks. Also, when I'd want to do something for oa which is not modelling/texturing or programming, I wouldn't have any idea. I could try helping newbs ingame or something, but that's not really something substantial. If i were to make a manual which could be included with the download (and shown in the windows' start menu or whatever), how would I know it gets in the game? If this list with tasks would be approved, I could be sure and I'd work on it.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 09:57:47 AM »

Okay then not. Let it die. You're thanked a lot :/

@everyone who did reply here, thanks for that.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 09:59:46 AM »

I'd like to know who is the better person when I have to ask something about a specific thing...

And, as I told before, I would like to see something in the "help wanted" section of the forum...

hkn
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 10:35:26 AM »

Okay then not. Let it die. You're thanked a lot :/

@everyone who did reply here, thanks for that.

Read mi signature  Tongue
I think that much of the improvements that OA need are in the graphics side, because i read so much times "im thinking to going linux, but the games..." and the typical answer "yes, there are games, but most are crappy open source clones or almost-dead indie projects"

A game (specially open source) need players, and the players only come if something catch their attention, so let it be visual improvement.

I have been playing Q3 almost since 2000' and that catch my attention was the fu**ing amazing graphics that have in year 1999-2000. Then i discover the best gameplay ever created and that was that definetely make me a Quake-lover. Remeber that when the game came out, only a few players with very high end PC can move it in high detail, so if the people want to play it, the people is gonna play it (if necessary vertexlight and r_picmip 4, so be it).

And i repeat again, i love the OA gameplay, but sometimes we need to view the game like a "product" and create features to attract new players and make the game everyday bigger.

Lately, after the Nexuiz fork, one of the "laws" of the new development is "more consistent art direction", and i can understand why, those amazing maps rendered with Darkplaces contrast with the crappy plastic-like weapons and player models.

ToDo >> / 1. New map, Greyscale / 2. Mapmodels / 3. New weapons  / 4. In-game music
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 11:15:28 AM »

Well, for me it took two and a half years to figure out how could I help this project. Smiley

I think if anybody tries to help, he/she can find a way to help. RMF, you're doing a good job with that manual, for example. Gig did a tremendous work on the wiki and the list goes on.

Help isn't objective and there are moments when some ideas worths nothing for somebody while worths a whole world to others. This should be accepted. Also, people shouldn't be tied to a task, because that is a vulnerability. If anybody happens to those, the subproject can die too easily.... which we can't afford ATM.

What I did is to check any available (silent, or looks abandoned) projects, think a moment about my knowledge and then offer my help. Of course only if I can aid that project.

Unfortunately our knowledge is limited, but that doesn't means we can't do anything. But this project isn't that big to speak about full-time development. We can only talk about contributions and while the progress is slow, it couldn't be hasten by pointing that "he does it, and we're waiting for him".

I have realized that I have no future nor as a mapper nor as a texturer. Still, I try to learn much about coding to help. I know that I still need some months to fully understand every logic of the game, but this is what I could do... but until I have no progress I didn't want to tell it, because if I can't follow my plans everybody'd hate me.

Oh, hkn, there is music. It was finished after OA 0.8.1, but since there are too less maps which include that, it wasn't included in the patch.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 01:20:06 PM »

I kinda agree with Graion, this is how things seem to go around that project: you discover the project silently, then you can participate on matters on which you have knowledge. I could work on some sounds for OA but I've never really done, because I'm not yet expert enough and results I get don't satisfy me, and I wouldn't engage myself in because it requires some knowledge I can't make the efforts to acquire, I usually prefer the "hey hey surprise here is some work" attitude. Smiley
Fortunately the work which has to be done is mostly improvements in this or that area, so there rarely are needs to work on something prior which would block someone else's work (which would probably require a bit more of organization and some kind of "one is being tied to that task"), but I think currently it's all natural to notify when such work is necessary.
And about this thread, maybe people didn't really need a new thread to repeat things they were saying in some other thread, when you feel there is a "crisis" and when some things need to be said you can concentrate on existing topics, thoughts won't get lost, but I was pretty sure things wouldn't take off easily if you try to start things from scratch, specially if there is no real authority behind this initiative, that may explain the few answers.
Moreover I'd suspect OA contributors can feel either confused or shy and don't want to tell their views on the project, or maybe they don't feel they are legitimate to do so. I wouldn't say it's a big problem, you can express some view which is not perfect and views are like an eternal debate on which you'll keep the best options from each individuals, at least it should be that way on a community driven project (which goes by pair with free softwares). So from one side you have fromhell who is too bored to answer about her views and on the other side you have developpers which don't feel they should answer. Right, it doesn't really help to go forward Wink

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 01:24:28 PM »

Well, for me it took two and a half years to figure out how could I help this project. Smiley

I think if anybody tries to help, he/she can find a way to help.
Yeah anyone may find a way, but 2.5years is a bit long. This topic was to prevent that people would have to search so long, or search at all, for ways to contribute.

If you're preferring the way of contributions, replace the word "task" everywhere with "contributions" btw. It doens't really matter what you call the things which just needed to get done.

Also it wasn't my intention to make things like "he does it, and we're waiting for him" happen, you can always rethink things on the moment it's needed. If someone is taking to long, someone could maybe make a temporary replacement for it. Or just say to the person, we want it then and then, else you have to share or quit the work.
There are always possibilities.

edit: oh cacatoes replied *reads and will edit again after*
edit2:
I usually prefer the "hey hey surprise here is some work" attitude
Yeah I guess that's the whole OA dev spirit.. Then how about just making the list of things to do, but just leave the thing that people should tell what they're doing (though I already mentioned that wasn't forced).
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 02:04:21 PM »

Yeah I guess that's the whole OA dev spirit.. Then how about just making the list of things to do, but just leave the thing that people should tell what they're doing (though I already mentioned that wasn't forced).

Like the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Bugs]bug list on the Wiki or the 0.8.6 todo thread? Some people started to put their todo list into their signature, IMHO that's a good way to show what they're working on.

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 02:41:49 PM »

Yeah I've noticed the sig's, kind of an odd way imo (first time i see this) but well whynot I guess.

And the 086 todo thread is just a topic for only 086, with people randomly announcing things. This was more for a global todo list with maybe (but that doesn't seem wanted) a global who-is-doing-what list.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 01:26:08 AM »

The Todo / Task list is a good idea, but, right, you can use existing posts to discuss them, or you can use some Wiki page I guess (I thought there was one).
Some "how to help" wiki page would make much sense, if there isn't already.
There is also this: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Roadmap but it may be no good here since it's tasks for specific OA versions.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 07:11:17 AM »

"How to help" page doesn't exists...
I found:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/DeveloperFAQ
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/DeveloperFAQ#How_can_I_contribute.3F
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/GoodPractices
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#I_want_to_contribute.21
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_manual_for_the_game.3F_Can_I_help_expanding_it.3F

Maybe "how to help" may be a redirect to "DeveloperFAQ"?

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 08:29:51 AM »

If you feel you can make fit extra informations in the DevelopperFAQ (depending on which extra info needs to be added) then that would be fine to keep it.
We may then add a notification in main page, next to the DevelopperFAQ link, to explain a bit this is where people should click if they want to find out what has to be done inside the project and what to do to help. Otherwise, that DevelopperFAQ may be renamed to something more relevant, like HowToHelp.

To sum up, I don't know Cheesy

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »

Maybe a real developer could be better than me in doing this...

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »

I think we should also put the more trivial tasks like website maintainance on. At the moment it doesn't really get done.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 01:59:31 AM »

I think we should also put the more trivial tasks like website maintainance on. At the moment it doesn't really get done.

It's not that trivial, please be more specific. You want to be able to moderate board messages or upload things to the download section or filter out spambots by hand or fix bugs in the themes or host the server or buy hardware into the server? Some of them can be easily done, while the others not.

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 03:57:37 PM »

Well it's more trivial than things like "getting the game done" Tongue Just meant that.
And I wasn't saying I'd like to do any of that, just said that should be done too. More specific things I thought of: the news, media and downloads. I expect that the server is hosted somewhere and that we don't need hardware for it, and spambots seem to be just handled by fromhell ^^
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: