Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: [MAP] OA_Cargo  (Read 79846 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2015, 04:03:29 AM »

A few more things:
- First screenshot: I can guess that side should not be completely black.
- Second screenshot: That black line looks like not being intentional.
- What about using some TA item? Just an idea...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2015, 02:25:10 AM »

Looks awesome on the screenshots. I'll certainly check it out when I'm back from holiday (and oa_suicizer also).

Thanks, i'll wait your feedback on the two maps.

@Gig: Did you know when a source light is at the right of an object ? The other side it has to be dark (or black). I try to insert a minor light entity as possible, to give at the ambient-light a better effect, or maybe a lamp as a light source.

- fixed some bug, thanks Gig Smiley

Tell me if you notice something else.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2015, 05:05:22 AM »

@Gig: Did you know when a source light is at the right of an object ? The other side it has to be dark (or black).
One thing is being darker, another one is being totally black, especially in a well-illuminated room. Wink

Q3MAP2 compiler has got some options to make light "bounce" more or less, to bring some "reflected" light to places which do not see a light source directly.
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Fake_indirect_lighting
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_manual/Lighting
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_manual/Advanced_lighting

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2015, 07:35:17 AM »

Tell me if you notice something else.
Let's see...

1) First screenshot: for some reason, projectile weapons do pass through the walls of this area (strangely, hitscan wapons not).
2) First screenshot: maybe adding a second jumppad here may make a little less predictable the way one would use to return to the main bridge of the ship (although maybe most people would then use the one that would bring to the plasmagun?)?
2.1) Otherwise, one may add a playable "indoor" section inside the ship (lower bridge?), accessible through this area and through a second access which would bring them back to the main bridge or to the tower. Cargo ship may be used a little more, that way.  Smiley
3) Second screenshot: projectiles do pass through the shutter here.
4) Third screenshot: maybe the "corridor" of this side of the docks may be a little wider, to strafejump more freely? The other side looks a bit more "spacious". If that requires a lot of work, ignore it.
4.1) Also, I can guess you made it difficult to pass where there is the crane on purpose, to invite people to go to the area where there are "speed" and "portable medkit", right?
5) Fourth screenshot: what about adding there a ramp to get out of the water?
6) Random idea: there are some good looking shutters in this map. Some of them are closed, others are open.... the idea is "what about making one actually working?", in other words making one of them actually a door which opens when people approach or shoot at it. Q3 maps did use doors relatively often, OA ones much less, IIRC. But then, maybe it may be strange that one shutter "works" and the others stay still, so maybe this is a stupid idea... Maybe the working one may look different (different color and/or different size), to make it clear it's another kind of shutter.
7) Bots do not seem to be very interested in going to the red armor/personal teleporter platform.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:33:37 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2015, 02:51:46 AM »

I'm fixing something, maybe in a few hour i'll upload a new version of the map.

If you find something else, tell me and it will be fixed.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2015, 03:59:15 AM »

Uhm... there are some other boxes in the same room with a pitch black side...

And, but this is not a bug but an aesthetic choice... it looks like you decided to place a "base" under red and yellow armors. But the yellow armor on the ship (unlike other armors, on a container) does not have it.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2015, 10:41:21 AM »

Hi everyone Smiley Smiley

Here you can Download the latest version of OA_Cargo:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/ooxm4008dgywurw2xy201oyex47xf2r0

Some screenshots:

Enjoy and tell me Smiley

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2015, 12:45:09 PM »

I don't think I will be able to test it before Monday,  but screens look good.

Gig from cell phone.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2015, 07:15:35 AM »

Given a quick try on Android phone.

Good, but a few things:
- Was it necessary to completely remove the crane?
- Why did you remove that yellow armor on the ship?
- Maybe the path which connects the two docks (behind the ship, where you just added ramps to get out of water) is too tight?
- I still miss the ability to get above the containers of the area where there are many.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:21:14 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2015, 12:55:58 PM »

Given a quick try on Android phone.

Good, but a few things:
- Was it necessary to completely remove the crane?
- Why did you remove that yellow armor on the ship?
- Maybe the path which connects the two docks (behind the ship, where you just added ramps to get out of water) is too tight?
- I still miss the ability to get above the containers of the area where there are many.

- I've deleted the crane for better map-roaming.
- I can reinsert it, no problem.
- It can be enlarged, but i think it's not so necessary...
- For now, no way to jump above the containers.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2015, 12:44:36 AM »

- I've deleted the crane for better map-roaming.
That was nice looking... Moving it to another place or modifying its lower part to allow better passage (on its sides and/or below it like an arch) may have been feasible alternatives.
- I can reinsert it, no problem.
It's just that going up there requires some effort (unless you jump down from the tower), so having something useful there is good.
- It can be enlarged, but i think it's not so necessary...
I would do that, however decide yourself.
- For now, no way to jump above the containers.
Sad.  Sad

Smiley

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2015, 06:26:13 PM »

I like how you replaced some walls with the sky, the map feels fresh and breezy (I think that was done few versions ago, but I did not test it for a long time).
The crane - I don't have an opinion, the map is okay both with and without it. But if you add it back, please make some way to climb it. Also it will make the wide pier a bit less campy, because currently it's huge open space where railgun dominates.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2015, 02:50:35 AM »

Hi everyone Smiley

Here is the last version of OA_Cargo.

And here is the Download link:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/r7r7mhyy8rwcky3hasjl

- Reinserted the yellow armor
- Reinserted the crane, now it's moding !!
- Other minor things....

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2015, 03:06:31 AM »

Quickly tried.
Nice, but the lower part of the moving container has got inconsistent light (wow a moving object is lit is due to its initial position).
Do you think that, for design harmony, you should add a basement under quad damage, or remove the one under speed?
Still missing you know what.  Smiley

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2015, 11:43:37 AM »

Gig, don't forget that the original .map file is included in the release, if this Map will be added to an "hypothetical" OACMP Vol.2, Neon Knight can modify it as he want (however anyone can do this, if he want).

I'm only doing my best to give the community a Map to fight in.

Wink

cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2015, 07:11:20 AM »

Without ambient occlusion baked into lightmaps, these maps look and feel unnaturally flat, on the level of Uncanny Valley  Angry

Either something is wrong with the map editor/exporter or it is always used with debug quick-export settings instead of production settings.

Because most Quake II maps looked much, much better than this. They were also taking several hours to compile, due to each lightmap texel receiving bounced light from each other lightmap texel in its visibility, up to 3 times.
http://benryves.com/bin/blueprints/3d/2007.08.09.01.png

As it is now, even Minecraft has more realistic, pleasant lighting than the screenshots provided here  grouch

Imma lazy dreamer. I achieved nothing.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2015, 09:51:11 AM »

Without ambient occlusion baked into lightmaps, these maps look and feel unnaturally flat, on the level of Uncanny Valley  Angry

Either something is wrong with the map editor/exporter or it is always used with debug quick-export settings instead of production settings.

Because most Quake II maps looked much, much better than this. They were also taking several hours to compile, due to each lightmap texel receiving bounced light from each other lightmap texel in its visibility, up to 3 times.
http://benryves.com/bin/blueprints/3d/2007.08.09.01.png

As it is now, even Minecraft has more realistic, pleasant lighting than the screenshots provided here  grouch

Thanks for your feedback, the map is a Beta version not optimized, because of an error occourred during the compiling process. The VIS process don't work and i've decided to release the map as it is, for now, just to have feedback and suggestions.

When i've more time, i will fix the VIS problem.

By the way, in the PK3 you can find the original .map file in the "sources" folder, if you want make some try to verify the issue.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2016, 08:21:47 PM »

The map becomes bigger and better. (hehe)

The lighting problem can be solved by deleting all the light entities and compiling the map so only the light emitted from shaders remain. From there on, light wherever you need to, and avoid the white light as it's what makes the map to look so unnatural.

Regarding items, the map is pretty big now, so placing the BFG shouldn't be really a problem. You can place it inside of the water, as water can be useful as a hazard, just make sure to remove the Battle Suit as well so it becomes more difficult to catch.

You can place the Battle Suit inside of this warehouse, so there's more reason to go there...

...and the Megahealth on this other warehouse which needs more reason to be visited.

I also agree with Gig that you should also add some TA item (Nailgun, Chaingun, Prox Launcher, Invulnerability or Kamikaze). The map is pretty big so it won't be much of a problem.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:59:00 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »

Thanks for your feedback, the map is a Beta version not optimized, because of an error occourred during the compiling process. The VIS process don't work and i've decided to release the map as it is, for now, just to have feedback and suggestions.

When i've more time, i will fix the VIS problem.

By the way, in the PK3 you can find the original .map file in the "sources" folder, if you want make some try to verify the issue.

Wink
I've tried to compile your map, and it outputs this error in the q3map2 which comes with netradiant-git:

Code:
2 threads
Q3Map         - v1.0r (c) 1999 Id Software Inc.
Q3Map (ydnar) - v2.5.16
GtkRadiant    - v1.5.0 Oct  8 2004 08:08:27
Voter turnout
--- InitPaths ---
VFS Init: C:/Games/OpenArena/devoa088/
VFS Init: C:/Games/OpenArena/baseq3/

--- BSP ---
Flare surfaces enabled
Creating meta surfaces from brush faces
Verbose entities enabled
(...)
     2872 shaderInfo
--- LoadMapFile ---
Loading C:\Games\OpenArena\devoa088\maps\oa_cargo.map
entering C:\Games\OpenArena\devoa088\maps\oa_cargo.map
Entity 0, Brush 107: duplicate plane
Entity 0, Brush 377: duplicate plane
Entity 0, Brush 1455: origin brushes not allowed in world
Entity 0, Brush 1981: duplicate plane
WARNING: Over 90 percent structural map detected. Compile time may be adversely affected.
(...)

Code:
2 threads
Q3Map         - v1.0r (c) 1999 Id Software Inc.
Q3Map (ydnar) - v2.5.16
GtkRadiant    - v1.5.0 Oct  8 2004 08:08:27
Voter turnout
--- InitPaths ---
VFS Init: C:/Games/OpenArena/devoa088/
VFS Init: C:/Games/OpenArena/baseq3/

--- Vis ---
Loading C:\Games\OpenArena\devoa088\maps\oa_cargo.bsp
Loading C:\Games\OpenArena\devoa088\maps\oa_cargo.prt
  7062 portalclusters
 26308 numportals
 20524 numfaces
************ ERROR ************
MAX_MAP_VISIBILITY exceeded

You need to reduce the amount of portals VIS generates by reducing the amount of structural brushes in your map. You can either a) turn redundant brushwork into a mapmodel or b) make brushes unnecessary for vis blocking (the ship itself can very well be this) as detail brushes.

Read this page for more info: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_manual/Optimization_and_troubleshooting
Also this as well: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_manual/Brush_manipulation#Detail_and_structural_brushes

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2016, 11:50:49 AM »

Here's the fixed .map file. I've turned A LOT of stuff into detail brushes and now the map, while it takes A LOT of time in the VIS stage, no wonder due to the map's voluminous size, at least it doesn't crash anymore there.

Akom, be sure to read the above links. In the meantime, here you have the fixed map. I've zipped it due to the long size of the .map file itself.

EDIT: You may want to also rename the .shader files in your scripts/ folder so they don't clash with those in the OACMP and cause map errors.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: