Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Advertisement  (Read 40431 times)
adriano

Cakes 4

« on: June 01, 2010, 05:53:21 AM »

Hello everybody,

I often play OA and I am missing something: Players. If we look at the CTF-servers (not instagib), then we see that always only the same 2 or 3 servers are filled with people: super,ctf and  [Z] Normal CTF server. That's annoying after a time.
And we are always the same persons (ok not all, but a lot) who play OA. Perhaps more or less we did the history of playing at OA. So I think that we need more players, with: Advertisement !
Ok, I know that costs money, but I wanna know what we can make possible.

So what do you think about the idea of doing adds of OA???
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:10:52 AM »

Maybe we could create some banners that people could add to their own personal sites/blogs... but I don't know how much they would be effective.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 09:52:45 AM »

Not bad, we can give it a try. Who creates the banners? Smiley

Does someone have other ideas? Perhaps an add which will be seen by more people.
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 11:21:58 AM »

I definitely agree with this idea but ads do cost money. I also think that making banners would help. I put it in all my sigs Wink but honestly I cant think of any real way to get more people to join oa. The thing that I play oa for above something like cod or halo is that the game is more gameplay driven then appealing to a mass audience or graphics and such. there are so many techniques to learn and master. I find that you can always get better at oa because there are harder and harder things to learn. for example I am just getting into defrag to improve my movement. Have you tried jumping in halo? you can't straft or even rocket jump! these games take only basic point and click skills to play. They are for casual gamers and this game is for hardcore gamers. And this will be the biggest obstacle in getting more ppl.

Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none!
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 12:05:49 PM »

Some people already discussed some of these points:

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3619.0
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2670.0

How I see it is:
1) Improve OA
2) Spread the word
3) Don't do more.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 02:10:53 PM »

Well the people that play this game often have some quake background. Maybe posting on a quake forum about this game would help or some where else where gamers that like a challenge can know about this game and also maybe post a warning that you will get your butt handed to you on your first day lol.
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 01:36:10 AM »

Well the people that play this game often have some quake background. Maybe posting on a quake forum about this game would help or some where else where gamers that like a challenge can know about this game and also maybe post a warning that you will get your butt handed to you on your first day lol.

I play Quake 3 everyday, and sometimes I mention that I was just playing Open Arena. Not a lot of people know what it is though.

Where are these banners I am reading about? Are they done? I want one for my signature in the forums I haunt.

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 02:10:27 AM »

NeonKnight has one in his sig, haven't you seen it?

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 02:47:31 AM »

Hmm, ya I might of noticed that actually, assuming the one your displaying there is it.

I'll have to come back when I'm at home and save that to use for my sigs.

Is that the only one? Looks fine, just wondering if there are a few to choose from.

I'm sneaking OA forums at work you see. Smiley

*Logan*

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 03:29:51 AM »

Well, here's my attempt...

I know, far from perfect.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 03:51:32 AM »

Well, here's my attempt...

I know, far from perfect.

I think its good, just fix up the OA symbol to its not as pixelated and it would be good

OPEN ARENA!!!!... it's cool

-PWNAGE- Anonymous Browsing
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 04:49:52 AM »

And now?

I'm mainly a Paint user...

Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 04:55:47 AM »

And now?

I'm mainly a Paint user...

The other one that neonknight is using looks much better...sorry :p

*Logan*

PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 05:14:03 AM »

Its better than my attempt

LOL  Cheesy

OPEN ARENA!!!!... it's cool

-PWNAGE- Anonymous Browsing
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 05:26:27 AM »

Alena? LOL

*Logan*

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 05:44:39 AM »

I'm similarly gifted in graphics http://openarena.tuxfamily.org/old/ . Banners are good ideas.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 07:13:20 AM »

cacatoes you are a talented man. the world will mourn your talent waste advertising open alena when your art could be saving baby seals or something.  Grin

could we get bigger banners plz? I like what you got but if it were bigger and people could see "OPEN ALENA" big and bold and if you can some kinda of graphic that kinda shows what OA is they might want to check it out! Cheesy

Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none!
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 01:20:32 PM »

Thoushaltdie, maybe the main page's logos would be better for your idea. But the usual banner's size is this one.

Logan, never mind, but actually, except these ones, I don't know any OpenArena forum banners. You asked for some variety. And I needed a challenge.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 05:38:28 PM »

Someone wanted a banner?
I just did this for you!  Smiley

Do you like it?

(Click it to expand, it's animated)

UPDATE. Image changed to remove reference to Q3A.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 03:32:11 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 05:59:40 PM »

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT EVER MENTIONING QUAKE GAMES

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 11:57:13 PM »

Logan, never mind, but actually, except these ones, I don't know any OpenArena forum banners. You asked for some variety. And I needed a challenge.

and I appreciate it. Really. lol :p

*Logan*

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2010, 02:25:48 AM »

Good work, guys.

Another animated banner would be cool. Perhaps one without Quake, but one with "www.openarena.ws" in it, because some are too lazy to search the internet adress for OA. A little picture of OA's map with playing players where you can see gameplay would be also nice.

E.g. something like this: You are searching a free multiplayer FPS game? >>> [logo of OA] Then try Openarena [picture] >>> Free download on www.openarena.ws.

So, that's my idea. Could someone do that work. I can't.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2010, 02:29:57 AM »

WHAT ABOUT FANCY 88x31 BUTTONS!!!

You know, like the old "GET X Now!" buttons.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2010, 03:53:50 AM »

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT EVER MENTIONING QUAKE GAMES

Excuse me, why? OpenArena is a free game advisable to who likes Quake III but doesn't want to spend money. It uses (a modified) Quake 3 engine, gameplay is almost identical, it contains its weapons (with different look, but same feel), and is compatible with many Quake III mods. What's wrong with using Quake III name to explain the gameplay? :-/

Anyway, if you don't want, I will no more mention Quake III in other banners. Have I to modify also this one (in this case, please suggest me what to say in the first frame instead of "Did you like Quake III Arena?".... "Do you like tournament-style FPS games?" or something similar?) or it can remain as it is?
Another animated banner would be cool. Perhaps one without Quake, but one with "www.openarena.ws" in it, because some are too lazy to search the internet adress for OA.
Before reading your posts, I already did another animated banner, without references to Quake III. I didn't think to put OA site URL in because I thought that the user would use an hyperlink on the image... anyway I can fix.
I will fix this and then upload them. In the next days, I will do also the one you proposed... I don't know if I have enough time today.

I also did "static" PNG versions.

I found a page on the wiki where we can put the banners and the buttons/icons... (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Artwork
I'd like to put them there, but I have some questions about this, I hope fromhell can answer.
- What about license? Since they include the OA logo, have I to release them under GPLv2?
- Since GPLv2 likes "sources", to do a good thing I should upload also my "sources" (various Photoshop files and an Ulead Gif Animator project for each animated GIF) and a "COPYING" file, but I think the wiki site does not accept upload zip files, only images. Where should I upload them? Here on the forum and then add a link to the post? But in this case, they would be available for registered users only...
Please tell me what should I do...

UPDATE: What do you think about these? Click images to expand (animated).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 04:53:23 AM by Gig » Logged

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2010, 04:33:31 AM »

What's wrong with using Quake III name to explain the gameplay?
Quake is a trademark.
You are not allowed to use it in names or advertisements or in a way suggestion that the game is Quake. You can reference it in the documentation or detailed description if you are referencing to the original game.

I believe id changed the engine names to "idTech X" to protect the Quake and Doom trademarks.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: