Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Tribute Mappack: The topic  (Read 52810 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 05:08:50 AM »

also keep in mind of the quake scale difference - it's roughly 0.8 smaller. g_enableQ in the latest VMs should help debug and realize proportions (but don't rely on it)
Excuse me, could you please explain more about this?
I know you don't like explaining things in detail, but please, a few words?

Do you mean that Quake1 players and hence maps sizes (such as doors and steps) were a bit smaller than Q3 players and hence map sizes? And that q_enableQ makes your character a bit smaller (similar to Q1), to better fit the maps converted from Q1? I tried it, and it seems to me its effect is to "shrink" my character a little. Or is it something else?

Also, I see from autocomplete that they also exist g_enableDust, g_enableBreath and g_enableFS... what are those for?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 05:31:07 AM »

Don't worry. I have prepared a separate repo so we don't have to rely on SVN.

Q3 tribute mappack will only host Quake tributes.

About that part of NOTTODO, well, consider the chance that other commercial tributes to go into another pack. The tribute hosted in the SVN only contains Quake tributes, anyway, and I'm basing this tribute on that pack.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 05:56:16 AM »

Do you think Fromhell is planning two separate tribute packs ("Quake series" and "others"), then? Everything is okay for me, as long as the maps will be available somewhere.

And what about maps like am_galmevish, which you are reworking for OA3? While being a relatively simple layout, IIRC you said its s based upon like three maps from different games (I don't know the originals) mixed together, right? Then, should it be considered a "tribute", too?  Undecided

Another thing: I don't understand the reason why DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Quake_Tribute_Mappack&diff=17583&oldid=14983]here you wrote "As OA3 isn't released yet, we won't support Possession.". Isn't the Tribute Mappack an add-on pack thought to be complementar to OA3, and thus supposed to be released more or less at the same time? Then I don't see the reason to do not support Possession in the mappack.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:59:04 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 02:24:23 PM »

Not sure if I should drop it here to  Undecided

My Q3dm17 redux for OA:

https://app.box.com/s/iwd6k9p2za1b5xz1wxgqbv7xg2r411li
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 08:24:07 PM »

When I finish setting things up, I'll add it to the repo. Thank you!

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2017, 01:15:13 AM »

Not sure if I should drop it here to  Undecided

My Q3dm17 redux for OA:

https://app.box.com/s/iwd6k9p2za1b5xz1wxgqbv7xg2r411li

That's a "beta test" version (as you wrote under the floor of the map itself)... I would suggest it to post the download link in this post only once it's "finished".

In the meanwhile, I suppose a link to the specific map thread would be better:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=5347.0
(Like to say: "Hey, I'm working on a map for the mappack! Keep an eye on it!")

(If one wishes, one may always link the apposite thread instead of direct download link in this one, even when it's "finished". Maybe that's even better... as rarely maps are really "finished"  Grin)

Wink
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:24:33 AM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2017, 09:15:05 PM »

I feel guilty for making requests, but do you think idmap01 could be adapted to OA form?  (not as a direct import but a mapping from its layout)

It's kind of an important map in id history as well.......... it's id's first deathmatch map, way before Willits claimed to have invented them.

Heretic also had a variation on this same map then too (E4M1 in the original 1994 release)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 09:17:20 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 12:59:17 AM »

I feel guilty for making requests, but do you think idmap01 could be adapted to OA form?  (not as a direct import but a mapping from its layout)
Why guilty? I don't see anything bad in asking for making a map.

By the way, some more infos about that map here: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Id_Map01

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 06:47:36 AM »

idmap1 ?  Its from Doom2 sounds nice. Unforunately I cant remember to this map and to fire up the old doom2 engine...  Lips Sealed

However:
My opinion to some of the classic maps: the game play of some map parts maybe do not fit perfectly to the q3 engine movement. Example: elivators can screw up the game flow and shall be replaced by jumppads or teleporter. I belief that can be done without deytroy the main map layout and will enhance the map to play on OA.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 07:19:42 AM »

"Tribute maps" do not necessarily have to strictly follow the original.
An example is oa_ctf4ish - Evolution by adriano: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=5275.0
If you try it, especially one of the latest betas, you can see many differences from the original q3ctf4. It's still a tribute to q3ctf4, but it differs from the original much more than DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Maps/oa_ctf4ish]oa_ctf4ish you can find in OA 0.8.x. Considering remakes will not be in "stock" OA3, which one of the two will be in the tribute mappack? I don't know. Which one is "better"? I have no idea (note: "better" also depends from personal taste)...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 11:11:52 AM »

Exactly. As much of a tribute this mappack is, it should be adapted to OA gameplay.
Id/Bethesda didn't took the "straight remake" route when they brought q3dm6 to Quake Champions as Blood Covenant for a reason. Neither did Epic when they remaked their classic maps for the newer Unreal games. And I don't think we shall be an exception to that rule. Smiley

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2017, 04:03:24 AM »

It's kind of an important map in id history as well.......... it's id's first deathmatch map, way before Willits claimed to have invented them.

Heretic also had a variation on this same map then too (E4M1 in the original 1994 release)

I'm on it !

....stay tuned....  Grin

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2017, 08:40:32 PM »

maybe the discord could be used for a little more realtime contact?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2017, 11:55:44 PM »

...ehm.....what ? 

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2017, 04:16:11 AM »

...ehm.....what ?  

Discord is a chat system, available as web, desktop or mobile app. There is an OpenArena Discord server: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=5287.0
It can be used to discuss about various aspects of OpenArena in realtime... it's good, although personally I prefer the forum for development...

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »

Hi everyone.

In the attachment you can find the BSP and AAS (for play with BOTs) of the first playable version of the map.

Some Bugs:

1) No title and Music.
2) Some lights missing.
3) Textures not perfect, i think...
4) No ammoboxes.
5) Weapons overpowered are near eachother (BFG and Rocketleuncher).
6) Some other things...

This is not the original version, it's remade from scratch, some brushes are adapted for playablitity.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2017, 02:36:03 PM »

I'll try it in the next days.

What about creating an apposite thread about the map?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2017, 12:40:46 AM »

Hi Akom, I just did some testing with the map. Nice! By the way, please next time package it in pk3 format, thank you!

I don't really know the original map and I haven't been able to find a youtube video about it... However I can see the "Doom-ish" feeling. Smiley

Tried it in FFA mode with various opponents gave a really fast, funny and a bit cahotic deathmatch. Trying it with with only one opponent showed an overuse of the BFG.

I read under the screenshots in this page that in the original map rocket launcher and BFG were "procted" by "damaging floor" (term with which they look like to refer to "slime")... maybe in the original map there was slime instead of water, and getting out from it wasn't so easy?

Other things I noticed:
- There are a few places that you cannot actually reach without trickjumping or already spawning there.
- I read that in the original, the plasmagun was on a trigger-activated elevator you have to activate in order to get the weapon (now in your map, you have to jump to reach it). Do you plan to use a button operated "door" brush to simulate the elevator maybe, or do you think that would slow down gameplay too much or be a problem for bots?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2017, 01:26:50 PM »

In the original map you can find also a teleporter, but the source of it it's in the water (or damaging water)...

Here you can see the map from the export for Heretic: https://youtu.be/QdsgesbH_nM

The map it's named E6M3.

It seems that the rocket launcher is not a rocket launcher but the enviro suit.... punched

Before edit the map again i want to know Fromhell's thoughts about.

By the way i think that the slime can be a good solution.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2017, 12:30:11 AM »

It seems that the rocket launcher is not a rocket launcher but the enviro suit.... punched
What? That looks like a rocket launcher to me...

PS: Maybe the paths to rocket launcher and BFG seem be a bit narrower in that map than in yours...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:32:23 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2017, 12:49:20 PM »

What? That looks like a rocket launcher to me...

PS: Maybe the paths to rocket launcher and BFG seem be a bit narrower in that map than in yours...

I mean in the Heretic video. In the Doom original map it's a rocket launcher.

Smiley

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2017, 05:22:07 PM »

Good work Akom....

... but the original map design do not fit to a fast tournament shooter in my opinion. Undecided Maybe its because Doom / Doom2 and Heretic was more designed for a single mode action gameplay.
There is to less gameplay flow at that design ... Sorry for saying.  punched

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:46:48 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2017, 05:23:45 AM »

Good work Akom....

... but the original map design do not fit to a fast tournament shooter in my opinion. Undecided Maybe its because Doom / Doom2 and Heretic was more designed for a single mode action gameplay.
There is to less gameplay flow at that design ... Sorry for saying.  punched

I agree, this map is not for deathmatch, but is playable adding some brush work...
...don't know what Fromhell want to do...

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2017, 06:33:11 AM »

... but the original map design do not fit to a fast tournament shooter in my opinion.
I agree, this map is not for deathmatch, but is playable adding some brush work...
Hey, it is one of the very first "deathmatch only" maps ever created after all, what do you demand? It doesn't seem so bad to me.
I look forward for a more "complete" version of Akom's version, as there are some empty or unreachable areas at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:42:50 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2017, 08:51:43 AM »

Besides, the original map comes from games which originated in an era where Z-axis fighting wasn't even a plausible concept.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: