Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: [MAP] OA_Cargo  (Read 79890 times)
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »

The map still feels quite flat, but I don't think that's easily solved with such theme. In overall, it's a nice map so far.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2013, 01:46:37 AM »

Thank You Gig and Suicizer, i've updated the map in the box server and now you will see the appropriate sky.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2013, 05:18:11 AM »

Thank You Gig and Suicizer, i've updated the map in the box server and now you will see the appropriate sky.

Wink

Whoops, I forgot to tell; the jumppads are positioned quite tight to it's platform (you jump over the entity pretty easy). Maybe could use another view and fixup?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2013, 06:02:40 AM »

Wink

Whoops, I forgot to tell; the jumppads are positioned quite tight to it's platform (you jump over the entity pretty easy). Maybe could use another view and fixup?

Sorry, i haven't understand what you mean...... i have to move the trigger higher ?

Can you show me a screeshot ?  Tongue

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2013, 06:47:57 AM »

Sorry, i haven't understand what you mean...... i have to move the trigger higher ?

Can you show me a screeshot ?  Tongue
[/quote]

Can't show you a screenshot as I don't know how jumppads are displayed in a radiant (they are just a hollow cube with green coloured rims in Cube Engine 2, like all entities like playerstarts, weapons, teleports, sounds and mapmodels).
I mean you should raise and wide the trigger a bit yes.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2013, 11:59:20 AM »

Actual jumppads are invisible "trigger brushes", not the same kind of entity used for weapons or spawn point. You create a brush of any shape and size, apply the "trigger" shader (texture) to it... then use the entity properties window to set it as "trigger_push" instead of "worldspawn". Then you make it point to (link using "target" and "targetname" keys) a target_position entity (that is just a point represented by a small cube, that you place at the highest point of the jump).

I don't remember now, maybe it is also possible to add a trigger in a different way, that creates a triger brush of a predefined size in less steps. But I'm writing from cell phone and I can't check now.

Then, jumppads are invisible brushes that usually float a few units above the ground: on the ground there is the jumppad texture on a separate (standard) brush.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 12:17:48 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2013, 03:27:33 PM »

Good, awesome, brilliant map.
Railgun dominates here, and there are plenty of locations to get it.
There are still too little items, especially health and armor shards. The map is big, so there should be plenty.
The jump rails are indeed a bit stiff, you have to walk to the very tip of the rail to activate it.
Underwater area is nice, and especially ironic is the megahealth, because I've drowned and lost exactly 100 health until I've got to the surface. Next time I'll try to swim to the hole under ship.

Fig.1. I like view of open skies. Also, what a nice camp spot. Wait, that's not a railgun? Oh cruel world.
Fig.2. That big gray wall looks worse than a clear sky, don't you agree?
Fig.3. I would like to jump on this building, but I can't, crates are too low.
Fig.4. This side of dock does not have railgun, the other side and the ship have it. Unfair?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 03:40:08 PM by pelya » Logged
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2013, 03:35:32 PM »

Fig.5. I want to jump on these crates, but I can't, that makes me sad (and rocketjumping on cellphone makes me dead).
Fig.6. I've found a bug, yay! It's in the hangar, where you can jump to the dock crane.
Fig.7. I would like to jump on top of these crates, but I can't. Also, they are empty and sad, a health or ammo on top would make them happy.
Fig.8. It moves, awesome! I even got to ride on it, but that was short, because a bot got envious and killed me.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2013, 12:26:28 AM »

Also downloading the current version, I still saw black sky. Then I looked into the pk3 and found out there is a akom_sky2.shader file that is also in oa_gateway.pk3. After removing oa_gateway.pk3, the sky in oa_cargo showed up correctly.  Smiley

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2013, 10:20:15 AM »

Thanks Pelya for reporting the bug (i've never noticed  Huh), i think now is fixed in the version on my pc.
Thank you also for comments and suggestions, i think i have to edit the map, but no until OACMP Volume 2 topic is opened.

Things to do:

1) Add another railgun on the other side of the docks.
2) Add some boxes for jump on some containers and add some items on them.
3) Modify one part of the docks for vertical fight as Suicizer and Neon_knight suggest me.
4) Edit the trigger_push (jumppad) and enlarge them.
5) Add More containers and "bridges" to improve vertical reachability.
6) Move the railgun and switch it with the plasmagun t the other dock like Torreng suggested.
7) Fix some brush bugs founded by Pelya and Torreng (where is it exactly ?).

@Gig: Unfortunately the shader file is the same because i want to release all my latest maps for OACMP Volume 2. When the pack will be released, the shader file will be only one, and all contrasts will be eliminated (i hope Tongue ).

Wink
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:10:42 AM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2013, 10:57:35 AM »

For the cargoes (?) you might want to add wood/metal bars or other containers, acting like "bridges" between the container piles. These containers might also be walkable on the top.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2013, 10:55:54 AM »

Nice cargo theme. I think it is nicer to look at it, as to play on it... It is nice that you already brought some dynamic in it with the moving thing. Further I would like to see more... for example you can build a "control room" with monitors and much buttons...and add a trigger on a big button that activates or do something on the cargo (don't ask me what punched).
torreng
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2013, 04:54:13 AM »

Nice, big map with lots of things going on everywhere. Details are beautiful. Obviously huge amount of work gotten into it, and it's really promising. Well done!

Here be my suggestions:

- You may achieve the vertical fights you desire with making those containers constitute another level. As you mentioned, vertical reachability around containers (maybe adding even more containers) would really spice up the fight. Try to extend the "containers" section of the map to crane; I mean, paths from top of the containers to crane's second level etc (with bridges Neon_Knight mentioned). Think about spanning that region with a half-level.

-
1) Add another railgun on the other side of the docks.
Instead of adding another, switch the one near the big gate with narrow-side plasma. 3+ RG's are too much, even for maps this big.

- Speaking of narrow-side, as a future work, you may think about scaling up that part. Maybe with an underground section...

- They way I found the "big gate" being hollow was getting through it from a small ledge (which are at both sides of the gate).
And,
Fig.6. I've found a bug, yay! It's in the hangar, where you can jump to the dock crane.
Same thing happens for the box seen just ahead, inside the hangar.

Keep up the good work!

DAS!
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2013, 11:12:14 AM »

Updated the "things to do" list: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4825.msg48543#msg48543

Torreng, please, show me where exactly is the bug you have founded.

If anyone else found some similar bug, please tel me. Thanks  Grin

Wink

torreng
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2013, 01:58:50 PM »

This is the latest version, isn't it? Or am I giving useless outdated feedback?

P.S: Sorry, I couldn't find the spoiler tag.

DAS!
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2013, 03:44:48 PM »

Thanks, i've found it !
I will fix this bug in the next version.

Wink

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2015, 08:47:18 AM »

Hi everyone Cheesy

I'm here again after a lot of time to give you the chance to try the last version of this map.

I've added some brush work, add some entity, and fixed something else Tongue

I know there's some fix to add, but i want your feedback about this version.

Here is the Download link:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/r7r7mhyy8rwcky3hasjl

I hope you enjoy this map !

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2015, 05:16:51 AM »

Quickly tried. Cool!  Smiley

I still have to try it with some actual fighting, but for the moment I can say:
- What about adding support for some extra gametype? Of course DDom and Dom... but maybe even CTF-like gamemodes may work... (Note: I don't know if the map should be listed for Elimination/LMS modes: there is a lot of room, so moving around rocket-jumping should be very nice, but in the other hand, there are many places to hide -which are not optimal for Elimination/LMS rules-... UPDATE: I just tried it in a 4vs4 Elimination, and found it funny! Smiley)
- What about adding location names? Even if just "left dock", "right dock", "ship" and "water"...
- Look at the first screenshot: are feet of the bot buried in ground?
- Look at the second screenshot: there are some things (columns, containers, etc) around the external perimeter which have one side completly not illuminated.
- Look at the third screenshot: I can guess there should be a "glass texture" patch there (maybe the patch is already there, but is wrongly oriented?), like on the other side (looking from inside, it looks like there is no glass, but if you turn around the ship, you can see the glass in the window).
- Using slightly foggy water, maybe? Just an idea...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 05:34:23 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2015, 09:10:48 AM »

Thanks Gig for feedback.

I've edited the map and fixed those bugs.

Anyone else ? Tongue

Wink

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2015, 11:00:17 PM »

it's a little wide open Tongue and really favors bunnyhopping.

The sky could be better, like a new, more scattered sky shader, to bring a little more light and less blue all over the place.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2015, 05:22:18 AM »

it's a little wide open Tongue and really favors bunnyhopping.

The sky could be better, like a new, more scattered sky shader, to bring a little more light and less blue all over the place.

Fixed Cheesy

@Gig: About naming places, first i want to be sure if the map was good or not, in a second time we can name every place Tongue Tongue

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2015, 12:29:41 PM »

What about adding the ability to get on  the roof of a couple of containers in the lateral docks (via jumppad, ramps or crates) to further improve vertical fighting?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2015, 01:28:47 AM »

Hi everyone.

Here is the last version of the map with some fixes.

The Download link is this:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/r7r7mhyy8rwcky3hasjl

As you can see, i've improved a lot of things.

I've removed many brushes from the borders of the docks and add some ammobox.

Tell me if you like it.

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2015, 03:34:44 AM »

Looks awesome on the screenshots. I'll certainly check it out when I'm back from holiday (and oa_suicizer also).

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2015, 03:41:51 AM »

Quickly tried.
I like it, but I'm not completely sure about a few things:

- Removing those small pillars from the docks may have caused them look "less" like docks... What about keeping a few of them, maybe?
- Look at the first screenshot: what about making that floor reachable and with something on it (or else, removing the floor at all)?
- Look at the other screenshots: I would like very much the ability to get on the containers of this area (I already mentioned I would have liked some places to get on some more containers to improve vertical fighting), because then jumping from one to the other is funny (try it).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:45:52 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: