Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dark Abbey OA Maps  (Read 56123 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2015, 04:17:11 PM »

I don't recommend messing around with the items' timing. It's better to place the BFG in a riskier place. Remember the "risk vs. reward" concept.

More risky spot? Okay how about a platform over lava pool? See screenshot.

The lava pool maybe a good idea, but not in the same place as it is now.

Build it on the first floor. Smiley

Wink

My initial idea was to build it next to the secret room. Now by your suggestion to put it on first floor I got that idea:

That lava BFG room will be placed below first floor (hope ya mean ground floor) with a grid roof so that it is visible at the top ground floor. And the access to that room over portal only. The portal placed inside the secret room.

Maybe a good idea, can't wait to see what you can do about the portal Smiley

(...and yes, i was meaning the ground floor... Tongue ...)

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2015, 08:47:51 AM »

I don't think it's necessary to lower the platform. The BFG is an overpowered weapon (or a superweapon, if you prefer), and as such, it should be placed in a place where it should be hard to get. (I.E. in am_lavaarena and derivative maps it's inside of the central lava pool) so players must work their way to get it, unlike the other weapons.

There's this little principle called "risk vs. reward" where the powerfulness of an item should be directly proportional to its difficult to reach such item. It's a safe bet to place the Shotgun near a spawnpoint because it's a weak weapon, although a bit stronger than the Machinegun. The Rocket Launcher has tons of utilities, so it can be placed in both risky or not risky places, depending on the design choices of a mapper.

Risk isn't exactly a harmful place for the player, it could very well mean an exposed place (example: the Big Keg O' Health in Unreal Tournament's CTF-Face, where it's placed in the middle of the asteroid).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 08:52:24 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2016, 07:40:10 PM »

One more taken for a ride (lalalala-lalalala)

Consider using the unconnected platforms for something else other than weapons, the Rocket Launcher is an important weapon in OA gameplay, so it should be easily accessible to everyone, bots included. Perhaps another powerup? The Quad is already overused, try something else, IDK, perhaps Haste or Regeneration?

The Shotgun should be near a spawnpoint, as it's a better weapon than the Machinegun. Since water is already an environmental feature (and should be classified under hazard as there is a risk of dying) what about placing something else here? The Lightning Gun, for example.

Finally, the lighting should be reworked. Try deleting all of the lights from your map and compile it only with the lighting emitted from the shaders and start working from there.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:55:46 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2016, 09:08:13 AM »

One more taken for a ride (lalalala-lalalala)

Consider using the unconnected platforms for something else other than weapons, the Rocket Launcher is an important weapon in OA gameplay, so it should be easily accessible to everyone, bots included. Perhaps another powerup? The Quad is already overused, try something else, IDK, perhaps Haste or Regeneration?

The Shotgun should be near a spawnpoint, as it's a better weapon than the Machinegun. Since water is already an environmental feature (and should be classified under hazard as there is a risk of dying) what about placing something else here? The Lightning Gun, for example.

Finally, the lighting should be reworked. Try deleting all of the lights from your map and compile it only with the lighting emitted from the shaders and start working from there.

Thanks for these comments, sounds nice will use to change some based on your comments.   Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: