Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1124142 times)
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #900 on: July 15, 2013, 09:32:56 AM »

Would be awesome. It feels like we're really close to release.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #901 on: July 15, 2013, 10:14:33 AM »

Yeah, and even still we should make sure that there won't be last minute surprises.

For the next volume of OACMP, we're going to do things in a different way. First phase before beta 1 will be map delivery. Posterior phases before beta 2 onwards will be for polishing. Perhaps we may have less maps than V1, but we'll have more time for polishing, playtesting and bugfixing. Also, many maps for OACMP2 are already being worked (Akom has been working on them since he finished his OACMP1 maps, and Peter has god_base, which was set for OACMP1 but didn't make it in time) so we don't really need much time for map delivery. Do you agree with this?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #902 on: July 15, 2013, 10:20:43 AM »

Yeah, and even still we should make sure that there won't be last minute surprises.

For the next volume of OACMP, we're going to do things in a different way. First phase before beta 1 will be map delivery. Posterior phases before beta 2 onwards will be for polishing. Perhaps we may have less maps than V1, but we'll have more time for polishing, playtesting and bugfixing. Also, many maps for OACMP2 are already being worked (Akom has been working on them since he finished his OACMP1 maps, and Peter has god_base, which was set for OACMP1 but didn't make it in time) so we don't really need much time for map delivery. Do you agree with this?

Of course i agree. I'm near holiday time and i think to have more time to dedicate to OA maps.
Actually i have 4 maps in "work in progress" status, and i'm eating a lot of pills to do everything but my body need some sleep and my mind it's lost from a long time, then no problem XDXD...... Tongue

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

zeroth
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #903 on: July 15, 2013, 02:16:13 PM »

@pelya: I'm not sure where to post this, so I went straight to source. I cannot login to OACMP (nor OAC Fair DM) server: "Game mismatch: This is a Quake3Arena Server." I ran into this before, and it was assumed that the problem was because I was not running 0.8.8.

I did a clean install of 0.8.8 from the Fedora repo, and I do know how to add and remove pk3's from my /home/.openarena/baseoa to make it a "clean" install, or not. My /usr/share/openarena/baseoa dir is original. With above dir "clean", I still can't log in.

If there's something I'm missing, or this problem has been dealt with in a different thread, please tell me.

I am attempting to become more involved, as a beta tester of maps, if nothing else, and being able to test maps on an Internet server might help enormously.

That which kills me, only makes me try harder.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #904 on: July 15, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »

No idea about that. I've tested my server with 0.8.8 Linux binary client downloaded from openarena.ws, and it was working fine. Just tell me what to change in my server, I'll do that.
zeroth
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #905 on: July 15, 2013, 04:02:31 PM »

I'll do more research, and if necessary, start a new thread. Thanks.

That which kills me, only makes me try harder.
Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #906 on: July 15, 2013, 06:14:33 PM »

I added a target_position (coupled with an info...intermission, so all spectators spawn at the same place) and target_locations (in team games, you can know where you and your teammates are on the map) to MxCtf8 and I fixed the stair bug on MxDm5. I have already named the maps with their CmpPak name (OaCMPDm07 and OaCMPCtf01), If they are finished, we don't have to compile them under another name and we just have to put them in the last pack, if not, we still can work on them... You can download them on the attachments (I wanted to do only 1 pk3, but the file was too heavy for the server).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:49:52 AM by Moixie » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #907 on: July 18, 2013, 04:15:55 PM »

Do the detail textures work in the pack?  Are there any visual anomalies?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #908 on: July 18, 2013, 04:29:34 PM »

I'll test in a few minutes.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #909 on: July 21, 2013, 08:59:19 AM »

Here's a .shader file with detail stages for the egyptsoc textures.   Hopefully this file is an example of how detail textures should be applied to a shader.

I gave it a oa3_textures_ syntax for another future example. I also wonder how well this would work out with existing maps that use the same egyptsoc textures
Tested in oa3cmpdm03 (a.k.a. oa_akomdm3). Some screenshots with r_Detailtextures 1. So far, everything's OK. Is there anything else I need to activate?

I have another map to test which uses egyptsoc textures, oa_reptctf3.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #910 on: July 23, 2013, 04:13:33 AM »

Hi guys, I'm briefly online now, but I will have to disconnect soon, and I don't know if I will have another chance to connect this week (maybe Thursday).
Next week I should be able to be some more available, I hope to be able to release V10 then, but I cannot assure it.
Apart from a couple of small fixes I've already done, the challenge is trying to use the tools Neon_Knight posted some days ago (q3map2build and forked bspc... wait: didn't you tell you would have posted updated links for them here?  Undecided)
What I'm aiming for is to have the map compiling be completely independent from Q3Radiant (it is possible to edit the map with NetRadiant, but the result is slightly different if the map is compiled from there... has someone tried my udestruction09bis test version?)... and hoping to resolve those "short-freeze" problems that occasionally occur in it due to sometimes bot logic taking too much to choose where to go (especially with many bots, also with a quite powerful machine).
But I'll be busy with real life also next week and I don't know if I will have the time required for doing that and then testing bot behavior enough.

Question: should I remove the door of the city entrance also in Elimination CTF mode? In CTF Elimination, surviving does not automatically grant victory, but maybe hiding there for some time letting other players to consume their health in the meanwhile does not sound nice anyway?

By the way, thank you for your comments, Graion. And welcome back! Smiley

@Neon_Knight... maybe also a few screenshots showing the same places taken with the detailtextures option both on and off may have been nice.

PS: I haven't tested latest versions yet, and I cannot do it today... is the 125 Hz physics problem in Moixie's map somehow fixed? Or at least, did someone check if the player can actually compensate it working with arrow keys also if playing online, possibly with a ping higher than 70? I don't know which kind of physics is Pelya's server using.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:39:58 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #911 on: July 23, 2013, 08:12:57 AM »

A few things more, writing from cell phone.

@Zeroth: did you try manually downloading the game from official site instead of using the Fedora repository? Third-party repositories sometimes have some small differences...

@Pelya. Hi man, do you have some feedback about udestruction v9? What do you think about the changes I did in the tower? Does it play better now?

I hope to be able to do some actual test on your server for oacmp beta3 before a rc will be done. I hope also other guys here will: I think all our maps need more online testing before releasing, Did I told you that maybe setting up custom votes to change game physics on the server may be useful? Unfortunately, in this period, I'm not capable of using the pc a lot.

Other things I'd like to see before a RC include fixes to a few Jan's maps problems (I wrote some feedback here http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4679.msg47722#msg47722 and the following post... about Jan's maps, I mentioned initial telefrag and teleporter exiting problems).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:47:05 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #912 on: July 23, 2013, 02:36:09 PM »

I'm quite busy this week with my job, sorry. I hope I'll test new maps this weekend (and also update them on server)
Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #913 on: July 24, 2013, 07:18:02 AM »

is the 125 Hz physics problem in Moixie's map somehow fixed? Or at least, did someone check if the player can actually compensate it working with arrow keys also if playing online, possibly with a ping higher than 70? I don't know which kind of physics is Pelya's server using.

I just tested it with someone on my server. even when his ping was above 200, he could pass the door.
Then, in 90Hz, it works fine, arrow keys aren't necessary. In 125Hz, if you don't use your keys, your head will touch the roof and you'll come back on the jump. Well, it doesn't work but it's not hard to compensate it with the arrow keys.

It's not perfect but there's apparently no way to do it so both physics work well. Then, that's not so hard to compensate it, I don't think it'll be the n°1 die during games.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 07:20:11 AM by Moixie » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #914 on: July 25, 2013, 02:43:54 AM »

It's not perfect but there's apparently no way to do it so both physics work well.
The only way that comes in my mind would be to transform the first jump-pad into a teleporter that would make you re-appear just above the central jump-pad. In that case, when placing the teleporter exit, you should remember that when exiting from a teleporter, players get a small push forward (that currently is a problem with Jan's second DM map!).
Then, that's not so hard to compensate it, I don't think it'll be the n°1 die during games.
Maybe you're right...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:42:16 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #915 on: July 25, 2013, 02:59:36 AM »

About the "detail texture" (detail shader stage) thing, if someone is interested in some infos, here there are two links:
http://toolz.nexuizninjaz.com/shader/shader/section6.htm#6.9 (from q3 shader manual.. it says that detail stages have to follow some rules)
http://www.openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4103.0 (suggestion from Fromhell)

I can see r_detailtextures is set to 1 by default... if a shader does use a detail stage, I suppose we should check it looks acceptable also if the players sets r_detailtextures 0.

I've just added a few infos about it here:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Texture_quality_and_detail
Please correct/integrate it if something is wrong or missing.... I may have misunderstood something.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:36:56 AM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #916 on: July 28, 2013, 07:06:58 AM »

PII Voodoo2 system performance runs most of these maps around 5-16fps FYI

the akom maps run around 6-12, the jg ones run 13-32, and udestruction is........ just........ 1-3fps with SEVERE hitches that are 10 seconds long.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:56:31 AM by fromhell » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #917 on: July 28, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »

PII Voodoo2 system performance runs most of these maps around 5-16fps FYI

the akom maps run around 6-12, the jg ones run 13-32, and udestruction is........ just........ 1-3fps with SEVERE hitches that are 10 seconds long.

Whoops, i think that we have to make our maps more "light", to give the possibility to the users with old hardware to play with this mappack.

Wink

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #918 on: July 28, 2013, 09:24:47 AM »

The fastest akom map is actually that spaceship one

Remember that the system i'm testing is heavily cpu bottlenecked and I do have bots running... and i'm testing with OA 0.8.8 which is just slow overall.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #919 on: July 28, 2013, 09:56:52 AM »

The fastest akom map is actually that spaceship one

Remember that the system i'm testing is heavily cpu bottlenecked and I do have bots running... and i'm testing with OA 0.8.8 which is just slow overall.

Than we have to wait ? Ok, just tell us  Wink

P.S.: Your screens are very dark, it's just your settings ?

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #920 on: July 28, 2013, 11:34:34 AM »

... and a comparison with some other OA maps, on the same machine?

Fortunately, OACMP maps do not have all the strict rules of OA3...  Cheesy
By the way, for my map, in the next days I'll have to do tests with q3map2build and the updated bspc... hoping that would be capable of making bots logic work somehow better. Otherwise, I have no idea about how to manually subdivide this map in clusters (I think read in Q3radiant manual that botclusters "walls" should connect TWO clusters only... considering my map is basically a single great square, does it mention I may only place a single cluster wall arbitrarily splitting the map in two? That does not sound nice.)...
Suggestions are welcome.

Maybe I should place one or two less bots in the .arena file? At the moment, there are various, to make the gameplay frenetic... and also due to I hoped those bots would have been used also in Elimination mode... but for some reason, they are not used there, IIRC. Any idea about the reason why the bots specified in the .arena file are actually used only in some gametypes, and not in others?

PS: @Neon_Knight.. what's with this?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 11:51:31 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #921 on: July 28, 2013, 03:51:26 PM »

Oh, yeah, that's because I have to compile win32 binaries instead of linux binaries.
I'm still trying to figure out how to do that.

P.S: What about some kind of fog which culls what's drawn in the screen? A la ctf_compromise (older versions) or q3tourney5. That way, less stuff should be drawn.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #922 on: July 29, 2013, 06:35:02 AM »

Uhm... a quick try adding "stock" Q3A fog effects to the map... quite disappointing (tested with 3 different of them). See screenshots.
Ideas?

Today, I've really been TOO busy with real life, I cannot test anything more today.
Bye!

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #923 on: July 29, 2013, 08:06:07 AM »

There's a lot of fogs to experiment, perhaps you chose them wrong?

Here's a list of available fogs from OA:
czest2ctf/darkfog
sfx/hellfog_pj_dm10
sfx/hellfog_mini_dm10
sfx/hellfog_tim_dm14
sfx/kc_hellfog_1k
sfx/hellfog_1k
sfx/hellfog
sfx/constfog
sfx/q3tourney3fog
sfx/q3dm9fog
sfx/q3dm14fog
sfx/hellfogdense
sfx/xlightgreyfog
sfx/xdensegreyfog
sfx/xfinalfog
sfx/xbluefog
sfx/xredfog
sfx/fog_timdm1
sfx/fog_timdm2
sfx/fog_timdm8
sfx/fog_timctf1
sfx/fog_pjdm1
sfx/fog_intel
sfx/proto_hellfog
sfx/fog_q3dm10
sfx/mkc_fog_tdm3
sfx/mkc_fog_ctfred
sfx/mkc_fog_ctfblue
sfx/mkc_fog_ctfblue2
fogs/fogyou
fogs/fogoff
fogs/fog_orange
sfx2/ouchfog
sfx2/dist_fog
sfx/xnotsodensegreyfog

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #924 on: July 29, 2013, 08:10:27 AM »

I will not be able to put my hands on the map again today.
Considering you have the .map file, do you wanna do some try, in the meanwhile?

However, I'm not sure the fog really limits the number of polygons that are elaborated... are you sure?

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: