Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: CTF map: oasago2 (Beta 4)  (Read 83640 times)
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2009, 07:01:32 AM »

it has Wink

If i'm quick at updating it, server might be a way for lazy guys to get maps instead of downloading it themselves Cheesy

Old version (2b9) is still available too, but not in rotation.

Todo: Walk the cat.
ikao
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2009, 08:24:08 AM »

IMHO, the new map looks ugly and crowded.
It doesn't do anything for framerate either.
Also, what's the purpose of that weird room with the rocket launcher?
RudyRailer
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2009, 08:17:14 PM »

I have some ideas for an oasago2+ version.
I can do some lowkey editing on some screenshots to give some ideas.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2009, 08:33:03 PM »

IMHO, the new map looks ugly and crowded.
I agree.

It is only to see if it was possible to get extra performance. If that isn't the case then b4 makes no sense (and even if it did make sense it would require a lot of work). I consider f9 to be the latest "stable" version.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2009, 10:31:42 AM »

Maybe this map is to late in development but..

I played osago on corkscrew server. Graple and all. So I had some view on uper levels of osago2. They are modeled and shloud be used. So I was thinking adding jumping for access those platforms above flag "room"

Maybe it would bring more camping over flag but it would be great attacking site. Maybe this suggestions sux. But upper levels should be used. Maybe uper levels over lightning gun rooms.
RudyRailer
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2009, 12:34:17 PM »

Maybe this map is to late in development but..

I played osago on corkscrew server. Graple and all. So I had some view on uper levels of osago2. They are modeled and shloud be used. So I was thinking adding jumping for access those platforms above flag "room"

Maybe it would bring more camping over flag but it would be great attacking site. Maybe this suggestions sux. But upper levels should be used. Maybe uper levels over lightning gun rooms.

I got  the same idea bout opening upper level,..and then some more.
Are you making maps christoos?
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2009, 09:22:55 PM »

@dash9
I have no idea, I cannot reproduce it myself.
I made some screenshots with oasago2b4.
340 and 341 show how zooming in on a flag on the wall drops the fps. It does not happen with every flag. The fps delta here is 20 frames on average; the delta is much bigger on the flags over the bridge, for example.
The second example is really weird. See 345 and 346 (where I zoomed in). 30 fps lower in the zoomed in version. It's practically a single texture which has to be rendered, but the fps is ridiculously slow.

Anyone has any explanation?

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2009, 03:21:48 PM »

I have an idea for the map. What about putting two team-colored banners by side in the middle passage? That way is possible to block campers' visibility on the map. I have to make a modifying to show that.

EDIT: I've modified the .map file (I didn't know it was inside the pk3) download here. (That's only the .map file) I don't know which switches you use on compiling.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 03:40:37 PM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2009, 02:02:17 AM »

hey sago, are you still on it?

thx for your great maps I had a lot of ggs on it.

is a final oasago3 in sight anywehre? I still got heavy fps drops when near the bridge with all versions of oasago so far.

so I'm looking forward to a newer version Smiley
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 05:11:47 AM by PopeJo » Logged

PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2009, 05:12:28 AM »

well,, some screenshots... Smiley

"many players" + "shots" + "sago bridge" come together = fps drops to 15fps
I get 125-90 fps, when alone in the base at a flag, facing a wall. (not the best defense position)

here's a gallery. movement from base wall, to flag, to bridge (alone. in game fps are lower):

os[linux 2.6.24-23-generic i686]
distro[ubuntu/hardyd]
cpu[1 x Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 430  @ 1.73GHz (GenuineIntel) @ 1.73GHz]
mem[Physical: 1.5GB, 68.3% free]
disk[Total: 431.9GB, 31.7% free]
video[Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller]

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2009, 07:06:48 AM »

turn on r_speeds and r_showtris and walk around the base. large portions of the map is drawn from most locations. i have the same problem on the pul1ctf map and i'm planning a remake for that one. not sure how to solve the oasago2 problem though.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2009, 07:10:28 AM »

I took a look at the .map file of b4 before I stopped mapping, it hasn't any hint brushes. Also, I've found surfaces which can't be seen in any way ingame and aren't caulked, so these are drawn as well. :/

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2009, 12:50:06 AM »

I suggest using a simpler torch model or just a couple brushes as an alternative. Should help FPS a lot.

0kelvin
I LEFT THE FORUM BY EDITING ALL MY POSTS OUT!!! HAHAHA!!! TAKE THAT, INTERNET!
Half-Nub

Cakes -54

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2009, 11:26:09 AM »

openarena
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:08:45 PM by 0kelvin » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2009, 03:55:35 PM »

You have worked with 2f9, the recent version is 2b4. Tongue

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2009, 04:03:45 PM »

You have worked with 2f9, the recent version is 2b4. Tongue
Actually b4 was more like a test... and a failed test too. f9 is the is the latest version.

0kelvin
I LEFT THE FORUM BY EDITING ALL MY POSTS OUT!!! HAHAHA!!! TAKE THAT, INTERNET!
Half-Nub

Cakes -54

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2009, 04:10:22 PM »

openarena
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:08:29 PM by 0kelvin » Logged
zuma
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2009, 10:41:07 PM »

Could i request considering substituting rampas (slides) with stairs? Q3 has certain physics which work/or not in certain conditions. A rampa is slower to pass than stairs. The distance where the 1st bottom one ends is quite crafty placed, which allows not to lose speed if you made and extra long strafe jump from the bridge and landed on the flat ground. You would lose speed if there were stairs eitherway.
I cant remember which native Q3 maps had rampas. Also LG to LG bridge must be done in 3 click jumps if you dont want to lose speed. I havent seen triple jumps before too.
MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2009, 02:58:53 PM »

And another request.
Can item placement be improved? It's better when there's no more than 1 weapon of same type per side (no 3 RL's and 1 in the center, 2 PG's).
Also ammo should be available not on the same place as weapon, makes more challenging to get it.
Maybe more powerups?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2009, 08:15:22 AM »

Any news on this map?

Could i request considering substituting rampas (slides) with stairs? Q3 has certain physics which work/or not in certain conditions. A rampa is slower to pass than stairs. The distance where the 1st bottom one ends is quite crafty placed, which allows not to lose speed if you made and extra long strafe jump from the bridge and landed on the flat ground. You would lose speed if there were stairs eitherway.
A solution for this can be adding playerclip stairs on the ramps themselves.

And another request.
Can item placement be improved? It's better when there's no more than 1 weapon of same type per side (no 3 RL's and 1 in the center, 2 PG's).
Also ammo should be available not on the same place as weapon, makes more challenging to get it.
Maybe more powerups?
On both of them, I agree.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2009, 08:44:12 AM »

Any news on this map?
No, 2f9 is still the latest version by me. There is not much I can do about it without making it a completly different map but then I could as well start from scratch.

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2010, 09:08:37 AM »

What about bringing back grenade launcher ?
For variety's sake, if people complain they could replace it with what they like in forthcoming version Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2010, 09:13:07 PM »

I tested oasago2 in darkplaces with realtime lighting, noticed a ton of the performance died because of the torch models. This is probably old news though, but that's where the bulk of the map complexities lie in. The map can be further optimized by turning the 'background windows' into single brush alpha textures so there's less polys to draw, and perhaps making that flat anyway with glass you can't see through so you can get rid of decorative empty rooms. Vis can't always reduce this overdraw.

Should I make a quick and dirty low-poly replacement torch MD3?  It shouldn't affect lighting since lights can be cast through alpha holes in q3map/q3map2

I should have brought up the FPS issue earlier since I never actually tested this map on the slow computers. I should have.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2010, 03:08:34 AM »

The map can be further optimized by turning the 'background windows' into single brush alpha textures so there's less polys to draw.
This was done in 2f8

Should I make a quick and dirty low-poly replacement torch MD3?  It shouldn't affect lighting since lights can be cast through alpha holes in q3map/q3map2
Might be a good idea. In the 2f2 version, the touches was constructed of some patches. Comparing to the 2f2 version can tell how badly the touches are affecting the performance.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2011, 08:33:47 AM »

Took oasago2f9, applied lei's suggested torch changes. Also applied the hintbrushes from oasago2f9-hintbrushes there. Hopefully it runs faster now.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: