Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena on id Tech 4  (Read 53562 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 01:45:34 PM »

I thought about submitting OA to Greenlight when it started (and before the $100 charity fee requirement), but it would've lead to bad implications like selling out, adding DRM, or ditching linux. So I didn't.  Plus, one of my valve fanboy friends advised me not to for the sake of reputation since trainwrecks on greenlight are easy pickings.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
testman
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »

Times have changed.

Steam is stable on Linux, some open source games seem to be avaliable on Steam and Greenlight has somewhat less shovelware.

Crowdfounding was quite effective was for some project to get resources and publicity.

ID Tech 4 is 10 years old engine now.

Is there really no interest for OpenArena (2) with better physics and graphics?

Will I have to make "Openarena on ID Tech 5" thread when ID Tech 6 comes out?

(AFAIK, ID Tech n-1 goes open source when ID Tech n comes out)

[img=http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/at2/2009/9/30/1bb22d83a5a6e7e51db43b116310113e_18427.jpg][/img]
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 05:28:26 PM »

id Tech 4 = no gameplay scripts included = no compatiblity promise = no OA. 

also md5 sucks

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 05:30:56 PM »

Changing the engine DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/NOTTODO]goes directly against the development rules of OpenArena. It implies breaking compatibility with Q3/OA custom assets (which are many) and it rises up the requirement line, among other issues. And if gaming development history has shown something is that engine switching has more cons than pros (see: Duke Nukem Forever).

People don't seem to understand what's the real purpose of OpenArena. In many cases, they don't even want to. Which is sad, because that's the main source of a lot of dramas.

So, the short answer is no.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »

Furthermore engine switching is never a good idea.   Why tear all progress apart just for some butchered non-GLSL vendor-specific lighting models and model formats with poor pipelines and support?  It's far less related to id Tech 3 than id Tech 3 is to id Tech 2.  It's not something OA "needs" either.  This is always an 'easier said than done' kind of thing.

Not to mention the requirement for large amounts of human resources willing to make high poly models with normal maps under the GPL.

There will also never be an id Tech 5-based OA as well.  I am not interested in releasing any multigigabyte-sized games.  I don't even want OA to exceed a few hundred megabytes either.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:38:46 PM by fromhell » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 07:42:31 PM »

Also, testman, you talk about physics, and one of the development objectives of OA is to keep the Q3 physics (vital for the gameplay), something which can only be truly done by keeping OA running under the IdTech3.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
testman
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 07:23:31 AM »

Maybe I did not make (2) bold and big enough.

Fine then I will make my own OpenArena with blackjack and hookers

No, seriously, I never meant that all the work that was put into OpenArena would be thrown away.

I just think that now that SteamOS is going to be a thing, one of thing that could attract people could be nice looking free deathmatch.

Only thing at the moment that offers some kind of deathmatch on Steam on Linux is HL2: Deathmatch, that is not exactly free-to-play.

Team Fortress 2 is team based only, I have not found anything like deathmatch in it.

So what I am saying is that there is still space in upcoming Linux gaming market for deathmatch games, and something with OpenArena-like gameplay and Quake 4 graphics would be very good filler for that space.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »

Maybe I did not make (2) bold and big enough.

Fine then I will make my own OpenArena with blackjack and hookers

No, seriously, I never meant that all the work that was put into OpenArena would be thrown away.

I just think that now that SteamOS is going to be a thing, one of thing that could attract people could be nice looking free deathmatch.

Only thing at the moment that offers some kind of deathmatch on Steam on Linux is HL2: Deathmatch, that is not exactly free-to-play.

Team Fortress 2 is team based only, I have not found anything like deathmatch in it.

So what I am saying is that there is still space in upcoming Linux gaming market for deathmatch games, and something with OpenArena-like gameplay and Quake 4 graphics would be very good filler for that space.

Any Cube Engine 2 game (Sauerbraten, Red Eclipse, Assault Cube and Tesseract) is aiming for Deathmatch and modes like CTF or other teambased modes (like capture-the-base) while all being free (to play and use the source code).

I'm quite sure none of them is on Steam for several reasons.

There already is an Open Arena 3 in the make so there probably won't be a hop over to ID Tech 4 Engine.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:46:15 PM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
asmanel
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2014, 03:05:12 PM »

According to what I found, the Steam EULA isn't compatible with free software.

Suicizer, Assault Cube uses the Cube Engine, not the Cube 2 Engine (even if there is at least one AC mod, Assault Cube 2, that use the Cube 2 Engine instead), and Tesseract isn't a game, it's a fork of the Cube 2 Engine.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »

O RLY?

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2014, 10:33:43 PM »

According to what I found, the Steam EULA isn't compatible with free software.

Suicizer, Assault Cube uses the Cube Engine, not the Cube 2 Engine (even if there is at least one AC mod, Assault Cube 2, that use the Cube 2 Engine instead), and Tesseract isn't a game, it's a fork of the Cube 2 Engine.

Tesseract may be a fork, but it's a game as well. I forgot to mention; Revelade Revolution has announced to be stable also.
True, Assault Cube isn't a game running Cube Engine 2, but I don't think it matters to testman as he wants a free deathmatch oriented game.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: