Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: New map: blitzkrieg  (Read 83141 times)
boczeq
Nub

Cakes 2

« on: May 19, 2008, 12:55:43 PM »

Hello everyone.

I would like to present you map that i have developed recently.
I played q3 - cpma a lot a long time ago. I was very impresed by some maps (cpm1, cpm3) made by Jude, they were so playable, with so many tricks. An idea to create this map was always in my head, now finaly an idea is in blitzkrieg.pk3.

Blitzkrieg is a very simple map, with no special effects, that's because i'm an engineer not an artist. I'm sure it's not free of bugs. But what i'm also sure i that blitzkrieg is very very playable map, it's free of "camperplaces" and rooms that you never enter to. Those who like triks will not be disapointed.

Please take look. My request to take a look is especialy addresed to dmn_clown, as he seams to be local guru.
TRaK
Takes your "dying" game, and sticks non-Free content into it!
Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 02:56:29 PM »

Your pk3 doesn't work; the maps, scripts, levelshots, etc, folders must be in the root of the pk3 file, not in a subdirectory.

So, where your pk3 is currently

-blitzkrieg.pk3
--blitzkrieg
---maps
---scripts
---levelshots

Should be:

-blitzkrieg.pk3
--maps
--scripts
--levelshots

I looked at your map. Gameplay does look interesting, I'll have to try it out ingame. As you said, it is quite plain. Main thing I would recommend would be to avoid obvious repeating textures like that metal tile texture in the upper portions of the map.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 03:04:34 PM by TRaK » Logged

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 05:31:27 AM »

Wow what a nice arena styled map. I gave it a run against bots and I fell in love with the gameplay. That's exactly how maps should feel when playing FFA. I'm not sure if I discovered all the tricks but what I found was enlightening.
I like the idea of spawning with plasma gun or rocketlauncher. In the beginning I had the feeling of too many items/weapons but finally I think it's okay. The area next to Red Armor and Railgun is highly frequented (by bots at least). Maybe placing the Lightning Gun somewhere else or remove one of the Rocketlaunchers... but I'm not sure. Maybe weapon balance is perfect.

Now the textures: crap. Sad
You're using the same textures which were changed from lowresolution great looking into high resolution fucked off looking by fromhell when releasing 0.76 and several maps suffer from this. As TRaK said use this checker metal texture only for trims and stairs. Add more details and features and try to stay to a 'themed' layout. I know it's hard because OA lacks texture artists so mappers have to do their own which can be quiet boring and time consuming.

Great work!

[EDIT:] I forgot to mention the lightning could be a bit brighter in broad areas and your teleporters should be more than just a rectangle in the wall. Wink
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 12:53:09 PM by cosmo » Logged

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Fitacus
Lesser Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 02:55:20 PM »

Any screenshots?

"The things you own, they end up owning you."
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »

Very impressive gameplay. I don't normally like 1 on 1 maps (and i consider this a 1 on 1 map), I also have a dislike for teleporters (mostly two way teleporters but still). However I really liked the map with a lot of z-axis movement without placing all action on the lower parts.

I don't consider the texturing especially bad not that I care that much as long as it is not directly ugly. Yes there was some repeating metal but it was only the teleports and jumppads that I thought was undertextured.

I thought that the simple texturing fitted the simple architecture very well and still mixed some clear colors.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 06:11:28 AM »

i played a short game versus a bot and had a lot of fun. as others have mentioned the textures could need some variation. jumppads could need a texture that tells "hey, jump here" and imo the teleporter texture should move around or something.

i don't know if i was unable to jump high enough, but i had to plasmaclimb to get one power-up, can't remember now which one.

also i played it as tourney and it didn't appear to have a fraglimit.

very nice map, could be great with some adjustments!

well done!
boczeq
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 06:20:49 PM »

Update:

TRaK:
New pk3 (attached) works fine.

cosmo:
I don't like this textures very much too, but I can't make better.
The last guys I'm making map for are bots, if they to offen go to Red Armor and Railgun area that means there is something wrong with them, not with map.
Insuficient light problem is fixed.
Teleporter is no longer only rectangle in the wall.

pulchr:
Jumppads now have texture that may be interpreted as "hey, jump here".

Fitacus:
There will be no screenshots, please launch game to see the whole map.

Thanks to all for your opinions. I'm looking forvard for more.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 08:58:17 PM »

My request to take a look is especialy addresed to dmn_clown, as he seams to be local guru.
don't count on that though, he's been absent for quite some time.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 03:36:30 AM »

boczeq, are you going to release that map under GPL? If yes maybe it's possible to do some teamwork to polish the optics a bit. As sago said simple textures can add to the feeling of the map but it should be 'themed'. At the moment it feels a bit shuffled. (I haven't test the second version yet)
Bots are stupid but a mapper can influence them by adding weighted bot entities. Your map doesn't have structures bots cannot handle just have them wander other areas as well. Wink

Btw: Any reason why it has a German name? Cheesy

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 11:34:05 AM »

"This level may be electronically distributed only at NO CHARGE to the recipient in its current state, MUST include this .txt file, and may NOT be modified IN ANY WAY. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IS THIS LEVEL TO BE DISTRIBUTED ON CD-ROM WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION."

i guess this README.TXT rules out the GPL question cosmo had

edit: very fun map, just had another go at it Wink
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 11:50:16 AM by pulchr » Logged
boczeq
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 08:16:09 AM »

boczeq, are you going to release that map under GPL?
Yes. The newest version with GPL license is in the attachment.
I have included .map file too.

Any reason why it has a German name?
Word "blitzkrieg" comes from German but now it can be considered as international. In my opinion it's perfect name for map on whith there are 40+ frags in 10 min 1 on 1 game.

I have some suggestions for any one who wants to upgrade blitzkrieg.
When I was in high school I have played q3 for thousands of hours, I think I understand this game. Room arrangement and item placement came from this unrerstanding and can be considered as final.
Lithtning, textures, and bots sux. If any one can do something to fix it, please do it.
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 11:15:37 AM »

Any screenshots?
in the pk3

imike24
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 02:53:25 AM »

cool.

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 03:04:56 AM »

@imike24
Thanks for the spam

I missed that map topic, may08, is it playable / final / comes with OA ? Tongue

Todo: Walk the cat.
boczeq
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 06:34:34 AM »

Hello everyone,

I have retextured my map and changed some details.
New version is attached.

Here are the screenshots:
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs431&d=08390&f=1945.jpg
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs431&d=08390&f=2843.jpg
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs431&d=08390&f=3742.jpg
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs431&d=08390&f=4720.jpg

Please take look. I'm waiting for your comments.

Best regards,
boczeq
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 08:07:53 AM »

Hm , I didn't like the textures on the screens and wanted to check out how it looks in-game.

I put the pk3 in .openarena/baseoa/ and used /map blitzkrieg

But I get "Can't find map maps/blitzkrieg.bsp"

PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 08:10:17 AM »

Same here. I tried opening the pk3 in PakScape but it seems to be corrupted.

I'm excited to test! Evil

epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 08:23:27 AM »

it is better than taking lsd
boczeq
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 01:47:31 PM »

Hello,

Thanks for answers. I fixed pk3 file.
I have also recorded demo with some tricks that can be performed on my map. I will buy a beer every one who manages to repeat those tricks (exactly as on my demo) and posts his demo in 24h form now.

Best regards,
boczeq
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »

Just to mention : I cant play your demo, baseoa/baseq3 mismatch, didn't investigate why ... other demos do work.

Todo: Walk the cat.
boczeq
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 03:02:28 PM »

Hello,

I have put the demo in baseoa/demos directory. Everything works fine on my computer. I have the pure openarena-0.8.0 instaled.

Best regards,
boczeq
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 02:51:37 PM »

I put it in baseoa/demos and can't play it too.

PS: the map looks wierdly textured but plays pretty sweet!

PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 03:04:44 PM »

I like it. It's pretty great for 1v1, otherwise not so sure.

I only found a few tricks, pretty much the gap over the broken floor. Unless other tricks count as rocket jumping...

boczeq
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 12:32:25 PM »

Hello,

This should solve all demo problems. I have added it to YouTube. The quality is very poor but this is YouTube's fault. It starts from jump pad. Here is the link.

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=3v-Aiag4bj4

The new contest begins now. Every one who manages to repeat those tricks (exactly as on my demo) and posts his demo in 24h form now will get a beer.

Best regards,
boczeq

Update 03.10.2008

Hello,

No one has won the contest.
I know that some of you don't like how my map is textured. I have to admit that I hate texturing maps and I have no will of retexturing it. Sorry.
I will put blitzkrieg in Development\SVN Commits thread. We will see what happens.
Thanks for all comments.

Best regards,
boczeq
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 01:39:04 PM by boczeq » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 04:53:38 PM »

Maybe you can download the .map files at the SVN and take a look on how they're texturized, and later you can try if "this" ceiling and "this" wall(s) and "this" floor matches and so on. That's how I've learned to texturize my maps.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: