Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Manual  (Read 95060 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2010, 02:38:20 PM »

Let's continue checking the guide...
- HELPCMD2 section: does not end with ^7, like the others
- HELPG: I suggest "^3For speed change use g_speed (default 320), gravity g_gravity (default 800), framerate independent physics on is pmove_fixed 1 and off is that variable to 0.^7"
- HELPCOL: it does not say that you have to use \name command to change name, and that you can still use black when talking. There are extra "^" before the 8 numbers (it should be ^ alien not ^ ^ Cool. The help section should end with ^7 like the others, I suppose.

And please, add some version number to that guide! Smiley

- The first one is correcly fixed.
- In the second, you did not specified that to come back to original values you have to use 320 and 800,
- In the third, there are still the extra "^"...
- Thank you for the version number... and for the thank.. :-)

More...
I see that there is still cg_drawgun 1 as an example of a boolean value... why don't use something else for that example? For example, cg_forcemodel, or cg_drawfps...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2010, 08:35:17 AM »

Since when you only need one ^ then, it doesn't work for me..

- In the second, you did not specified that to come back to original values you have to use 320 and 800,
I'm quite sure I pointed out somewhere that it'll tell you the default by just entering the variable name without anything behind it, but I have added it.

I see that there is still cg_drawgun 1 as an example of a boolean value... why don't use something else for that example? For example, cg_forcemodel, or cg_drawfps...
Because it is a boolean lol.. but fixed anyway.

- Thank you for the version number... and for the thank.. :-)
Well ofcourse, you made some long posts and lots of suggestions and I appreciate that so this is the least i can do Smiley

http://easy-upload.nl/f/7W1IaRBG
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2010, 05:33:44 AM »

- In HELP section: "How can I help you?"... "I", not "i" (repeated various times)...

- In HELP section: there are some "type HELPVAR, type HELPGFX" that maybe could be better with /: "type /HELPVAR, type /HELPGFX"?

- In HELP section: please add a "like" before "CTF/DM/insta", as I suggested before

- In HELPCMD section: is it possible to add "/bindlist to see all key bindings, /unbind KEY to remove an association."?

- In HELPBTN section. Why don't add "You can find and use these names when working with key bindings. Type /HELPCMD for more info about key association."?

- In the HELPGUIDE section you could add "Type HELPABOUT for version information.", or something similar...

- In the HELPCOL section: I suggest to modify to "You can make colors in your name and in your text messages with ^ and then a number..."

I still don't understand... what happens to you if your HELPCOL says "For black (possible in names only BEFORE 085), use ^ 0 (without spaces) or ^ 8"? What does not work? I will try it with 0.8.1, but in 0.8.5 I don't understand the problem... :-/
PS: Maybe "0.8.5" would be more clear than "085"...

UPDATE: Maybe it is better to remove the sentence about the black color banned since 0.8.5: in the latest beta (046), they enabled black again, if you have at least a character of another color.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:16:16 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2010, 05:25:36 AM »

UPDATE: Maybe it is better to remove the sentence about the black color banned since 0.8.5: in the latest beta (046), they enabled black again, if you have at least a character of another color.
So that means black color is coming back?!!!!!!

I put the comments after //.
- In HELP section: "How can I help you?"... "I", not "i" (repeated various times)... //fixed

- In HELP section: there are some "type HELPVAR, type HELPGFX" that maybe could be better with /: "type /HELPVAR, type /HELPGFX"? //just tried putting a / before all, but after about 3/4th of the var it gets a second line in notepad which means it's over the maximum allowed 1026 characters

- In HELP section: please add a "like" before "CTF/DM/insta", as I suggested before //added

- In HELPCMD section: is it possible to add "/bindlist to see all key bindings, /unbind KEY to remove an association."? //oh didn't know about bindlist, and unbind is a good idea. Added

- In HELPBTN section. Why don't add "You can find and use these names when working with key bindings. Type /HELPCMD for more info about key association."? //added

- In the HELPGUIDE section you could add "Type HELPABOUT for version information.", or something similar... //added

- In the HELPCOL section: I suggest to modify to "You can make colors in your name and in your text messages with ^ and then a number..." //done

I still don't understand... what happens to you if your HELPCOL says "For black (possible in names only BEFORE 085), use ^ 0 (without spaces) or ^ 8"? What does not work? I will try it with 0.8.1, but in 0.8.5 I don't understand the problem... :-/ //I didn't try in 085 but in 081 it doesn't work and as helpabout says it's written for 081. Changed it to 'in OA0.8.5 it's not possible in names' though

edit: ups forgotta upload lol, http://easy-upload.nl/f/hbGdWGbb that should be the right one (can't check i'm in a hurry for a job interview =) )
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 02:41:43 AM by RMF » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2010, 12:09:09 PM »

Ooops, I missed to notice your last post. I have no time to test it now, but don't worry! Smiley

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2010, 04:00:08 AM »

- HELPFILE section: Windows Vista with the "V", not the "v" (I think Vista is a bad S.O., but its name is still with the uppercase "V") Smiley

For HELPCOL, I suggest to write simply this:
set HELPCOL "^3You can make colors in your name or text with ^ and then a number from 0 to 7. so ^ and then one of these ^00^11^22^33^44^55^66^77.^3 Btw for the name change you can use /name <TheNameYouLike> ^7"

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2010, 08:44:19 AM »

hmm I disagree for the colors. I hate undocumented functions and options, rather less clear for newbs (they'll get it in the end if they just try some things, that's why i also give the example for ^1^^0) as when it's not documented at all.
Changed the caps from Vista, but will upload another time (or if you think it's a huge mistake causing the earth to get blown up if I don't upload in time, i'll upload).
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2010, 06:21:43 AM »

I don't like undocumented features, too...
But I still don't understand what do you want to show with that strange example.
For black, use ^ ^ 0 (without spaces) or ^ ^ 8. You will see one of the two ^ in the normal color, but after that it's black. To make the visible ^ also some color, just type another one before (like ^ 1 ^ ^ 0 without spaces).
What's the usefulness of seeing the first ^ in the normal color? Typing ^ ^ 0, a guy will see only a white (or green) "^", nothing more. The first ^ seems completely useless to me (and yes, I tried it with 0.8.1, too), why do you want to show it? "For black, use ^ 0 or ^ 8 (without spaces)." is enough, IMHO... or maybe "For black, use ^ 0 your_text or ^ 8 your_text (without spaces)".
Anyay, I propose to put black in the list with the other colors (as in my previous post), showing from 0 to 7. And if you really want to talk about 0.8.5 limitation, simply add "In OA 0.8.5 you cannot use black for your name." after a full stop.

After removing the useless ^ in the first part, the second part could be: "If you want to show a ^ symbol, simply do not place a number immediately after it; if you want to show a colored ^, place another one (with a number) before it: for example ^ 1 ^ ^ 2 Test (without spaces) shows ^1^^2Test."
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 07:42:31 AM by Gig » Logged

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2010, 06:56:38 AM »

why do you want to show it?
Uhm, I don't want to show it, openarena just shows it.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2010, 07:17:40 AM »

why do you want to show it?
Uhm, I don't want to show it, openarena just shows it.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. The color code changed from 0.8.1 to 0.8.5, in 0.8.1 you had to use a double caret ^^ to create black lettering just like in quake, but in 0.8.5 a single caret ^ is enough.

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2010, 07:34:02 AM »

I just tried in 0.8.1 (again)

I pull down the console, I type \say ^0hi, hit enter so I say a black "hi"... no need for double ^ ^....

In the "player settings menu", instead, the black seem to not work at all (^0 writes white), both with one or two ^.... like it would be expected for 0.8.5... strange...

And I checked, there is no "pak6-patch085.pk3" file in my %appdata%\openarena\baseoa folder, it is only inside my 0.8.5 installation folder, not in the 0.8.1 installation folder.

Anyway, I tried also starting the game with "openarena.exe +set fs_homepath ." (this DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#Can_I_change_the_directory_to_where_configuration_and_autodownloaded_files_are_saved.3F]creates the config data in the installation folder), so to do not being disturbed by 0.8.5 config/autodownloaded files in my %appdata% folder.
But the "player settings menu" works as I told here, the black color seems to act like white, using one or two ^....
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 07:57:27 AM by Gig » Logged

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2010, 08:06:23 AM »

I just tried in 0.8.1 (again)

I pull down the console, I type \say ^0hi, hit enter so I say a black "hi"... no need for double ^ ^....

It' s about the names and not about the say command or isn' t it?

Here are my results:
0.8.1 (chat):0.8.1 (scores):0.8.5 (chat):0.8.5 (scores):
\name "^1my^^8test"my^testmy^testmy^testmy^test
\name "^1my^8test"mytest mytestmytestmytest
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:50:57 AM by 7 » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2010, 08:12:42 AM »

It' s about the names and not about the say command or isn' t it?
I think it should be in general, with the addition of specific notes for limitations in name.

If, in 0.8.5, ^8 appears as black in the console and as orange in the "player settings" menu and in the score table, I think we can call this a bug.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:24:04 AM by Gig » Logged

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2010, 08:27:31 AM »

I think it should be in general, with the addition of specific notes for limitations in name.

No offense, I just wanted to clear up the misunderstanding about double vs. single carets: it depends on the OA version. You don' t need double carets to produce black lettering at all in 0.8.5, you do need double carets to produce black lettering in player names in older versions of OA.

edit:
Don't get RMF started on this bug/feature Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2010, 08:41:24 AM »

By the way, yout ried with ^0... for the double ^, is it the same with ^0? Maybe ^8 isn't officially supported in 0.8.1...

Oh... I just found out another thing you did not put in your example table:
In 8.0.1:
\name "^1my^8test"
it's all red (mytest as in your example) in the score table... but in the console it is correctly mytest... another bug, I suppose...

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2010, 10:55:47 AM »

I never could get ^0 to work in names. I've added the 0.8.1 console results to the table (and now poor RMF has got to decide what to put in the manual).

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2010, 12:41:32 PM »

The thing which always works in 081 as the manual states all is written for OA0.8.1 Smiley
And as that is the double ^ it will remain as it is. Poor RMF decided Tongue

Thanks for the table though. It's clearer what is possible in which version now, no matter what's going in the manual. cake++;

edit: started on an 085 version. Only did the color thing so far, but I'm looking for other changes atm (going to look at the news and development section in a second).
Updated downloads: 081 - 085. Unfortunately same filename, might be changed but then users will have to rename it. Think it's better to get different filenames but your opinion please Smiley
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:54:42 PM by RMF » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2010, 12:57:03 PM »

Thanks for the table though. It's clearer what is possible in which version now, no matter what's going in the manual. cake++;
No cake for me that I'm following your manual from weeks? And that pointed out the missing example in 7's table (later added)?  Rest In PEACE!

Just kidding, I don't care about cakes much...  Wink

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2010, 01:00:20 PM »

You already have had 8.. oh well here you did deserve it ofcourse Tongue
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2010, 01:08:33 PM »

And you just got one cake for finally thinking about 0.8.5. You will get another one when we'll put a "definitive" help file version online.

I'm sorry I cannot help you for custom votes: there should be something here, but probably it's too complicated for the in-game help... We should talk about it on the wiki...

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2010, 03:53:56 PM »

hmm been looking for new 085 features, but can't really find a lot of vars or console commands. And that's what the manual mainly focusses on. Things like how the game works in general and where files are located for example didn't change so.. Is there a complete list of new commands/cvars somewhere?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2010, 12:43:22 AM »

Maybe a developer could answer this question...

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2010, 03:53:42 AM »

Broadcast: Any developers here to answer the question Cheesy
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2010, 05:46:50 AM »

Well, what do you say about publishing the 0.8.1 guide on the wiki, in the meanwhile?

I think we could link it DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_manual_for_the_game.3F_Can_I_help_expanding_it.3F]here (maybe there we could say that if someone wants to help expanding it, he can contact you using this forum or in someother way) and creating and "Ingame help" section DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual]here.
When you will publish new releases of the help, you'll have to update the links in these two pages.

We should also write two lines about how to use it:
Download the autoxec.cfg file. Place it in your "baseoa" folder (under your installation folder or under your personal configuration folder). Then launch OpenArena, pull down the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console]command console and type \HELP.[/size]
If you are already using an autoexec.cfg file in order to automatically execute some commands when you launch the game, you may want to use a text editor to append the help text on the existing file, instead of simply overwriting it. If you get errors like "Error: too many cvars, cannot create a new one", removing the autoexec.cfg help file could help a bit.

If it is ok for you?

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2010, 09:49:29 AM »

Yep Smiley Where is it going to be posted?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: