Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Model Painter?  (Read 9110 times)
Someone_mad
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

Painted nails and long haired... I'm not a witch!

« on: June 27, 2011, 11:36:58 PM »

First, I read the forum rules, but there can be a mistake, then if this topic has nothing to do here, just delete it, I don't mind.

I wanted to ask if this is hard to create a model painter...
Do you see the army painter from W40k...? --> http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5029/templateunitcustomizatids9.jpg
Then, I ask you if the idea is stupid, agreed or just not that important..
Naturally in team games, we got forced colors...!
                 ±END¤CONNEXION±

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:40:01 AM »

I'm not a modeler, but I suppose in that case they thought about that feature since the beginning. I suppose Q3 models do not contain "primary color", "secondary color", "eye color" informations... Maybe Team Arena models are a bit more standardized?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:30:57 AM »

Some of OA's models are setup as a naked body in one mesh, and the clothes in another mesh (even having the hair in a third mesh).  If all the models were like this (perhaps in OA3 or a spin-off "lite" version) then being able to hue-shift then skin for clothing by an arbitrary angle (with some tweakage to account for the inherent brightness differences between e.g. green and blue) would be fairly easy to code up.

Could also provide selectable skin tone, hair color, or even have a "badge" or "sash" color if each model included a mesh for that purpose.  Imagine Sergei as an african american with blond hair wearing a purple jumpsuit --- hmmm perhaps not a good idea after all Cheesy
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 08:37:41 AM »

Well, I thought about layer textures and ingame HSV recoloring of them but that sounds working, too.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Someone_mad
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:22:06 AM »

YAY, that's will be awesome...!
Cause I'm a player that really play often with the thirdperson view (I toggled the command) and I'm a bit sad to see always the same colors on the models, you know, this is like a mapEditor in a RTS game, this is a plus...! This is one of the things that make the game more attractive. The difference is that a RTS without its mapEditor is dead...
Still, Open Arena  is my favorite FPS game, I left so many games, but OA never ^^
Imagine Sergei as an african american with blond hair wearing a purple jumpsuit --- hmmm perhaps not a good idea after all Cheesy
Haha, that was fart ^^
               ±END¤CONNEXION±

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 10:22:01 AM »

I had this idea earlier

The problem with the 'hue skin' idea in this thread is the texture switchage - I'm now trying to fight all that texture switching.

Angelyss. Kyonshi. What model brings the FPS down the most?

Kyonshi. She has more textures used.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 02:04:01 PM »

Cause I'm a player that really play often with the thirdperson view (I toggled the command)
How can you play effectively in third person, without the crosshair?

PS: I guess the lack of crosshair is more a feature than a bug, done by id Software to discourage the use of thirdperson mode: otherwise, people using thirdperson would get an unfair advantage against people playing as the game is thought (in first person), thanks to the wider lateral (and a bit behind) view that thirdperson implies.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 02:14:43 PM »

OK, then, forget HSV alpha layers.

On the other hand, it could give more variety with less work.... but it also has the brightskin possibility in it.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Someone_mad
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 09:24:22 PM »

How can you play effectively in third person, without the crosshair?

Yeah, without the crosshair...!
I dunno, I just like it, I absolutly don't care about winning, my way is to have fun, I enjoy seeing my sarge running all over the map ^^
And there's not a lot of people that do it, I though that shame cause, when you it a target with a railgun in thirdperson, you are really happy, and it happen more than you can expect...!
The only problem is that some models are to big (like gargoyle, grunt, Astartes...) and you can't see in front of you...

I had this idea earlier

The problem with the 'hue skin' idea in this thread is the texture switchage - I'm now trying to fight all that texture switching.

Angelyss. Kyonshi. What model brings the FPS down the most?

Kyonshi. She has more textures used.

Ouch sorry, I have seen this topic already, but I didn't understand it all... erf ^^
                             ±END¤CONNEXION±

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: