Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Binaries for 0.8.x test thread  (Read 420876 times)
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #300 on: December 23, 2011, 11:35:32 AM »

Win seems fine, Linux seems fine and Mac also.
So no more changes - make the release imho.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #301 on: December 23, 2011, 12:24:34 PM »

Agreed.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #302 on: December 23, 2011, 05:12:42 PM »

yeah i've been waiting for days for a new winlinmac build with the bloom cascade default to 0

I should mention the winter storm missed.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #303 on: December 23, 2011, 06:07:41 PM »

Well, to be precise, there are still the glsl crashing the game (Hitch said he should fix it in these days, but I'm not him so I cannot say the exact date! -he mentioned "the end of the week", so I hope sunday evening we may have the fix-), and the question about bloom that I don't know why nobody posts his opinion (despite it being quite annoying, with the feature auto-disabled unless the user does a simple but non-intuitive tweaking).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:25:22 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #304 on: December 24, 2011, 07:44:10 AM »

http://files.poulsander.com/~poul19/public_files/oa/dev081/openarena-engine-bin-0.8.x-27.zip
http://files.poulsander.com/~poul19/public_files/oa/dev081/openarena-engine-source-0.8.x-27.tar.bz2

Now includes jackoverfull's Mac-files and r_bloom_cascaded defaults to 0.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #305 on: December 24, 2011, 08:12:19 AM »

building…
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #306 on: December 24, 2011, 08:21:12 AM »

Now includes jackoverfull's Mac-files
not all of them: vm_powerpc_asm.c is still unmodified.

I've upped the modified one with the binary for 26, here: http://www.jackoverfull.com/tmp/OAMac088r26.zip
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #307 on: December 24, 2011, 08:25:09 AM »

vm_powerpc_asm.c is still unmodified.
Oh, I just placed it in the root folder with the two other files.

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #308 on: December 24, 2011, 08:27:19 AM »

vm_powerpc_asm.c is still unmodified.
Oh, I just placed it in the root folder with the two other files.
Right, didn't notice it…

It should go in code/qcommon, tough.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #309 on: December 24, 2011, 08:33:41 AM »

Here we go: http://www.jackoverfull.com/tmp/OAMac088r27.zip

Feel free to unpack it and change the name to OpenArena.app if your going to ship the release with this build (the .app folder should be placed in the same folder containing baseoa, as if it was itself an executable), as long you're doing it on Linux. There shouldn't be problems with windows as well, but I'm not going to bet on that.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #310 on: December 24, 2011, 08:52:24 AM »

Now this is pressure releasing. Cheesy

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #311 on: December 24, 2011, 09:07:17 AM »

Hitch, I understand it's Christmas and all of us are very busy with real life... but please be quick with the glsl crash fix... because it seems they do not want to wait longer for 088 release.... Gasp!

Fromhell, what would be the problem with printing a red or yellow "Bloom requires 32 bit quality textures. Effect disabled. Please set r_texturebits 32 before enabling bloom." (or similar) console message when it auto-shutdowns bloom?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #312 on: December 24, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »

that fix is simple - not including those crashy glsl files you tested on. Who said they were going to be included in 088? not me. I'd only include the ones with the GPL headers for the basic, Free glsl support.

i'm not changing that bloom message

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #313 on: December 24, 2011, 10:11:10 AM »

About glsl: but then, what's the purpose of putting in a feature that would do nothing? The problem is not the single glsl program with errors (we can live happy also without it), it's the engine crashing if it cannot complie one of them! If I understood correctly, the alternative to creating glsl programs and using them via r_postprocess variable, is to somehow incorporate them directly inside shaders/maps? In that case, a single future shader/map may crash the game as well (well, maps can already crash the game in other ways, it's true), I suppose. Anyway, do as you think it's the right thing. IMHO, I'd prefer one or two more days and a fix... but it's your choice.

About (not) adding a new error message: is there some reason for your decision about it? I don't realize it. Undecided I can understood things as far as there is some reason explained. In this case, I'm really confused of why it would be so <difficult?/impractical?/fool?> to help users understand how to enable bloom. Of course, I will explain on the wiki what to do, but you know it's not a real solution: probably people will repeatedly ask here on the forum "why does bloom not work anymore?" instead of searching info on the wiki. The reason I focused with asking a "stable" bloom in the last month (ps: sorry for being annoying) it to help new players to have a good impression with the game.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 02:08:22 PM by Gig » Logged

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #314 on: December 24, 2011, 10:20:08 AM »

Now with vm_powerpc_asm.c in the correct place:
http://files.poulsander.com/~poul19/public_files/oa/dev081/openarena-engine-source-0.8.x-27b.tar.bz2

No new binaries because none of the released files are powerpc related.

Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #315 on: December 24, 2011, 10:39:34 AM »

hi
ill try to post few modifications by tomorrow.
the errors Gig reported are, as far I can see, due to ATI cards being less forgiving than nVidia when glsl program is made so any future glsl program will have to be tested on different cards before it is placed in public version of OA. So far the errors that caused crashes were due to missing or incorrect glsl programs - not to the implementation of the glsl support. (sure, a better error handling can be done)
0.88 can have the support - it should not interfere with the engine..
Having glsl support in this version of OA should provide a working ground for the next release that will hopefully have models or maps use the feature.
0.88 can also be released as-is as anyone who is going to use glsl programs when creating game contents could get the latest binaries from the svn.

Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #316 on: December 24, 2011, 01:28:35 PM »

a quick fix for the crashing is here attached. I changed the level of notification from ERROR to WARNING. Now when a glsl program is in error, a warning is printed to the log and execution continues.
A shading stage that has glsl keywords, that would specify a glsl program that fails compilation is now drawn using standard rendering pipeline. Hope this is OK like this?

edit: please dont use this file just yet.. i've checked different maps after posting and seems the tr_shader.c I've posted is not what I thought..
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 01:50:22 PM by Hitchhiker » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #317 on: December 24, 2011, 02:11:37 PM »

and execution continues.
Execution of game engine (ignoring/disabling the glsl program that caused the error, in practice using standard rendering) or of the glsl program after the error (continuing execution from the code line below the one that caused the error, with unpredictable results)?

Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #318 on: December 24, 2011, 03:43:16 PM »

hi,
my above edit was false alert as it seems.. after re-downloading OA and trying with original pk3 files it works well for me..

what happens in engine now is that if the glsl program fails to compile the shader stage is marked as non-glsl and is drawn using standard rendering (same as it was from beginning).
What was causing the crashes was the engine notifying about the glsl compilation error with ERROR command which stops the engine (it is an expected behavior). If a glsl program fails to compile it is not really a stopping issue. So one change I did was to change from ERROR to WARNING - now even if glsl program fails to compile the execution will continue. This is at loading time.
The second change is that the shader parsing will not stop, if glsl program fails, and the engine will be able to finish parsing the shader. So if the shader contains any non-glsl commands they will be parsed and drawing of the shaded surface will happen as if glsl keywords were not there.
A glsl program that fails compilation should never be called. I've added an extra check and the new files are here attached.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #319 on: December 24, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »

^!!!!^!!!!!!!!!!!^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that added and it should be the last engine build for 088 ever now. We won't make the 25th release though, i'll be busy

Merry xmas!!!

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #320 on: December 25, 2011, 03:12:53 AM »

Merry Christmas to everybody!!!
Yoo-oh-oh! (Santa's laughing) Smiley Smiley Smiley
Best wishes for happy life to everyone!

Fromhell, I don't know if you will include some of those glsl programs in the release, but I'd suggest to include at least one of them (maybe one easily recognizable, like "edges"?), to allow people to test if glsl works with their card.

PS: My friend, sorry for insisting, but I still don't understand the reason for not adding a new warning message in console, for bloom. I'd prefer avoiding people repeatedly reporting "bloom not working" on the forum... don't you think so?

PPS: I haven't checked yet if some of those glsl programs include GPL info and others not. I thought they were written by Hitch himself purposedly for OpenArena... maybe it's not so...

PPPS: Thank you again to everyone who collaborates with the project... and to Hitch, that worked on Christmas night!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 04:02:28 AM by Gig » Logged

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #321 on: December 25, 2011, 04:47:26 AM »

-28 with the Hitchhiker-files:
http://files.poulsander.com/~poul19/public_files/oa/dev081/openarena-engine-bin-0.8.x-28.zip
http://files.poulsander.com/~poul19/public_files/oa/dev081/openarena-engine-source-0.8.x-28.tar.bz2

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #322 on: December 25, 2011, 04:57:43 AM »

Building…Now or when I'm back, tomorrow.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #323 on: December 25, 2011, 06:30:15 AM »

A cake for Sago and another one for Jack were delivered.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #324 on: December 25, 2011, 06:45:16 AM »

... and one for Hitch (although I will not be able to test his fix today. I'm writing from phone).

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
  Print  

Jump to: