Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1130789 times)
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #650 on: April 16, 2013, 03:29:35 AM »

About special brushes... opening oa_akomdm4 in the editor, I see two "do not enter" brushses on the doors that allow to reach the environment suit... is it due to the fact bots falled down too easily? But so, they do never take the item?
It's better to put these brushes alongside rails, so bots would not try to fall down.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #651 on: April 16, 2013, 04:18:34 AM »

About special brushes... opening oa_akomdm4 in the editor, I see two "do not enter" brushses on the doors that allow to reach the environment suit... is it due to the fact bots falled down too easily? But so, they do never take the item?
It's better to put these brushes alongside rails, so bots would not try to fall down.
This sounds a good idea.  Smiley Akom, I think you should try this!

Another thing: wanting to take a look to how Jan's "animated rings" were done, I noticed they are common/white_glowing_500 (physically, in scripts/oajgdm.shader).... and this made me ask if it is good to place OACMP textures or shaders into "existing" folders (like "common" and "gothic"), or it is better to use our own folders ("akom74", "gig", etc.) ?

PS: In z_oacmp_beta2.pk3 I see some shaders that probably are not used anymore (e.g. GiG's_nightmare.shader). Some cleanup possible, maybe?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:28:12 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #652 on: April 16, 2013, 08:45:34 AM »

About special brushes... opening oa_akomdm4 in the editor, I see two "do not enter" brushses on the doors that allow to reach the environment suit... is it due to the fact bots fell down too easily? But so, they do never take the item?

They take the powersuit, but not all BOTs.
Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #653 on: April 16, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »

This sounds a good idea.  Smiley Akom, I think you should try this!

Another thing: wanting to take a look to how Jan's "animated rings" were done, I noticed they are common/white_glowing_500 (physically, in scripts/oajgdm.shader).... and this made me ask if it is good to place OACMP textures or shaders into "existing" folders (like "common" and "gothic"), or it is better to use our own folders ("akom74", "gig", etc.) ?

PS: In z_oacmp_beta2.pk3 I see some shaders that probably are not used anymore (e.g. GiG's_nightmare.shader). Some cleanup possible, maybe?

I'm doing it, the folder named "Akom74" is no more available, all my textures are in folders named Akom_lights, akom_sky etc.
So i have changed all shaders path and recompiled every map after retexturing them..... Rest In PEACE!....

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #654 on: April 16, 2013, 10:03:58 AM »

I'm sorry I haven't been able to release a new version of the map today. I hope for Thursday. I have some issues to fix.

First of them:
I tried to apply "botclip" brushes to the top of the pillars of the house of pillars, hoping that maybe bots may like them more if they feel them as square instead of rounded. But the "botclip" brush appears in-game, instead of being invisible! WHAT?? WHY?? (Screenshot -sorry, it's dark- is from Q3A. In OA, it appears like a "missing texture"). Can you help me?

PS: Akom, did you see my PMs?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:06:54 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #655 on: April 16, 2013, 10:09:02 AM »

I'm sorry I haven't been able to release a new version of the map today. I hope for Thursday. I have some issues to fix.

First of them:
I tried to apply "botclip" brushes to the top of the pillars of the house of pillars, hoping that maybe bots may like them more if they feel them as square instead of rounded. But the "botclip" brush appears in-game, instead of being invisible! WHAT?? WHY?? (Screenshot -sorry, it's dark- is from Q3A. In OA, it appears like a "missing texture"). Can you help me?

PS: Akom, did you see my PM?

This is a VERY strange thing, what the hell have you do with the pk3 ?? Tongue Tongue Cheesy Cheesy
Seriously, check if you have deleted or changed something.

By the way, i've see your PM and answer to it.  Grin

Wink

P.S.: Just right now, i have send to Neon_Knight the complete mappack with my maps updated with new versions of map textures and scripts.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #656 on: April 16, 2013, 10:14:06 AM »

Received! =)
I'll update the Wiki article soon...

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #657 on: April 17, 2013, 06:09:49 AM »

First of them:

PS: Akom, did you see my PMs?

It appears while compiling your botclip definitions are not what you expect them to be, they should be in a shader file which tells the compiler not to create an surface to be drawn.

Are you using the shaders and textures from oa or q3? What radiant are you using?

Do the you use seperate textures/shaders for your Radiant and openarena, or did you configure Radiant to use the textures in your openarea folder?

If you are copying stuff from other maps: they might use q3 definitions.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #658 on: April 17, 2013, 07:51:32 AM »

I workarounded the problem. I changed botclip with clip (player clip), that works as expected. I made them a little smaller than in the screenshot, to make less "flying character" effect.

But bots still did not jump from a pillar to the other, so at the end I added connection bars (visible) between pillars, and finally bots understand that they can reach that yellow armor without rocket jumping.

Ps: Jan, did you do more tests with bot navigation in your ctf map? I don't remember if there is a more recent version of it than the one that is in oacmp beta2 package.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:33:22 AM by Gig » Logged

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #659 on: April 17, 2013, 01:02:52 PM »

Ps: Jan, did you do more tests with bot navigation in your ctf map? I don't remember if there is a more recent version of it than the one that is in oacmp beta2 package.

I haven't yet been able to do anything..Sad, so the beta2 is the most recent.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #660 on: April 18, 2013, 05:00:16 AM »

Hi guys, a question!

I'm trying to use a shader (script based upon Akom's animated stars) to give some animation effect above the bounce pad (Pelya suggested to start from Jan's effect to make jump pads more visible, but I wanted to try starting from Akom's effect first).

If the shader (at the moment, some colored stripes moving on a transparent background) is applied to all sides of the brush, it becomes too easy to see it's placed around a 3D shape instead of being an incorporeal ray of light. So, I wanna try appling the shader only to one face of the brush, and make all other faces completely invisible. What should I place on such faces, to be sure they will give no problem to players and bots? Common/Caulk? Common/Cushion? Common/Invisible? Common/Trigger? Common/Nodraw? Something else? UPDATE: SEE BELOW.
Or is it somehow possible to create a 2D object?

P.S.: Is it normal that the brush is actually NON-SOLID only if I place the shader in shaderlist.txt? If I don't do it, while in game I can't pass through it, although the animation works.

P.P.S.: @Jan, in your ctf map, maybe the "lateral" bounce pads, near to the rocket launchers, push the player to a point there the platform is too thin? Maybe the push could bring you to a meter or two ahead, where the platform is a little larger?

UPDATE: I think I found it. It's Common/Nodraw, right?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:35:08 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #661 on: April 18, 2013, 10:25:39 AM »

I think we need a topic named "Editing tips and questions".

Wink

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #662 on: April 18, 2013, 10:38:14 AM »

Yes it is. Notice that it makes a difference if you first make the brush all nodraw and then place the shader or if you first create the brush as a shader and then apply nodraw to the other sides (most notable with water).

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #663 on: April 18, 2013, 11:08:12 AM »

UDESTRUCTION V7 is here, but it has got some new textures and now it's too big to be attached to a post.

Hence, this is the link to download it: http://digilander.iol.it/flagraiders/files/temporary/z_udestruction-version07.pk3
The file will not be there forever... but at least until version8...  Smiley

Changelog:
- Hall of pillars reworked to make bots actually use pillars
- Button to open BFG door moved, trying to help bots.
- Second "big door" removed, replaced with a staircase. Placed Portable Teleporter, Kamizake and Invunerability with "team" key (spawn alternately) there.
- In the warehouse: placed Quad Damage, Regeneration, Flight (30 seconds instead of 60), Invisibility (25 seconds instead of 30), with "team" key.
- In the ruined tower's top, you can now find the GRAPPLE. It's a test and I want to know your opinions about it. Should I keep it? Should I remove it? Should I make it appear less frequently? I fear it may give unfair adavantage against bots... Test it and tell me what do you think.
- Added support for Harvester and Overload modes. Now you can play the map in ALL OA gametypes (well, I left "tournament" out from the .arena). Please test and tell me.
- Some custom textures (e.g. custom woody boxes)
- Added gametype-dependent arrows and colored decorations, to help people finding objectives in the gametypes that have them. Are they ok?
- Added colored light stripes over jump-pads, to help peple find them. I started from Akom's stars effect... and it took me much more time than what I thought (maybe I should have started from Jan's effect... but...). What do you think? Unfortunately, this caused the map to compile in 18 minutes instead of 5... seeing inside the higher tower, I can see that those brushes can leave their shadow on the walls... I don't understand why, considering they have "nolightmap" parameter. Can someone tell me why? They are common/nodraw with a face with gig/gig_stripes1.
This is scripts/gig_stripes1.shader
textures/gig/gig_stripes1
{
        surfaceparm trans   
        surfaceparm nomarks   
        surfaceparm nonsolid
      surfaceparm nolightmap
        cull none

{
      map textures/gig/gig_stripes1.tga
                tcMod Scroll .5 .6
                blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
        }

}
Is there something wrong?

Yes it is. Notice that it makes a difference if you first make the brush all nodraw and then place the shader or if you first create the brush as a shader and then apply nodraw to the other sides (most notable with water).
Could you please better explain? Which difference should I notice?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:23:07 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #664 on: April 19, 2013, 05:33:45 AM »

Hey, yersterday I wasn't able to upload the map because it was too big for the forum.
But now it's on a separate hosting, so you can download UDESTRUCTION V7 from here: http://digilander.iol.it/flagraiders/files/temporary/z_udestruction-version07.pk3

Changelog and feedback required in the post just above this one.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #665 on: April 19, 2013, 06:16:53 AM »

Uploaded Akom's pack, Gig's v07 and Jan's dm3a5 to the server for convenience. And this time they were transferred in binary (I hope) so they should be downloadable as files. EDIT: No luck. -.-

Links and updated info @ the Wiki page.
(I really hated to place that TBA in the release date -.-)

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #666 on: April 19, 2013, 11:43:35 AM »

I've updated udestruction and Akom pack on the test server.

oajgctf1: II've got comments that the color gamma is crazy on the red base - red floor vs green grass vs marble walls. I'm not an expert in such things Smiley Also, the bug when I'm spawning on the enemy map at the start of the game is still present.

udestruction: Bots now are able to find the secret button to open the door to BFG, but I could not find it Sad
The staircase instead of the second secret room looks and plays better now.
Sparks above jumppads look cool, but I've constantly tried to shoot them at the first time.
Hall of pillars is also better now, because it was hard to use previously, and now I can walk there without problems.
Playing CTF - the arrows help somewhat, but it's still hard to navigate to the red flag, because it's inside an unremarkable building, and I'm constantly confused which building I should run to. Blue flag is seen from almost everywhere, but it's much easier to defend it on the other hand. Maybe move the red flag to the roof somewhere, so you can see it from the ground?
I've tried grapple, and it does not seem cheaty to me - bots kill me very well while I am in air.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #667 on: April 20, 2013, 04:08:05 AM »

oajgctf1: Also, the bug when I'm spawning on the enemy map at the start of the game is still present.
Well, some posts ago Jan said he had no time to work on that map yet. The only map he updated recently is oajdDM3alpha5 (I only gave him a little feedback after a quick look to it -see posts near that one-... more testing is required).

udestruction: Bots now are able to find the secret button to open the door to BFG, but I could not find it Sad
Try again, it's not so far.  Smiley Maybe I could try placing some textures to help people navigating there. I don't know exactly how.
Sparks above jumppads look cool, but I've constantly tried to shoot them at the first time.
Why did you? They do not look like Grunt or Merman at all!  Grin
Playing CTF - the arrows help somewhat, but it's still hard to navigate to the red flag, because it's inside an unremarkable building, and I'm constantly confused which building I should run to. Blue flag is seen from almost everywhere, but it's much easier to defend it on the other hand. Maybe move the red flag to the roof somewhere, so you can see it from the ground?
I think I will place some more red decorations around the tower, in CTF mode.
I've tried grapple, and it does not seem cheaty to me - bots kill me very well while I am in air.
Should I keep the default spawning time, then? Or make it something like 20, 30 or 40 seconds?
By the way, thank you for your feedback.  Smiley

PS: if someone has got some idea about why the light of the jumppads is blocked by my "incorporeal" polygons (noticeable only where walls are near to jump-pad), that would be very appreciated.  Smiley That's not a major problem, however it's not so nice to see and makes the map compiling much longer.

PPS: Well guys, it looks like we have to test all maps from Akom (he updated them all):
oa_akompack.pk3 (right click, save as) - Note: It is better to rename it to z_oa_akompack.pk3, to be sure it is loaded AFTER oacmp beta2.
My friend, any request about what we have to test in particular? Did you add some new gametype, maybe?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:41:24 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #668 on: April 20, 2013, 04:59:55 AM »

My friend, any request about what we have to test in particular? Did you add some new gametype, maybe?

No, maybe i have forgot some arena file Oops..... Roll Eyes Tongue

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #669 on: April 20, 2013, 05:53:58 AM »

I've noticed a new dark sky in Akom maps, it looks nice.
Akom, why don't you create your own thread for akomctf3? Neon_knight seems too busy for creating OACMP #2 thread.
You can try then to smuggle it into OACMP1, since other maps are not yet ready anyway.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:59:34 AM by pelya » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #670 on: April 20, 2013, 07:10:15 AM »

OACMP2 will start once OACMP1 has ended.
Me having no own PC ATM is also a pain in the ass. -.-

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #671 on: April 20, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »

I've noticed a new dark sky in Akom maps, it looks nice.
Akom, why don't you create your own thread for akomctf3? Neon_knight seems too busy for creating OACMP #2 thread.
You can try then to smuggle it into OACMP1, since other maps are not yet ready anyway.

The thread you mean will be created by Neon_knight after OACMP1 release  Grin

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #672 on: April 22, 2013, 01:11:39 AM »

Hi guys! It seems I solved my problem! I've used "Make detail" on all the brushes of those "sparks", then the map compiled in 4 minutes and the shadows on the walls seem gone!  Smiley
(Question: is there a way to know if a certain brush is marked as "detail" or "structural"?)

UPDATE: Given a quick try to Akom's maps. They seem to look well enough...  Smiley
First thing, one should rename oa_akompack.pk3 to z_oa_akompack.pk3, to be sure it is loaded AFTER oacmp beta2. In my first tries, I fear I was using the old versions of the maps!

Second thing: Grunt, Major and Sarge are used over and over again...  Tongue (Is this due to the "arena file you forgot" as you said in a post above?)

OA_AKOMDM1:
Is the texture in the screenshot (in the crosshair) intentional? It differs from the rest of that floor.

OA_AKOMDM2:
I noticed this thing ONLY ONCE, and I was playing with the previous version of the map, so I don't know if it is really an issue or not: once I've seen a bot go there (where I shoot the rocket in the screenshot), and then fall down. Maybe a "bot do not enter" could be placed there? I don't know if that is required or if that was just a random thing that does not happen often.

OA_AKOMDM4:
You placed more stars now, right? At first, I thought that the railgun up there was too "campy", then someone railed me from behind: the spawning point just near to the railgun seems a quite good camp preventer. Smiley
However, I was thinking again about the environment suit part. I have not checked in the editor if you did some change to that part... anyway if there are still those "bot do not enter" on the doors that bring to the environment, if one of them goes there by jumping down from the upper floor, how can it escape without committing suicide? I'm not sure, but I fear I've seen one doing that. Maybe Pelya's idea was good...
(PS: I never really understood how bots understand what's the "good" part and the "bad" part of a "do not enter" brush... how do such brushes form an area?)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 08:57:52 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #673 on: April 22, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »

Well, the game give you that three bots by default if nothing appear in the .arena file, and if you click in the other bot's spots the list continue even when you write only three bots in the .arena file, dont know why.

OA_AKOMDM1:
Is the texture in the screenshot (in the crosshair) intentional? It differs from the rest of that floor.
You are right, the texture is different and it's intentional.

OA_AKOMDM2:
I noticed this thing ONLY ONCE, and I was playing with the previous version of the map, so I don't know if it is really an issue or not: once I've seen a bot go there (where I shoot the rocket in the screenshot), and then fall down. Maybe a "bot do not enter" could be placed there? I don't know if that is required or if that was just a random thing that does not happen often.

It's not really a bug, bot sometimes bots fall down, but not always, and not all bots.
However, in online game, this isn't a big problem with humans.

OA_AKOMDM4:
You placed more stars now, right? At first, I thought that the railgun up there was too "campy", then someone railed me from behind: the spawning point just near to the railgun seems a quite good camp preventer. Smiley
However, I was thinking again about the environment suit part. I have not checked in the editor if you did some change to that part... anyway if there are still those "bot do not enter" on the doors that bring to the environment, if one of them goes there by jumping down from the upper floor, how can it escape without committing suicide? I'm not sure, but I fear I've seen one doing that. Maybe Pelya's idea was good...
(PS: I never really understood how bots understand what's the "good" part and the "bad" part of a "do not enter" brush... how do such brushes form an area?)

Depends from bot to another, sometimes bots fall down and sometimes bots fall on the tubes and follow the way to the RA or the LG.

Wink
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:31:12 AM by Akom74 » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #674 on: April 23, 2013, 10:13:13 AM »

Hi guys, can I ask you another thing about nodraw?

In Q3Radiant for Q3A there are two: "nodraw" (purple) and "nodraw - non solid" (yellow). What's the difference between them?
To make a try, i placed both two in two brushes in a map.
They do not show up if I use r_showtris. They do not block me or bullets. OK.

The "nodraw-nonsolid" projects its SHADOW on the ground (did you remember the problem I had few posts above?), while "nodraw" not.
While I'm INSIDE the "nodraw-nonsolid", ALL ITEMS of the arena are NOT drawn; this does not happen with the "nodraw" instead.

If I use "make detail" on the "nodraw-nonsolid" brush, it start behaving like the "nodraw" one (no shadow, no removing items from the screen). What does that mean?

I can guess that, for some reason, if I used the "nodraw" instead of the "nodraw-nonsolid", I would have not had the need to use "make detail" trick on the sparks over the jump-pads, to have them do not project a shadow.
But I don't understand what's the purpose of that nodraw-nonsolid shader...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:16:42 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: