Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Q3A pk3s in OA?  (Read 10883 times)
[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

If you can read this, then you don't need glasses

« on: April 19, 2014, 02:13:12 PM »

Just wondering 'bout something...

For a couple of months, I've been trying to get ioQuake3 running with my Quake 3 data. Then, I had an idea: Why not replace the OA pk3s with my Q3A pk3s? It's the same engine and stuff, right?

HALP!

Whenever someone says "Use a mod" I cut myself. I've almost bled to death a couple of times (No, not really.)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 02:20:44 PM »

No

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »

I've been trying to get ioQuake3 running with my Quake 3 data. Why not replace the OA pk3s with my Q3A pk3s? It's the same engine and stuff, right?
What's the point? You can use Quake 3 assets and gamecode with the OpenArena engine, but in that case I'd just use the vanilla ioquake3 engine.
FYI using ioquake3 with OA's pk3s works perfectly fine, that's how I run OA.

This space is for rent.
[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 07:16:07 PM »

Thanks.

Whenever someone says "Use a mod" I cut myself. I've almost bled to death a couple of times (No, not really.)
asmanel
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 04:24:53 PM »

There also is the fact Id Software released under a free software license the Q3 engine source code but not the data, that remain their property.
[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 04:37:28 PM »

I managed to get Q3A working without OA. Turns out that when it says that you need to put pak0.pk3 in there, it means ALL the pk3 files...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 01:08:18 AM »

Do you mean that you were trying to use DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Q3A/ioquake3]ioquake3 in its standard way, as an alternate engine for Q3A, but you were missing pak1.pk3, pak2.pk3, pak3.pk3, etc?? To work, ioquake3 needs the pk3 found in Q3 CD (pak0.pk3), plus those from the latest Q3 DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/PointRelease]PointRelease, v1.32/1.32c.

Ioquake3 "Data installer download" (http://ioquake3.org/get-it/) should show a wizard which asks for your Q3 CD, and already contains PointRelease 1.32 additional pk3 files.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 10:06:43 AM »

Any game assets or code (binary or source) that someone includes as part of running a server are his/her responsibility.  If you include non-free/proprietary assets or code on your sever, you bare the responsibility for making sure you have legally and properly acquired the correct license to the assets or code.  IN ADDITION AND MORE IMPORTANTLY...you bare the responsibility that those you distribute these assets or code to also possess/maintain the right license(s). 

So the long of the short of it's not OA's responsibility to approve or disapprove of the content a server owner/operator maintains on their server.  It is the responsibility of the server owner/operator.   OA will never include content or code as part of it's distribution or source that cannot be licensed under GPL v2. 

HOWEVER, make no mistake, if you run Q3A assets on your server, and you cannot verify that each and every player connecting to your server to download the missing pk3's has a license....then you are in violation of the Q3A license.   Your only other option to avoid distributing to unlicensed individuals would be to turn downloads off.

Note: The above does not constitute legal advice, it is merely an opinion.
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 12:56:40 PM »

OA will never include content or code as part of it's distribution or source that cannot be licensed under GPL v2.
So what about q3lcc? Tongue

Quote from: COPYRIGHT
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:59:20 PM by grey matter » Logged

This space is for rent.
[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 01:08:50 PM »

Let me clear something up...

I already own the Quake 3 arena data, I just couldn't get it to work under ioQuake3 for a while...

SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 11:04:28 PM »

OA will never include content or code as part of it's distribution or source that cannot be licensed under GPL v2.
So what about q3lcc? Tongue

Quote from: COPYRIGHT

The compatability of the licenses is highly technical.  As far as I am able to interpret it, id used lcc as a tool to build something unrelated to lcc, Q3.  Q3lcc while a derivative work was never charged for either and it was attributed
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: