Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena v0.8.5  (Read 64645 times)
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 05:58:25 AM »

Kind of communication issue. Just a single topic does not catch my eye especially if there is a 0.82 and a 0.85 thread. If lei is wanting a quick launch of 0.85 (where is 0.82 release?) why not contact the sole contributers directly? There was no arguing for a new release for a very long time and now everything should be ready within a few days? Reading forums is painful if you have a limited amount of sparetime.
I perfectly agree.

Did anybody of you discuss about a quality check of new content? Is there a testing period of the new release or will it be the usual way?
Essentially, did anyone beside fromhell knew that a 0.8.5 release was planned for about now before this topic?
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »

Kind of communication issue. Just a single topic does not catch my eye especially if there is a 0.82 and a 0.85 thread. If lei is wanting a quick launch of 0.85 (where is 0.82 release?) why not contact the sole contributers directly?

The old SMF theme and the original has a news section in the top. The current one hasn't, but it could be used for displaying such news. I'm working on an SMF theme, it will have the news section. SMF can handle groups, and newsletters for groups, so a contributor group could come handy, maybe even a restricted category for them.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2009, 12:05:38 PM »

Also, we had 1 entire YEAR to do everything OA related.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
2A S| Clan
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2009, 08:52:48 PM »

why are you taking out models, add more. put more guns too. and add some other cool stuff. new menu plz Cheesy and yes logo, and intro make a new one Tongue oh..

we should a make a OA movie. with everyone one in oa. it will be a like a comedy-drama  thing! Tongue
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2009, 08:56:16 PM »

So..uh..where's the new release? I've been advertising it in servers :p

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2009, 12:35:02 PM »

I'm sorry that announcing a "quick patch" was an available idea. Should I revoke it?  The deadline was set so I don't suddenly stop and re-test the new changes thoroughly with new content coming in. New maps to the patch wasn't even on my mind originally. I'm striving for a comfortable small size here, the big 100mb+ commit to the SVN just for new maps and textures some months back isn't going to be the same in this patch.

Time is lacking for me, I can barely check my mail and auth new registrations here.
 Another time eater was the Windows shell. Do you like hard 20 second delays when you open a context menu in explorer, or even open a non-executable? I sure as hell don't and this greatly disrupts my workflow, a major demotivator. You could say 'switch to linux', but I don't like freezing from fglrx or using 60hz refresh rate on a CRT, or klumsy KDE4. Wine has a lot of problems with Paint Shop Pro and QuArK.

Fixing Ubuntu waxed my GRUB *AND* NTLDR, which lead to Windows reinstallation... I probably won't be able to make a Linux ZIP file with permissions, unless I Live CD my way out of it.

Deadlines aren't release dates. Release dates i'm not sure when. The 8th looks like a good date, but it could be possible for it to come earlier.

Between this patch I also have to raise a new site with major assistance from Udi (for the new themes).
One of the main killers of OA is the unattractive and static site, so this is an important step to change.
Another killer of progress? Me, being a bottleneck of progress. I do not even have the ability to give SVN write access if I wanted to, and i'm willing to have a second or even third maintainer of the tree.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:22:23 PM by leilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2009, 01:23:46 PM »

Fixing Ubuntu waxed my GRUB *AND* NTLDR, which lead to Windows reinstallation... I probably won't be able to make a Linux ZIP file with permissions, unless I Live CD my way out of it.

I don't understand which was the exact problem , but if you have already reinstalled windows and still have the ubuntu partition , you can recover the bootloader

- http://ubuntuguide.net/how-to-restore-grub-2-after-reinstalling-windows-xpvistawin7

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2009, 04:33:47 AM »

She can but if time is short you are not happy about unnecessary problems you have to fix before you can get your hands on more important stuff.

Blender keeps crashing with new kde4. Sad

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2009, 06:21:57 AM »

Murphy's laws strike in the worst moment. -.-

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2009, 09:14:25 AM »

She can but if time is short you are not happy about unnecessary problems you have to fix before you can get your hands on more important stuff.

The upgrade is always an operation that requires attention. The most rational thing to do is to create a VM in qemu , VirtualBox , VMware ... and try recreating the own working environment in which testing the upgrade. It's better spending time for this than after for recovering all the own work , at the risk of not beeing able to fully recover it.

Which version of blender ? Because if you are using the getdeb version , it's better apt-get-purging it and installing the version coming with the distribution.
Mr. D
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2009, 02:15:32 PM »

will an RC2 patch come soon?

(Sorry for my bad English...)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2009, 03:26:40 PM »

Yeah, when some of the bad bugs seen in the RC1 thread is fixed.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2009, 03:02:02 AM »

Which version of blender ? Because if you are using the getdeb version , it's better apt-get-purging it and installing the version coming with the distribution.

Regardless if it is the latest from blender.org or the one coming with my package system. It is because of faulty intel video card drivers.

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2009, 08:32:06 AM »

Regardless if it is the latest from blender.org or the one coming with my package system. It is because of faulty intel video card drivers.

Are you sure ? Because if drivers are faulty , all the 3D applications should not work properly. I think the problem is caused by the Xorg driver for Intel video card indeed. Anyway , did you already try to disable the kernel mode setting at boot replacing "splash" with "nosplash" and adding "915.modeset=0" to the grub boot commandline?
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2009, 09:10:14 AM »

splash? I never use bootsplash.
Actually blender does not hardcrashing but it gets displaying issues after a while and dmesg reports massive problems.

Anyway I do not depend on this machine to keep on although the blender texture painting is bugged on PPC architectures.

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2009, 09:45:09 AM »

splash? I never use bootsplash.
Actually blender does not hardcrashing but it gets displaying issues after a while and dmesg reports massive problems.

Which kind of problems ? Sigfault or kernel oops ?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: