Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Recap improvements needed in the Wiki site - Where?  (Read 260297 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« on: January 10, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »

It's a long time I've been thinking about creating a page in the Wiki to use it to recap the improvements needed in the Wiki site itself.

It would contain
1) - List of pages that should be created
2) - List of pages that exist, but should be expanded or updated (people should explain what is needed for each page, in short)
3) - List of images needed
4) - List of images that refer to very old releases and should be updated/replaced (maybe this may be a single thing with point 2), considering that images are shown in pages)
5) - Links to some service pages in the Wiki (see DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Special:SpecialPages]Special:SpecialPages)
Suggestions?

If talk is needed for something, we may use the "talk page" of that page, or a thread on the forum (maybe this thead).

I'm not sure of what should be the name of that page. A "TODO" page doesn't exist yet, but probably it should contain things to do for the game itself, not for the wiki site! (Maybe TODO could be a redirect to the "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Roadmap]Roadmap" page?)[/size]. There is already a page called DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/NOTTODO]NOTTODO and it talks about things that will not be done in the game.
How could we call that page? "WikiTODO", "WikiWork", "OpenArenaWiki"? Please give your ideas.
Page names can contain spaces. Wikia is case sensitive (except for the first letter; case sensitive is ignored when performing a search, but is important when writing a link), but it is possible to create redirects that allow to reach the same page using different names.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:13:58 PM »

WikiWork sounds nice to me ; though I fear most people won't organize themselves around that page, and I don't know which areas need to be improved or it turns quite obvious when you go on the wiki and see what is missing there. Feel free to make it if you have ideas of what to put to fill this page, you got a better overview of the wiki than any of us.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 07:36:52 AM »

Somebody else's opinions?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 03:02:31 PM »

The idea itself is realy great!
But i am unable to contribute...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 02:21:39 AM »

Why don't you will be able to contribute? Not enough time?

Anyway, don't worry. I will create the page and put in the first things... then anyone will be able to write more suggestions there. And, with some time, I hope that someone may create the pages needed.

But, before starting... what name do you suggest?

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 03:56:33 AM »

I think we should go for the clearest name (WikiToDo) rather than the catchiest one. But WikiWorks may be clear enough too.
Whynot flip a coin, we can always change and make the other name redirect.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 05:32:24 AM »

I'm voting for WikiWorks!

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 06:17:54 AM »

Why don't you will be able to contribute? Not enough time?

Indeed Sad
Sometimes you have to focus on things Wink

WikiWorks or WikiToDo sounds well to me!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 06:03:36 PM »

Ok, then.
I created "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/WikiWorks]WikiWorks" page, with "WikiWork", "WikiToDo" and "WikiTODO" as redirects to it.

I've put the first requests/suggestions there. Anyone is invited to use that page, check it, insert new suggestions, do the changes needed in the various pages...

Note: I'm tired, I could have put some errors in the page, please check. Goodnight! Zzzzzz.....

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 03:56:33 PM »

Okay, I see Udi started to use the page.
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=WikiWorks&diff=8103&oldid=8102
Let's begin talking.

Udi, with that, did you mean that in BaseOA, for the Q3 and TA "missing" textures and shaders, we are going to use those created by the staff of AfterShock? Is this? I suppose they are GPLv2, right? But how to use them, since Fromhell accepts SVN commits only from the author of the stuff? Will every AfterShock texture creator register on our forum and ask for the SVN commit by himself?

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 05:40:55 PM »

Udi, with that, did you mean that in BaseOA, for the Q3 and TA "missing" textures and shaders, we are going to use those created by the staff of AfterShock? Is this? I suppose they are GPLv2, right? But how to use them, since Fromhell accepts SVN commits only from the author of the stuff? Will every AfterShock texture creator register on our forum and ask for the SVN commit by himself?

Yes, the texture artist at AfterShock is **HD, see one of his posts. He's working on the textures of q3dm6, it's pretty close to 100%, but not yet finished, you can check it out with AfterShock rev. 78. I guess when it's 100% finished he will post his pack to the SVN commit topic. So far no close collaboration was needed because (I haven't produced any new textures and) I am working on space themed maps, he's working on gothic themed maps so the textures don't overlap, but I'll return contributing to OA soon, so we have to keep track of who does what.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 05:03:40 AM »

Hi, I just wanted to report I made a made a start with the (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Game_physics page.

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 07:17:47 AM »

It seems a nice work...  Smiley Thank you very much!  Wink
I have to go now... in the next days, I will add some DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Game_physics]incoming links for that page...

Ps: what about a section that talks about CPMA physics (as opposed to the Vanilla Q3 physics) that players can find in some mods?
And do the "new" physics types apply to old mods, or they continue to use only the original physics (or it depends from how much "custom" is the single mod?)?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »

I've added a small aclaration in the Config of Accurate physics.You might want to correct it, since my english just sucks. Also, you might want to link to the latest version of OAX.

The interval is calculated by dividing 1000 by the fps to be emulated, or the other way around:

1 1000/1 = 1000

But what happens when the value is 0? Tongue

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 11:52:55 AM »

I've added a small aclaration in the Config of Accurate physics.You might want to correct it, since my english just sucks. Also, you might want to link to the latest version of OAX.

[X] Check (it might take a while before the wiki displays the edits).

But what happens when the value is 0? Tongue

This will make the server explode and will crash all connected clients Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 05:51:57 PM »

Thank you all, guys! This is the way to make the wiki more complete!  Wink

I just did DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Game_physics&action=historysubmit&diff=8194&oldid=8177]some additions to the page, could you please check they are ok?

I also changed a "pmove_float" into a "pmove_msec", because that part was talking about "fixed" physics and thus I suppose "pmove_float" was there for a typo, right?

Uhm... if pmove_msec cannot se bet lower than alien this means that it is not possible to emulate more than 125 fps, right? Then, I suppose we could remove some lines from the example table...

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 11:05:44 AM »

Uhm... if pmove_msec cannot se bet lower than alien this means that it is not possible to emulate more than 125 fps, right? Then, I suppose we could remove some lines from the example table...

I think people won't understand how the calculation works if we remove the starting values from the table. I've made the usable values bold instead.

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 06:19:10 AM »

Why is pmove_msec limited actually?
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 09:23:07 AM »

Why is pmove_msec limited actually?
Possible to prevent low numbers that does not work anyway. Like com_maxfps 500 and com_maxfps 1000 makes you feel like ice-skating.... well like how I feel when ice-skating or I am drunk. 

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 05:02:02 PM »

Okay, I added some incoming links from other pages.

Thank you everyone. Smiley

The DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/WikiWorks]WikiWorks page contains other ideas for articles to be created. Take a look!

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 07:46:31 AM »

Hi guys. I've prepared a page about automatic downloading and http redirection, but I do not have uploaded it yet (do not search it on the wiki today) because first I would like to understand a bit more about "rate" and "sv_maxrate"...

Could you please take a look to this thread
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4066
and in particular to this post
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4066.msg37519#msg37519
?
Thank you!

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 12:58:39 PM »

Hi guys. I've prepared a page about automatic downloading and http redirection, but I do not have uploaded it yet (do not search it on the wiki today) because first I would like to understand a bit more about "rate" and "sv_maxrate"...

Could you please take a look to this thread
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4066
and in particular to this post
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4066.msg37519#msg37519
?
Thank you!
Up!

PS: It would be nice if you guys could register on Wikia, this way I could understand who makes the changes...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 04:07:28 PM »

Hi guys! I created
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Automatic_downloading

Since I was dubious about some extra variables, for the moment I have not mentioned them (see DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Talk:Manual/Automatic_downloading]here).

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 04:35:11 PM »

Hi guys.. a question.
An unregister user (maybe Neon Knight?) renamed "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat]ModCompat" page to "Mod Compatibilty"... and then I renamed it to "Mod compatibility" to use uppercase and lowercase correctly.
But that page has got many sub-pages:
examples: DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/Bazooka_Quake_3]ModCompat/Bazooka Quake 3; DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/Alternate_Fire]ModCompat/Alternate Fire.
What do you think we should do for them? Rename all of them, too? Or restore the original name ot the parent page?
I suppose that maintaing these page names short was not a bad thing...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 04:43:23 PM »

Leave them as ModCompat. As long as that isn't a real problem...

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: