Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: map: Schism (beta 2)  (Read 28014 times)
TRaK
Takes your "dying" game, and sticks non-Free content into it!
Nub

Cakes -2

« on: May 23, 2008, 01:50:19 AM »

edit: beta 2 released.

Hey everyone Smiley

This is a map I started as a testing ground for my gpl'ed Filth texture pack. However, I think it has evolved into a fairly decent ffa/dm map.

Download: Here (beta 2)
Enjoy Smiley

Screenshots:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 10:43:37 AM by TRaK » Logged

TRaK
Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »

Beta 2 released.

Changes:
- Item placement changed around a bunch. Added more health items and moved a few weapons.
- Clipped off a spot where you could get stuck.
- Clipping to facilitate movement.

Download link in first post.

Please let me know what you think of the map Smiley
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 10:47:22 AM by TRaK » Logged

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 04:48:43 AM »

I gave it a quick run against bots (I could put it on a testmap server later).

I like the overall layout a lot although some of your hallways could have a little bit more details. It's a bit odd to see so much brickwork in a Q3 environment but it fits great into the theme of your map.

The gameplay feels like a bit too centered onto the lower place. Maybe it's just the bots but most frags are happening at the lower central place. I don't like some of the item placement because it's too easy to get the Quad when there's a Megahealth just on the way. The lack of ammo items everywhere 'cept the top level is a bit strange because I was trying to get the dropped weapon my last foe used often. So often it's a rocket/lightning/shotgun battle in the lower pit ended by somebody popping granades in. Wink

There is a problem on TDM games which quits OA with an error of no spawn points.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
TRaK
Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 08:21:24 AM »

I like the overall layout a lot although some of your hallways could have a little bit more details. It's a bit odd to see so much brickwork in a Q3 environment but it fits great into the theme of your map.

Yeah the hallways near the elevator will definitely be more detailed in the final version. I left them fairly plain because I'm currently not overly happy with that area because it seems to take too long to get to the top.

The gameplay feels like a bit too centered onto the lower place. Maybe it's just the bots but most frags are happening at the lower central place. I don't like some of the item placement because it's too easy to get the Quad when there's a Megahealth just on the way. The lack of ammo items everywhere 'cept the top level is a bit strange because I was trying to get the dropped weapon my last foe used often. So often it's a rocket/lightning/shotgun battle in the lower pit ended by somebody popping granades in.

I had a bit of trouble with item placement, mostly because I have pretty much no experience playing q3/oa at a serious level.  The ammo, megahealth, and rail were put on the top level in order to encourage players to use the top area more. I do agree with what you said, though, the lack of ammo is annoying and the megahealth should be moved, removed, or replaced with a largehealth.

The battle does seem to focus on the bottom level, but I'm pretty much out of ideas on how to fix this short of spamming all the good items at the top Wink

As for the TDM problem, will fix.

whitewolf
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 01:50:39 AM »

From the screenshots, the map looks great visually. I'm loving the alpha shadowing, and the colour scheme. I think OA needs more eye candy maps like this.
TRaK
Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 10:34:39 AM »

Thank you whitewolf, making an aesthetically pleasing map for OA was one of my main objectives with this map. Glad you like it Smiley

As a side note, the map is 100% gpl. All the textures were made by me and are gpl, and the .map file is included in the pk3.
.psd sources for the textures are available here: http://www.mercenariesguild.net/trak/files/filth-source.zip
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 10:42:59 AM by TRaK » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 11:23:40 AM »

Cool Smiley
I
Did you know Lunaran's maps are GPL'd? I'd retexture them with the new and available textures, but I can't do it because:
- I have poor taste in texture selection
- i'm only familiar with QuArK, which  saves broken .map files Gtkradiant can not read

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 12:51:58 PM »

very fun map!
i created a skirmish with 3 bots and a fraglimit of 100 and started gibbing.

not much to say - just a couple of small thoughts:

- the bots very rarely picked up the red armour, they just walked right by it (maybe weight it or something so they pick it up?).
- a little overkill with 3x 25 healths on the middle level, 2 would be enough i think. there's plenty of health on the level anyway.
- imo the teleporter should have a texture that makes it stand out more, make it move and shine or something.
- maybe increase the speed of the lift. i think it was a little slow.

well done!

edit: bots can't get the quad unless they rocketjump, correct?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 12:54:11 PM by pulchr » Logged
TRaK
Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 06:44:37 PM »

- the bots very rarely picked up the red armour, they just walked right by it (maybe weight it or something so they pick it up?).
- a little overkill with 3x 25 healths on the middle level, 2 would be enough i think. there's plenty of health on the level anyway.
- maybe increase the speed of the lift. i think it was a little slow.

Duly noted, will fix Smiley

- imo the teleporter should have a texture that makes it stand out more, make it move and shine or something.

The texture already does move. At least, it does on my end. Unless you're saying that it should be more obvious than it is currently?

edit: bots can't get the quad unless they rocketjump, correct?

That's right. The quad is currently pretty much inaccessible to bots.

Thanks for the feedback Smiley

fromhell, I might try a retexture of lunaran's maps at some point. Right now I have some other projects on the go, but after that I might. Is there a particular one that would be better to do than others?

kernel panic
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 05:07:42 AM »

fromhell, I might try a retexture of lunaran's maps at some point. Right now I have some other projects on the go, but after that I might. Is there a particular one that would be better to do than others?

Yes, personally I think lun3DM4 is an excellent map. It runs sometimes in RN-tourney (when players oddly enough get fed up of Aggressor) and it rocks.
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 11:34:22 PM »

Are you the person responsible for retexturing Kaos2? :p

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 11:59:04 PM »

Are you the person responsible for retexturing Kaos2? :p
and oa_rpg3dm2
but my infamous examples of retexturing are q3dm6ish and dm4ish, but that's only because there were very very few textures at the time (0.2.0). A retexture of the same maps today would make them look rather rich.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 11:43:58 PM »

well oa_rpg3dm2 I've never had an issue with..actually as far as I can recall it's always looked the way it does now?
I'd have to say my only real complaint would be Kaos2. Don't be so hard on yourself. :p

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 02:07:54 PM »

There is a problem on TDM games which quits OA with an error of no spawn points.

It is caused by 'notteam' being set to 1 on all deathmatch spawnpoints. This breaks all team games. It also breaks LMS but it is my fault since LMS should ignore 'notteam'.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 03:52:31 PM »

It reminds me to Unreal Tournament's DM-Shrapnel][ map for some reason.
Good map, great job. ^^

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 03:16:35 PM »

New link, not sure if it's the latest version:

http://www.onykage.com/files/armageddonman/rftvh/schism-b2.pk3

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 03:57:19 PM »

What's the status on this map? The layout and gameplay is nice, but it was pulled because of the issue with the CG Textures. It could be retextured and brought back into the default map pool, but I don't know how fromhell or TRaK would feel about it.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 04:08:54 PM »

The source of the map is still in the SVN.

This is what he replied, when I intended to do that:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2429.msg19028#msg19028

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 01:35:08 PM »

Map now available in MapRaider:

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=5589

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: