Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What Do I Have To Do To Setup A Non-Dedicated Server?  (Read 17722 times)
Joshgt2
Nub

Cakes 0

Shoop Me!

« on: July 22, 2007, 09:33:03 PM »

Hey guys, I just want to know something basic and simple that I am trying to go for and figure out. I have been on many sites to try and find something to use but nothing is working for me quite well. I want to setup a server on my computer, one that I don't use and would only have to hold 1-4 maybe 5 people MAX. I am not looking for the power of a dedicated server, since I don't have the money for one, but I want to be able to have something that my friends and I can get into to simply play around for awhile then head to something else. I tried to use http://www.lanage.ca/lanage_game_server_setup_guides_quake_3.php to help me out even though it was for Quake 3, but I setup it up using the addresses for Open Arena. But still my "server" does not show up on the game servers or on the one website that has them listed. Right now I just want to know how to get my server name on the list and making it run when I want to and not run when I don't want to. I can manage to find commands and what not for later but right now I just want to get this thing up and running. Is there anyone that can give me some tips or a easy-to-read website that can show me how to do this?

~Joshgt2

Linux
Nub

Cakes 0

Head Admin On European OA 0.7.0 (24/7) Server

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 02:53:44 AM »

Hi, use +dedicated (1 for lan / 2 for network ) when you run your server.

Do you have priv ip or router?

P.S Whats OS you using?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 02:55:40 AM by Linux » Logged

If you have problem with our server - fell free to mail me (sa-mp@szybki-serwer.pl)
Joshgt2
Nub

Cakes 0

Shoop Me!

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 06:57:54 AM »

I use a router, but I have already setup a port for Open Arena to play on. I have been able to have people play on my computer with me, but I would like to setup the server on another computer.

<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 04:10:12 PM »

hi.

1) what r u running on?? linux, win, mac os?Huh
2) if you created a dedicated server with a .bat and a .cfg file then, just do the same in another pc and it's done.
3) for aditional commands check this site: http://www.config-world.uklinux.net/q3/1.shtml    or   http://q3console.planetquake.gamespy.com/
4) the router, firewall and ports configurations are important and change in every machine, so, allowd each router to open valid ports for OA, get an static IP*, open the ports in the firewall, and I think that's all.

*the static IP depends of the router

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
Joshgt2
Nub

Cakes 0

Shoop Me!

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 07:41:03 PM »

hi.

1) what r u running on?? linux, win, mac os?Huh
2) if you created a dedicated server with a .bat and a .cfg file then, just do the same in another pc and it's done.
3) for aditional commands check this site: http://www.config-world.uklinux.net/q3/1.shtml    or   http://q3console.planetquake.gamespy.com/
4) the router, firewall and ports configurations are important and change in every machine, so, allowd each router to open valid ports for OA, get an static IP*, open the ports in the firewall, and I think that's all.

*the static IP depends of the router

Answers:
1) Windows XP: Media Center Edition
2) Didn't create a .bat or a .cfg at the moment. I did have a .cfg at one point but I didn't know what to do with it. Could I get a "sample" one to base mine from? Could have have the same for a .bat file as well?
3) I will check the site, lol
4) I already got my ports opened and setup as far as that goes

Linux
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 06:33:25 AM »

Click DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Setup_servers]Here

If you have problem with our server - fell free to mail me (sa-mp@szybki-serwer.pl)
Joshgt2
Nub

Cakes 0

Shoop Me!

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 02:36:27 PM »

Ok wait.... One quick question... The Wiki says "upload OA to your server: this can be done via ftp, ssh/scp or whatever you prefer". What do I have to upload to? I did the creating a shortcut and adding the commands at the end of it, but when I double click on the shortcut, the one with the commands on it, the consol simply loads everything but then doesn't go into the game. Does this mean that it is connected or something? I will provide screenshots when I can if anyone needs them...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 03:34:24 PM by Joshgt2 » Logged

<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 05:58:41 PM »

but when I double click on the shortcut, the one with the commands on it, the consol simply loads everything but then doesn't go into the game. Does this mean that it is connected or something? I will provide screenshots when I can if anyone needs them...

when the console is open your server is running, but you cant see the game, you have to open the OA and look for your server. That console is important (obviously) because you can control your server using commands.

now, I dont believe u must pay to get your server on the Multiplayer list... if thats true fromhell sould be millionaire... lol. Grin

Joshgt2
Nub

Cakes 0

Shoop Me!

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 08:19:18 PM »

I made the shortcut thing and added this command: "C:Open Arena\openarena-0.7.0\openarena.exe" +set dedicated 1 +set net_port 27960 +com_hunkMegs 50 +exec server_cft.cfg
I made a server_ctf.cfg file and added some commands that I copied and paste from this other post and saved the file. When I go to open the shortcut for my server, it goes though the whole thing but it says that it couldn't execute my server_ctf.cfg file at the bottom on it. Here are some screen shots of what I am talking about...
Here is my Open Arena folder...

A basic look at my not finished server_ctf.cfg file....

Console not going through...

Did I have some files in the wrong places...Huh

<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 11:28:21 PM »

-you have a mistake: the .cfg file must go into the <baseoa> folder.

-in the .cfg file (2 picture) u wrote: "seta net_ip.." and "seta net_port... I think its "set net_ip..." and "set net_port..."
am I right?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 07:28:55 PM by davismael » Logged

Joshgt2
Nub

Cakes 0

Shoop Me!

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 09:54:12 PM »

This thing still won't work... I put my "server" shortcut in the baseoa folder along with my server_ctf.cfg file and the original openarena.exe in the original folder it started in. I did a whole new .cfg file without those things you said about and still nothing... When I go through the part of opening the "server" shortcut it keeps saying that it couldn't execute the server_ctf.cfg file though... The only question I have left is... Do I have to be on a different account on my computer to do this? I think I saw somewhere that you can't be on the admin account when trying to run a server like this or something like that...

<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 08:23:58 AM »

yes you should try like Admin acount. and review how did you attach your .cfg file to the OA shortcut.
I suggest you to create a .bat file in the OA folder and the .cfg file in the <baseoa> folder, no shortcut required. just execute the .bat file and thats all.

review this
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 08:50:11 AM by davismael » Logged

Linux
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 02:18:30 AM »

Copy server_ctf.cfg to baseoa folder or Disc:/Documents And Settings/Login/Application data*/Openarena/Baseoa/

* Or whatever is named in your winshit ( the folder is hidden )

And run the server :]

beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 10:38:43 AM »

In your image posting, the line before it says it couldn't exec the config file tells you what the working directory is. Copy the config file there.
<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 11:55:06 AM »

lol..

Linux
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 03:15:12 PM »

What? Tongue

I talking about Application data folder...

<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 04:27:04 PM »

I was talking about "win-shit", doesnt matter.. Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: