Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1124369 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #175 on: January 14, 2013, 04:24:13 AM »

For tester i suggest Gig, as more knower of the GPLv2 stuff and he is very precise.
Well, I'm not extremely good with GPLv2 terms.... I try to follw what I understod. The only one file from me you can find in OA 0.8.8 is a demo (where a "source" format does not exist. And that used OA-only suff.).

About testing, that you... but at the moment I have very little time. And anyway, I can help finding bugs in the maps and maybe suggesting some structural changes... but best item placement for keeping the map balanced should be asked to someone else (I'm not good with that).

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2013, 11:22:23 AM »

For tester i suggest Gig, as more knower of the GPLv2 stuff and he is very precise.
Well, I'm not extremely good with GPLv2 terms.... I try to follw what I understod. The only one file from me you can find in OA 0.8.8 is a demo (where a "source" format does not exist. And that used OA-only suff.).

About testing, that you... but at the moment I have very little time. And anyway, I can help finding bugs in the maps and maybe suggesting some structural changes... but best item placement for keeping the map balanced should be asked to someone else (I'm not good with that).

Ah, sorry..... i know, time never is too much Tongue

P.S.: I have in mind to build a space map called "Gig's Nightmare" inspired to Xan level in Unreal Tournament, with moving stars and low gravity. I hope you like it !! Cheesy Tongue

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #177 on: January 14, 2013, 12:27:07 PM »

Akom, if you wanna make a map for me, you could take that big map I tried to do some time ago (do you remember TEST1?) as an inspiration, and try to recreate something similar to it, but using a "clearer" design technique than mine.

In fact, it was my first real Q3 map (and I planned to later do an OA version). Knowing it may have been probably the only one, I put almost everything it went into my mind into it. I was using the map to learn using the editor and to do a large, varied map. So, mapping techniques were not good.
When I was quite happy with the work, I encountered the out of level items error in console while in-game (you can play, but you see this in console, and that's not nice).
I can guess I ended up having too many of something (brushes? areas? items?).
And I still had to add almost all spawnpoints and some lights.
I really have no time to try to redo it from scratch. So, sadly, I abandoned the work.

If someone else is interested, I may release that map under GPLv2, too. Maybe someone of you may want to re-use some of the ideas I put into it. I think some of those ideas are nice... but I placed too many ideas with one map, and I had very poor mapping skills! Some ideas may be re-used in some map redone from scratch.
You can take a look to the editor in the attched screenshot. I'm sorry I do not have the time to post proper in-game screenshots right now.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:32:58 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #178 on: January 14, 2013, 12:44:05 PM »

What about an online meeting to test the beta maps with all participants of this thread?
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »

@Gig: Sadly i have to tell you that your old map is to redo from scratch. Sorry....
By the way, i'm doing the Space-Map i tell you above. It's ok for you if i named it "Gig's Nightmare" ? Remember your matches with Xan ? Tongue Cheesy

@Peter Silie: Time is our big problem...... i'm off....

@Adriano: Sorry, i forgot to answer you. Don't worry, i will fix the texture bug for the final release.

Wink

G One
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2013, 01:15:22 PM »

Akom, if you wanna make a map for me, you could take that big map I tried to do some time ago (do you remember TEST1?) as an inspiration, and try to recreate something similar to it, but using a "clearer" design technique than mine.

In fact, it was my first real Q3 map (and I planned to later do an OA version). Knowing it may have been probably the only one, I put almost everything it went into my mind into it. I was using the map to learn using the editor and to do a large, varied map. So, mapping techniques were not good.
When I was quite happy with the work, I encountered the out of level items error in console while in-game (you can play, but you see this in console, and that's not nice).
I can guess I ended up having too many of something (brushes? areas? items?).
And I still had to add almost all spawnpoints and some lights.
I really have no time to try to redo it from scratch. So, sadly, I abandoned the work.

If someone else is interested, I may release that map under GPLv2, too. Maybe someone of you may want to re-use some of the ideas I put into it. I think some of those ideas are nice... but I placed too many ideas with one map, and I had very poor mapping skills! Some ideas may be re-used in some map redone from scratch.
You can take a look to the editor in the attched screenshot. I'm sorry I do not have the time to post proper in-game screenshots right now.

Wow, i love big maps!
Nobody here seems to like to play with big maps.
My favourites maps are: oa_bases3, oa_bases7, oa_ctf4ish, hydronex, oa_spirit3 and dm4ish, is someone working on something similar?

A wiki about free (as in free speech) games: https://libregamewiki.org/
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »

There are 2 new version of oa_ctf4ish (sos_ctf and god_ctf - just search forum).
there should also be an even bigger version of bases7, just search for god_athmosfear.

ps: congrats Gig! 2000 posts!!! Grin
G One
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »

There are 2 new version of oa_ctf4ish (sos_ctf and god_ctf - just search forum).
there should also be an even bigger version of bases7, just search for god_athmosfear.

ps: congrats Gig! 2000 posts!!! Grin

Wow, great, i hope released under GPL.
Thanks!

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #183 on: January 15, 2013, 03:20:16 PM »

Meanwhile, my third map is groving up !  Grin Grin

The skybox is temporary, i'll made one myself with my shader/effect to avoid GPL infringement.  Tongue

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:18:44 PM by Akom74 » Logged

G One
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #184 on: January 15, 2013, 03:30:04 PM »

The skybox is temporary, i'll made one myself with my shader/effect to avoid GPL infringement.  Tongue

Wink

Seems impressive.
I hope to test it soon.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:32:40 PM by G One » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #185 on: January 15, 2013, 03:48:27 PM »

Wink

Seems impressive.
I hope to test it soon.

It's just a medium map i'll give you (all) a version as soon as possible..... Tongue

@G One: Have you tried my other two maps for this mappack ? It's all right ? Tell me. You will find the link in the first post.

Wink

G One
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #186 on: January 15, 2013, 04:07:31 PM »

I like Danger Arena, seems a good quality map, but i'm not a big fan of Free For All mode.
I play always online with and i love CTF mode!

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2013, 07:51:01 AM »

These two days I was offline.

So far, I've been working on a lot of stuff. I've done a bit of work in Bioxide (my CTF map), started a third map (Underground Temple) and also worked on Voltage (my other FFA map). Screenshots soon.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2013, 10:28:16 AM »

For convenience's sake, I have uploaded the betas from the maps to my FTP space. Also uploaded there the two GPL'd pack of textures. Thanks to onykage for the FTP space.
Links in the first post are updated.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2013, 10:44:21 AM »

DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OpenArena_Community_Mappack]WIKI!

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2013, 10:52:26 AM »

Grin Grin Good Job !  Grin Grin

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2013, 12:31:10 PM »

Well done!
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #192 on: January 19, 2013, 12:40:44 PM »

Have you tried my other two maps for this mappack ? It's all right ? Tell me.
I've played briefly your two maps on my cellphone.
Akomdm1: I really like the upper part of the map - it's open and does not have narrow corridors and sharp corners, plays really well on mobile. Also it's relatively large. However the lower part of the map makes you disoriented - you jump there and you don't know where to run to make it to the upper part, walls are all the same, and corridors are all the same, however the fog effect is cool.
Akomdm2: God bless you for making those safety borders around map edges, I wish all maps space had them, and they are especially welcome for clumsy touchscreen controls. The part that I did not like is the texture choice - the map is too dark, and bots blend with the walls. Illuminate it more please, and make that hole in the center of the map bigger, and maybe different color, it takes few tries to fall there.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2013, 01:33:36 PM »

@pelya: Thanks for your comments Cheesy . I will take care of the maps before of the release date.

Update !!

Here is the Download Link:
Code:
https://www.box.com/s/xdwrvd6un5s5cspegute

I know there is a couple of issues, but i want to know from you (all) if it's all ok with GPL's stuff or something else.  Tongue Grin

...can you find the two easter eggs in this map ? It's easy....

Enjoy !
 Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:19:26 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2013, 05:00:35 PM »

Uploaded for testing purposes to the oacmp temp folder. Also updated the wiki article and the first post.
Hopefully, tomorrow at night I'll upload a playable version of one of my maps.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #195 on: January 19, 2013, 08:53:12 PM »

Tried akomdm3 map, and it's awesome on mobile, much better to play than most of other OA free-for-all maps. It's open and medium-sized, but gives impression of a big map. Also I like color gamma, bots were adequately illuminated and easy to shoot. I think it's the best one of your maps.
However there are some issues:
1. The ultimate camping spot near the rocket launcher:

This part of the map is accessible with only a jump pad, and has only one weapon - that rocket launcher. Grab it, and blow up everyone trying to jump there (easy target in a narrow corridor), also blow up everyone who respawns near you  - their chainguns are no match for a rocket, and they cannot get any other weapon without jumping down.
This can be fixed by fixing this part:

I could not jump to that platform, even with the help of the jump pad below. Please make this platform reachable.

2. When you jump or respawn here, there are absolutely no weapons around, you need to run through the whole level to grab lightning gun or railgun (you'll be lucky if you'll make it this far), and you cannot grab the rocket, because there will be someone camping there, see issue #1.

This can be fixed by adding some weak weapon, like shotgun, to that niche where I'm shooting. Or maybe grenade launcher (but as we know, ancient Egyptians considered shotguns and grenade launchers a lowly weapons, they've used lightning guns and railguns, and called them Scythe of Horus and Eye of Ra  Grin )

3. This teleport here

will bring me here

seems rather pointless to me - I can just jump there. Actually, it will bring you to the other spawn point with armor, but since level is symmetrical, it doesn't really matter.
I would rather make them bring me here, to the other part of level:

but you then will need to replace the teleporter and medkit with some less powerful upgrades. Also, the teleporter isn't much useful there, because the level is not very big.

And, your easter eggs:

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #196 on: January 20, 2013, 06:07:49 AM »

I love that 3.DM-map of Akom, too. Really nice. I can imagine it on AS Clanarena-server lol.

Ok now the things that maybe could be changed (aka "the bad things" punched) or are just things to bring new ideas:
◘ I don't know why I can't see this light (I hope it is just my problem):
http://s14.directupload.net/file/d/3141/3kaubuet_jpg.htm

◘ There are just 4 places to pick-up a weapon: I would add at least a plasma (btw. 2 plasma, one on each side)here for example:
http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/3141/sz2fvilz_jpg.htm
And maybe another weapon down in the map somewehere.

◘ Replace teleporter with invisibility

◘ There are 2 long curves in a row, so it is a long way when you want to stay up. I would add/change there something from this structure. E.g. the first thing that came in my mind:
A hole in that big block (at curve) that brings you also in the middle of the map (at quad).
http://s14.directupload.net/file/d/3141/izkjmk6i_jpg.htm
http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/3141/o6z5iu2j_jpg.htm

Just to bring you some ideas to make the map even better. =)

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #197 on: January 20, 2013, 09:39:06 AM »

@pelya: I have follow your suggestions and some stuff seems really better Cheesy
Now it's a massacre !!!  Grin Grin

@Adriano: Thanks you too for your comments, i have modified the map with your suggestions too, now BOTs navigate the map better than before.

......soon will be here the download link for the new version.....

Wink

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #198 on: January 20, 2013, 10:14:52 AM »

New Version ! Enjoy it !  Grin
Code:
https://www.box.com/s/xdwrvd6un5s5cspegute

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:22:15 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #199 on: January 20, 2013, 12:56:21 PM »

Updated!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: