Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  Print  
Author Topic: Android port  (Read 305783 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #250 on: July 09, 2016, 07:42:49 AM »

I went to a McDonalds, and tried accessing their wifi. Unfortunately, it has got a captive portal which requires registering, and I did not have time and will to register.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #251 on: July 09, 2016, 08:39:28 AM »

Haha, yeah, I should have guessed public WiFi will be restricted all the way down.

On WiFi at our subway, they show you an ad on their captive portal, but no registration necessary.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #252 on: July 10, 2016, 08:03:13 AM »

I just sent you a mail with was I have been able to capture with those tools.

PS: I added a second mail with some xml files from the router.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 08:21:54 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #253 on: July 11, 2016, 02:18:19 AM »

A very little bug found: when you go to graphic settings menu, it says you are in lightmap mode even if you are in vertex mode.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #254 on: August 28, 2016, 05:40:02 AM »

Hello, after vacation I have wifi access again. I'm not still 100% operative (e.g. I will read maps-related threads, that I don't read since a few weeks, at the end of this week), however I may do some uPnP test for the Android port, if you can publish the update the the UPnP client debugger.

Considering many people will have to download 400 mb again, it would be good to include at least one other fix in the same release. What was in hold?
- Ability to disable double tap to jump?
- Ability to set previous tap to shoot behavior, or making it clearer if have the fire button pressed or not?
- Some way (I don't know how) to "center view" in gyroscope mode (after you changed your real life standing position)?
- The very small interface bug mentioned in the post above this one?
- Other I don't recall now?

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #255 on: August 31, 2016, 06:45:28 AM »

Hi Gig. I still did not start working on the update, but I plan to include all features you mentioned, especially fixing the tap to shoot, plus camera control via joystick, which hopefully will be intuitive enough (or you disable it in options).

Maybe I'll get onto it in a week or two.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #256 on: September 01, 2016, 12:29:51 AM »

Okay.  Smiley

mindbeat
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #257 on: November 14, 2017, 03:57:56 AM »

Hello!
I really love the Open Arena port to Android, And me and my brothers have made it to a Christmas tradition to play it with each other Smiley
Long story short,

I Found out that there is a VR mode inside, I tried it out, but it seems that I cant remove the touchscreen buttons, I tried to disable HUD trough console command, But the touchscreen icons are still there.

Thanks for any hint,

Best regards,
Dennis
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #258 on: November 14, 2017, 04:03:30 AM »

IIRC, accessing to the SDL configuration menu at startup, there are some options to tweak the Android interface. One allows to place the buttons where you wish (but I don't suggest to try it, because IIRC you can't restore just them to the default layout, but you would need to reset all the SDL settings). Another one allows to set the transparency of the onscreen buttons. But I'm not sure, it's some time I don't try messing with those settings...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:50:17 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #259 on: November 14, 2017, 04:46:01 AM »

Connect the gamepad and flick the analog joystick, this will hide touchscreen controls.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #260 on: January 18, 2018, 05:27:31 PM »

Pelya, what about that update which should have fixed the "continous fire stops working" bug, added the ability to log UPnP client (for debugging nat) and IIRC an option to disable the "tap virtual joystick to jump" feature?

I was playing online against anorher human player, but the "stops firing" bug was REALLY annoying... I'm using firstperson with "tap to shoot" mode.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #261 on: January 24, 2018, 11:13:12 AM »

Sorry, I keep postponing the update. Maybe I'll do it in two weeks or so.
To be honest, I kind of expected Android version to silently die.
There are currently 3,193 active installs, according to Google Play console, I remember when this number was around 4000 several years ago.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #262 on: January 24, 2018, 03:33:13 PM »

It's hard to have a game growing without updates (this is in general, as example it may also apply to OA as a whole)... about the android version I find that "stop firing" bug quite annoying, I think playing would be more pleasant without it.
Well, my phone is quite old and so it will never have an excellent framerate (the android sdl tech limit of not being able to stretch a lower resolution is still a problem for people like me with older hardware), however having the game always firing when I wish would make it more suitable for me. And by extension, more pleasant also for others.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:18:56 PM by Gig » Logged

ruthan
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #263 on: June 28, 2018, 12:42:47 PM »

Hello,
i have tried Android port on multiple Android x86 machines and versions of Android x86 with Intel HD graphics, game always crashes in moment when select the Arena a start the game.. Android Quake3 port - QIII4A its running fine.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #264 on: March 12, 2019, 03:45:41 AM »

Hi Pelya! It's some months I wanted to tell you about some things.

I tested the game on a device which does not have the physical (touch) "back" and "menu" buttons (most phones nowadays don't have them).
What's the name of the Android feature which requires you to swipe from the edge in order to make the virtual buttons (back/home/recent apps) appear, semi-transparent? "Immersive mode" maybe? I don't find myself comfortable with those phones in general, but that's how most are nowadays...

About their usage with OpenArena, these phones do make it a bit annoying accessing the ESC menu (back) (but that's not a real problem), and most importantly they don't have a "menu" button, so you end up not having an "use item" button. So, how to use portable medkit/personal teleporter/kamikaze/invulnerability?
The "remap on-screen controls" (in the initial "change device configuration") doesn't seem to foresee a "Button 7 - Use item" a the moment. Could you add it? Or do you think that it may be possible to tell Android to add "menu" button to the "navigation buttons bar", so to at least have some way to "use item" (although in that case that may take a bit more time than what would be optimal for item usage)?

I see that in the startup "change device configuration" you can access "video settings" menu and uncheck the "hide system navigation buttons" option, which may seem handy as those buttons are always shown that way (so you have "back" (ESC menu) easy to reach), but then you risk to hit the "home" and "recent apps" buttons by error, especially because they hide (note: the bar isn't transparent in this case) the "zoom" and "jump" buttons, which are still clickable however.

PS: I'm still waiting for a version with "UPnP debug option", to find out the reason why UPnP doesn't work with my router.

PPS: In the "remap on-screen controls", I see there is "Button 4 - Quick rotate"... but I don't see a such button while in-game. Am I missing something?

PPPS: If I enter /~ to pull down the standard console in order to see some more of its history (and its colors), I can't use it to enter commands, as it looks like it doesn't recognize the "enter" at the end of the command. Fortunately, it recognizes another /~ and closes the console, so I can continue to use it from your simplified version of it...

PPPPS: This is not for Pelya, this is for anyone wanting to disable the "double tap joystick to jump" feature:
To disable joystick jump, open chat box during the game (top-left button), and enter this:
Code:
/set j_androidJoystickJumpTime 0
I'll add this to settings menu in the next update. If there ever will be an update, because I'm lazy.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 04:22:53 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #265 on: March 29, 2019, 02:27:28 PM »

Tap the medkit/teleporter/kamikaze icon on the top-right corner of the screen to use it.
Sorry about UPnP version, I forgot about it. I remember there was an app to configure your router uPNP function using your phone, I'll check if it works on my home router.
Quick rotate button is only enabled if you are using 'floating crosshair' aiming, it's a button above joystick that will rotate camera to the direction where you were running, so you don't need to touch screen border with your finger and wait until camera fully rotates. I am planning to enable this button for other aiming modes too, because it's more convenient than swiping the screen.
Yeah, the console and Android text input do not play very well together, I don't think I'll ever fix this.

I have also noticed that zoom button is hopelessly broken on my new 64-bit phone. I don't know when I'll gather enough willpower to sit and fix all these bugs.

BTW OpenArena got ported to Vulkan API, I don't know if it will be of any use for my Android version though: https://github.com/suijingfeng/vkOpenArena
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 02:37:27 PM by pelya » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #266 on: March 30, 2019, 03:16:15 PM »

Tap the medkit/teleporter/kamikaze icon on the top-right corner of the screen to use it.
Thank you! I didn't think about it, but totally makes sense. In case it isn't already mentioned there, mention it in app description (I haven't checked) when you will have the chance.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2019, 06:07:16 AM »

This UPnP app works on my phone and with my router (and has no ads), so if built-in OpenArena upnp mapper does not work, you can try to use this app to map port 27960, you'll also know if your router has upnp enabled.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #268 on: May 09, 2019, 02:35:38 PM »

Just for the record, today I hard reset-ed my phone... and while Play Store told that OpenArena was large so it would have only downloaded it under wifi (and I was under wifi), after downloading it looked like only 16 MB, and at first startup it looked like it downloaded stuff with its download engine...
... but I was busy doing other things, I didn't actually check downloading times of the two phases...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #269 on: January 22, 2021, 02:54:07 PM »

Pelya, are you still around?
Being short of space in an Huawei P8 Lite 2017 (Android 8), I realized that OpenArena data pk3 files were stored in the internal storage, despite the OpenArena "Change device configuration" menu saying the SD Card was selected.
I tried clearing the App's data from Android settings, and at startup, OpenArena says "No need to download" and immediately quits. I guess I'll uninstall and reinstall... anyway, any idea why the data were in internal memory despite your menu saying the opposite?

Note: that phone has got an "archive settings -> default location: internal storage" setting. Not completely sure about what changing it to "sd card" would actually imply: it asks for a confirmation saying "Phone is crypted. Be sure the new archive positision is safe (secure?) before switching positions"... IDK...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 02:57:26 PM by Gig » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  Print  

Jump to: