Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFG.....  (Read 21221 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: July 02, 2014, 07:02:48 AM »

Ballistic Faerie Gun?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 11:15:13 AM »

A high-damaging shockwave launcher?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
asmanel
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 03:01:31 PM »

Quote from: fromhell
Ballistic Faerie Gun?

Make the BFG a monster gun firing flying little creatures ? Nice idea, nice and deadly.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 11:50:16 PM »

Bad Fate Gun?
Big Fatal Gun?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 07:16:26 AM »

Bloody Fantastic Gun Cheesy
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 11:35:44 AM »

Big Flaming Gun make it something like a super charged flam thrower.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 03:32:19 AM »

Big Flaming Gun make it something like a super charged flam thrower.
Changing weapons behaviour is NOTTODO for baseoa. Maybe bfg shots may look like red fireballs, but proper flame thrower behaviour would be stuff for a mod.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 11:49:20 AM »

I made this thread because

1. We're stuck with the familiar "BFG10K" acronym for good
2. We can call it something else, make it fire something slightly different
3. Give the F a non-expletive meaning and avoid more id-isms

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 11:54:04 AM »

Battle Fireball Gattler 10.000 (?)
It launches ammunition set on fire (fireballs?) from a cannon-like device. Fireballs don't cause burning OFC.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 02:39:34 PM »

Ballistic Frog Gun 10.000, which launches a deady poison frog-like projectile towards your aimed area (included with a 'ribbit' when launching of course and a splash when it hits anything).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:22:47 PM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
asmanel
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 03:50:41 PM »

bombing fixer gun 10, kernelled version

[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

If you can read this, then you don't need glasses

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 06:02:17 PM »

Big Fragging Gatlinggun (Just cram "Gatling gun" into one word)

Fires Gatling Gun Rounds at a rate of 100 RPS. Rips everything into little strips of people-bacon... Holds up to 500 ammo.

Well, why not?

Whenever someone says "Use a mod" I cut myself. I've almost bled to death a couple of times (No, not really.)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 06:29:34 PM »

NOTTODO

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 08:52:32 PM »

Big Fragging Gatlinggun (Just cram "Gatling gun" into one word)

Fires Gatling Gun Rounds at a rate of 100 RPS. Rips everything into little strips of people-bacon... Holds up to 500 ammo.

Well, why not?
Because modifying the functionality of the weapons is not the idea of this topic.

The functionality of the weapons are all kept the same as they ever are/were. That's the main and unchangeable aspect of OpenArena, whether people like this or not. The only changes are visual/cosmetic.

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 09:55:28 PM »

Are we really "stuck" with the BFG name??  Code, artwork, etc.... can all be changed.

If the characters can have different names and looks, why not call this a Flame Cannon (or whatever) and be done with it.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 04:49:13 AM »

Are we really "stuck" with the BFG name??  Code, artwork, etc.... can all be changed.

If the characters can have different names and looks, why not call this a Flame Cannon (or whatever) and be done with it.

Well...
1. We're stuck with the familiar "BFG10K" acronym for good
I agree with Fromhell. Weapons names are known by the players since many years. Why should we create confusion, giving a different name to the same weapon, after many years?

Furthermore:
- Old MODS would continue to call it "BFG" as before, possibly creating further confusion.
- For backwards compatibility, internally it should continue to be referenced as BFG in any case. Otherwise, we would break compatibility with existing maps and mods. And that's DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/NOTTODO]NOTTODO.
- Asking a mapper to add a "BFG" in their map, to have the game spawn a "XLG/KKL/MegaGun/Whatever" would sound a bit strange. Although the internal name and description of some items isn't really consistent already (e.g. haste/speed)....
- Wepons behavior in baseoa has to be the same as the original game. Fromhell estabilished changing weapons behavior is NOTTODO since the project start, I think.

Hence, changing the color of its blasts, or the meaning of the acronym (meaning which is probably never mentioned inside the game itself) is acceptable... but chaning its gameplay (speed, damage...) is not. Changing the "BFG" text is probably possible, but I would not recommend it.

Just updating documentation to mention that in OA3 "BFG" means "B....... F......... G........" instead of "Big Freaking Gun" costs nothing.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 04:56:24 AM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 07:26:12 AM »

like for example

[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 08:46:47 AM »

Ah. So just a cosmetic change? In that case...

Big Fantastical Gun: BFG blasts turn into balloons, with a "Radioactive" insignia on them, and instead of lasers, it fires flaming streamers.

Whenever someone says "Use a mod" I cut myself. I've almost bled to death a couple of times (No, not really.)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 09:30:50 AM »

and instead of lasers
Which lasers? Are you sure you are not talking about the BFG10k from Quake 2? That's very different than the BFG10K from Quake 3...

@Fromhell: Strange, but nice! ^_^
However, I'm OK also with the good old BFG... ;-)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:45:06 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 10:03:43 AM »

like for example
Seems to me a lot of polygons into a single projectile. If OA3 is all about performance, IMHO a cannon+fireball might be a better fit and would be less polygons than a "magic fairy".

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 10:07:18 AM »

like for example

That's my idea but instead of a frog, a fairy...

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »

and instead of lasers
Which lasers? Are you sure you are not talking about the BFG10k from Quake 2? That's very different than the BFG10K from Quake 3...

@Fromhell: Strange, but nice! ^_^
However, I'm OK also with the good old BFG... ;-)

Whoops. Got them mixed up there... TAKE 2.

Big Fantastical Gun: Rapidly fires exploding nuclear balloons. Because it's Fantastical goddammit.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 01:00:56 PM »

And what about a simil-Quake2 BFG ? I mean a projectile more fast than the Q2 game, but the same ball that laser averyone.........
..... Grin

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 03:11:45 PM »

And what about a simil-Quake2 BFG ? I mean a projectile more fast than the Q2 game, but the same ball that laser averyone.........
..... Grin
NOTTODO. Again, thats's stuff for a mod.

By the way, there is already a mod which replaces q3 bfg with q2 bfg: BFG10K Arena
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/BFG10K_Arena

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 04:07:09 PM »

..... Grin
NOTTODO. Again, thats's stuff for a mod.

By the way, there is already a mod which replaces q3 bfg with q2 bfg: BFG10K Arena
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/BFG10K_Arena

Maybe Fromhell can change only the model of the projectile with a bigger one, and with a shader for the lasers effect (only the effect, players won't be hurted).

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: