Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 maps in 1 topic: oa_reptctf3/11 and am_thornish  (Read 104906 times)
MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2009, 11:38:02 PM »

lol @ comments and raiting of reptctf3 and reptctf11 on lvlworld.
I hope your maps are a lot better, didn't try them yet though.
Original ones just were so bad that their place in /dev/null.
reptctf11 was a perfect map for 24h MG camping Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:00:42 AM by MIOW » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2009, 01:20:51 PM »

We were chatting last saturday with 6R about oa_reptctf3, so there're a lot of changes to this map.

In the middle area:
- The center is now a big area. It has new entrances to bases.
- New upper paths which connects both areas and the center.
- Center area: a wide area with 4 jumppads which guide to the upper passages.
- Added banners to passages to lower base-camping.

In bases:
- Removed all the diagonal jumppads. Now there're only two which goes from base floor to flag base.
- Balcony lowered.
- Added three new upper entrances, two bridges guide to the lateral ones.
- Added Shotgun at the Railgun spot, now both Railguns are in the middle area.
- Haste replaced by a team of Regeneration and Invulnerability(*). This team will be replaced by neutral objectives on 1FCTF and Harvester.
- Added two Ammo Regens per base, along with the other 6 runes already there. (2xScout, 2xGuard and 2xDoubler) for a total of 8 runes.

Around the level:
- Added more detail and arrows guiding to bases.
- Ammo & health redistribution.

I'll be uploading the map and screenshots later.

(*) The Invulnerability holdable hasn't any model nor effect done.

EDIT: Three new changes added.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 02:40:41 PM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2009, 03:26:57 PM »

Map uploaded, you know where to find the screenies and linkie. Cheesy

Enjoy! ^^

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
feidi
Nub

Cakes 13

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2009, 04:54:16 PM »

oa_reptctf3 is improving very nicely! it's going to be a nice fast map.

6lue Rose .:. http://6r-clan.org .:. irc://irc.freenode.net/6r
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2009, 12:38:52 PM »

am-thornish:
This map is great! BFG + Flight ...

+ RJ over mines + RG = FUN
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2009, 03:32:02 PM »

oa_dm5 was a enough playable/enjoyable map when it had that grey textures theme ...

the retextured version looks better , has a faster water rendering ( or something like that ) but since it became darker , it was never been playable as before. And so it's the latest one ( IMHO )

EDIT : little OT ... Can we have a single place from where downloading the latest version of the alpha/beta maps without having to go back and forth in the forum to find them ?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2009, 05:32:57 PM »

I was going to make a thread with the links to most of the maps. Some maps don't have a topic yet, so they have to be created. :/

Maybe if that list can be attached to the Wiki...

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2009, 10:33:35 AM »

some thoughts on am-thornish.
  • why is it called AM-thornish instead of CTF_thornish? kind of misleading
  • it is just a single room. Sad
  • whats about making a spacemap of it?
  • too many bouncepad which are always in my way. Wink
  • increase the fun by adding more strategies instead of simple strafejumping as best way to capture
  • screenshots look good. Cheesy

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2009, 10:43:30 AM »

• why is it called AM-thornish instead of CTF_thornish? kind of misleading
I (almost) always put am_ before of my maps. Like many mappers. The only exceptions were oa_rept* and the retouches to the 0.8.1 maps.

• it is just a single room. Sad
Yep, that's the idea.

• whats about making a spacemap of it?
I don't think so.

• too many bouncepad which are always in my way. Wink
The jumppads are in the bases, maybe I'll get rid of the ones leading to RA, since it's possible to get there by jumping in the pillar bases.

• increase the fun by adding more strategies instead of simple strafejumping as best way to capture
This map wasn't thought as a competitive map, just lazy fun. (Some call it relax) I don't think on it as being played in tournaments unlike what I wanted about other maps. (Underworks for instance)

• screenshots look good. Cheesy
Thanks. ^^ I always take my screenshots at max detail.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2009, 07:52:11 PM »

am_thornish and oa_dm1v2 received final versions. (By now)

am_thornish:
- Deleted jumppads going to RA area. You can use the pillars anyway.
- Improved geometry.

oa_dm1v2:
- Fixed items not showing up on SP.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2009, 10:27:35 PM »

Many, TOO MANY changes, on oa_reptctf11:

* The center area is enclosed. Now there's no way to see bases facing each other.
* Replaced Railgun with Prox (KEEP READING!!!) This Prox has 30 sec. of respawn and no ammo on the level. That should limit the weapon. However, I'm afraid that with the following point, this limit would be broken. :/
* Added Ammo Regen & Guard, 1 per base. Also, there's a neutral Doubler in the middle area.
* Moved Lightning to the upper floor.
* Moved Nailgun ammo to the center area.
* Added Plasma + ammo in bases.
* Many minor changes, like arrows pointing to the bases.

Link and screenies are in the first post. ^^

EDIT: a3v2, I've ended replacing the Ammo Regens for another Guard.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:50:09 PM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2009, 10:22:08 AM »

THX!
Can't wait to play them online.

btw: we should talk about a redesign of oa_bases7 ;-)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2009, 10:29:51 AM »

On its respective topic. Wink

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1977.0

Mr. D
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2009, 10:41:56 AM »

At the beginning I don't really like oa_reptctf11...but now I see good changes and more things.
I approve it  XD

(Sorry for my bad English...)
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2009, 12:28:29 PM »

Ohhh.
You remember! Nice!
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2009, 02:55:14 PM »

Uploading... screenshots later.

Changes to oa_reptctf11:
- Fixed a wrongly-placed blue spawnpoint (a blue one on the red base)
- Added another Rocket Launcher per base. Also, replaced the Doubler by a Lightning Gun in the middle area.
- Opened another one-way entrance, above the lower entrances to the middle area. Can be rocket-jumped, tho, as an exit.
- Replaced Nail ammo by Rocket ammo.
- Teamed-up Invisibility with a Battle Suit in the middle zone.
- Domination: moved some player_starts to the bases.
- Many minor changes like texture alignment fixing.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2009, 03:02:31 PM »

Uploaded, enjoy...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2011, 05:45:59 PM »

New version of oa_reptctf11. Link and screens in the first post, as usual.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2011, 07:57:17 PM »

reptctf11 b2 ready to go. Link in the first post:

- Separate versions: normal and TA. The normal one removes Guard and replaces ProxLaunchers with Railguns and Nailguns with Shotguns.
- Fixed the arrows.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2011, 01:29:48 PM »

Just so you know, these two past weeks I redid from scratch (for real Cheesy) oa_reptctf3. The reason is that the past versions of the map had some bad and unoptimal brushwork, which didn't allowed quick modifications. I wanted to take care of that, so I've ended remaking the map.

The layout and weapon/item placement remained almost intact, with some exceptions, such as the bridges being deleted.

As with the other maps I've worked, there will be two versions: normal and TA. The TA version will have Nailgun (replacing Shotgun) Chaingun (replacing Lightning Gun) Runes and Kamikaze. (replacing Battle Suit)

Plus, it looks very different. I'm using the egyptsoc texture pack from Nexuiz for that end.

Screenshots and download link (33 MB, you're advised) in the first post, as always.

VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2011, 08:56:10 PM »

[new oa_reptctf3]

seems a lot better than the original: more thoughtful shapes, more routes, less garish texs.

btw ur decals r z-fighting, might want to use actual _decal projection (works in netradiant at least, maybe gtkr). specifically:

note about using _decal entities: the target entity should be on the opposite side of the face(es) of the brush(es) onto which you want to have the decal projected. because this entity can cause bsp leaks, if it's outside your map, put a little box of caulk around it.

to clarify, it should sit outside the opposite side of the brush in non-brush-occupied space.

— VortexHU —
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2011, 08:57:26 PM »

[oops, bad post]

— VortexHU —
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2011, 09:50:08 PM »

It's strange, because I can see those well in normal settings, as the screenshots show.

VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2011, 12:00:22 AM »

It's strange, because I can see those well in normal settings, as the screenshots show.

it may be hardware- or OS-specific. i wish i could get good results w/that method. :p

— VortexHU —
PigCell
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2011, 05:29:14 AM »

I really like the new version of oa_reptctf3, the general layout and flag distance seem very promising and the new texture theme looks cool, too.

Here's a bit of food for thought:
- The flag rooms seem very wide, even more so because they extend beyond the outer exits - which is not a bad thing in itself. It's just that it messes with my impression of scale a bit. I know the jumpads are supposed to force the player to make a bit of a detour and then run all the way to the flag while being exposed. It's just that it feels (take that with a grain of salt) as if the centre part of the map provides nice battles while the open flag rooms are dominated by shaft/rail. This might be fixed with  joining the hallways with the flag room in a semi-circle rather than all from one side. That way, it would still render the outer routes longer (like the jumpad detour), but it might break some of the long lines of sight. Pillars and the like might also do the trick. Then again, I don't know to what extend you're willing to entertain ideas for significant structural changes.

- Battle suit: that's an evil item in CTF. I guess the idea is to hard-counter a deadlock, but someone with a rocket launcher and a suit is virtually unstoppable in such an open map. I'm not saying it's an automatic cap, but compared to haste or quad it comes pretty close to one.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: