Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: add history mode  (Read 46734 times)
epep
Nub

Cakes -6

PARKOUR !

« on: June 13, 2010, 03:02:12 PM »

hello friends ... is that as a member of this forohe asked many things ... sometimes very stupid ... sorry:(... but I was remembering my childhood days where he played quake 2 ... remember the story mode? what if we add a story mode to open sand .. with various levels and enemies that we will find as we go levels ... I for one .. not a lot of computer ... but I graduated film school in Cuba ... e started writing a script about the story mode ... and want to meet people to help me bring this dream to play ... do not take this as a sort of fad .. take it as something that could raise the interest of open sand juagdores ... and maybe add it to later versions:) .... I thank you people of the forum has helped me with any questions .. and had earlier that mind ... and I hope you are there to support me at this moment:)

Peter!!--->
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 03:40:51 PM »

Hi,

Main concern is to understand you Wink You use a translator and sometimes it's hard to guess the meaning, hard to read, and hard to help.

So yes, you suggest a story mode, some people already mentionned it.

You should read a lot of this forum, this idea pit is good when you know well the game, and when you know well what OpenArena developpers can do.

Todo: Walk the cat.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 03:45:18 PM »

could maybe 'default' the setting into the future, then have some timesplitters2-esque excuse plot of some sort of interdimensional quantum gates being abused. and have an anime intro video kinda showing this happening

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
epep
Nub

Cakes -6

PARKOUR !

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 04:33:40 PM »

well... i use the google traductor... but i think is better is i type this manual.... well i know ... i read all the topics about the story mode... but... now one take actions.. yesterday i star the guion.. and a friend and me who are a expert in modeling and making virtual scenaries... we are going to work on this... only what i want is people what can acelerate.. this process ... two persons working on this ?? i think i will finish in the 2013... Smiley

Peter!!--->
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 05:36:29 PM »

I think I remember something similar...

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2429.0

I don't know about current progress, though. Neon_Knight?

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 08:23:43 PM »

On hold. When we'll get closer to 0.9.0, I'll go back for it.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 03:03:57 AM »

I didn't read the previous threads about story modes.... what can I say about this:
- OpenArena has been thought as a free alternative to Quake III Arena, not to Quake 2. Quake III was in tournament style, a similar change probably is more adapt for a MOD instead of in the main game. I suggest you to work on a mod.
- Game physics are optimized for deathmatch games, they aren't very realistic (tuning them to make more realistic may be long, I fear, if you wanna do a good job... anyway I'm not a coder)
- I haven't seen many single player mods for Quake 3 Arena... anyway one was The Dark Conjuction (Trailer video), a monster-horror Total Conversion, not bad (and it seems that its source code may be available, looking here). You can download it here. UPDATE: It works with OpenArena and I just created a page about it DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/The_Dark_Conjunction]here.

two persons working on this ?? i think i will finish in the 2013... Smiley
Maybe a little too optimistic.  Smiley And no, it's not irony, a single player mod may be a long work... Obviously it depends from how do you want to do it. If, instead of making a "real" total conversion with new weapons and new monsters, you would use the classic weapons, classic models for monsters, and modify some existing maps to adapt them for story mode, you may speed up your work.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 03:18:33 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 05:09:09 AM »

first and foremost we'd need monsters.

like...

pistol monster
punch monster
chomp monster that charges full speed
explode monster
powerful fireball monster
flying shooting monster
undead monster
huge monster
sniper monster
rocket monster
monster monster
smart pistol monster
shotgun monster
big chaingn monster
rocket spam monster
little monster monster

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 05:13:37 AM »

"monster monster" is my favourite!  Smiley

PS: is there already a "story"? I mean, a "plot"? Monsters, weapons, levels will turn around some plot, I suppose...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 06:36:56 AM »

Gig, check that thread I linked. That topic contains the current SP idea.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
epep
Nub

Cakes -6

PARKOUR !

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 09:19:26 AM »

friends friends.... yes I'm painting the monstersn inspired on this and some ones on this    so??who want help me Huh the people interesed add me chamox3@hotmail.com .... we can be on contact and make this reality Smiley

Peter!!--->
epep
Nub

Cakes -6

PARKOUR !

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 09:33:29 AM »

ok.. here is the first monster... i think this can be the noob monster Smiley whit no weapons http://img821.imageshack.us/i/imagen1cz.png/

Peter!!--->
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 10:16:32 AM »

Nice, I should only remember to you that if you copy-paste part of a copyrighted image (consider every image with no copyright indication as "all rights reserved"), and make changes, you will have a "derivate work" and a copyright infignment.

If we want to be more pedantic, you cannot even draw a Terminator with your hands, it is still a "derivative work". You can create a generic cyborg/robot, but it shouldn't bee too similar to a Terminator.

A generic cyborg zombie should not be a problem, if you don't copy-paste from copyrighted drawings.

I understand that yours is simply an example artwork... but it was only to specify an important aspect before you begin. If you want to do a mod in full "Open Arena" style, you should release it under GPLv2 and "import" only Public Domain or GPLv2 third part stuff (there are some sites that offer them).... anyway you can release your own mod with the license you prefer, but you should respect the license of the media files you reuse.

PS: I still don't understand if Epep wants to join the previous project (in stand-by?) linked by Graion Dilach, or to start his own mod.

epep
Nub

Cakes -6

PARKOUR !

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 10:43:20 AM »

emmm... im gonnna join in the other project.. its the same cause... i will give they some ideas Smiley... send me the link of the other project

Peter!!--->
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 01:58:20 PM »

Actually, you aren't that helpful with pure ideas but without support. I can't model the things you'd like to. And actually, there's already Skelebot.

Since OpenArena is based upon Q3, the story mode will be similar, but using the OA figures.

I don't know, Elite Force used a different executable to the story mode... maybe there was a reason for doing that.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 02:17:03 PM »

I'm sorry, I didn't read all the 5 pages of the previous tread. I read in the first post there about <<7 tiers, 6 with 4 maps, and the final battle in q3dm6ishv3>>... and you talk about a Q3 story mode...
But Quake 3 does not have a story mode, it has only "tiers" (you can access the next tier only when you completed the four maps in the current tier... exatcly like in base OpenArena), separated by show cinematics that enumerate the bot players you will find in that tier.

Maybe that discussion later turned about a "real" story mode instead of a series of arena matches simply divided into tiers?

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 02:54:16 PM »

The fourth reply by Neon describes the story.

With the cutscenes, I was thinking them more in order to make a story than only show. This is/was my idea for them:
- Intro movie: the player being selected by Kyonshi for his father's Tournament, being teleported like Sarge does on Q3A's intro movie.
- After Tier 1: After defeating Assassin, the player manages to find an escape route at the Slimefac, which is a pod like GDF soldiers have in Q2/Q4. He ends in The Abandoned Base, where he meets with Soldier and Beret who are there in a recognition mission or something like that, and Sergei, who is trying his new killerbot.
- After Tier 2: After destroying MetalBot, the player finds a Jumpgate at the facility, which kicks the player soooooooooooo long, that he ends in a strange platform, where Sarge and Grism are awaiting for him in a non-friendly way.
- After Tier 3: With Angela resting in a corner of the Spire, it falls into the Sago planet, in a dangerous area. Major finds the player killed Angela, and try to avenge her, but they're not alone as well.
- After Tier 4: Dargoth's head falls from the 3rd. floor and crashes. One of the portals change it's colour, and the player ends in the sewers, where Neko and Sorceress will be waiting for him. Of course, in a not-friendly way. ^^ At this moment, Kyonshi watches the player's progress while they send more warriors to stop him from reaching the Fortress.
- After Tier 5: Arachna rests in pieces in a corner of the castle, and the player exits the level. When the doors closes, the player must find an exit way. He ends at the Floating Spire, where Tanisha and Dark are waiting for him, but without any good purposes. Grin
- After Tier 6: <InsertBossNameHere> is fueled by revenge after the player killed his daughter Kyonshi, and he personally teleports the player to the center area of his castle to give the player a definitive rest, once and for all...

Yep, it is based upon tiers... but that doesn't mean there couldn't be a story around them...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 03:24:25 PM »

So, adding cinematics between tiers to give a story, and using the "classic" gameplay (deathmatch, respawn, fraglimit, etc)? Interesting.

But I suppose that what Epep wanted something more similar to DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/The_Dark_Conjunction]The Dark Conjunction (or something like Doom, or maybe Serious sam... more action-oriented than survival horror, I don't know), isn't so?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 04:29:40 PM by Gig » Logged

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 04:18:57 PM »

Looks like.

I'm interested where will the assets come from. I know that not from me, because I haven't got skill to aid this.

Also, I'm curios to see Neon's SP, I'd vote for that one.

epep
Nub

Cakes -6

PARKOUR !

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 05:04:12 PM »

Well, the story mode does not have to follow a precise pattern, as seen in other games quake2, but my leg was just something like a story mode game called Lugaru, heres is the link if you want try this game and see the story mode of this Smiley http://www.wolfire.com/lugaru
here is if you want download the full game to watch the story mode Smiley
<ADMIN ABUSE SNIP: I DON'T THINK SO>

but without drifting off topic ... I think it's great that people have thought about developing this. because if we all contribute ideas and facts we can make future versions of the open sand a game more fun and interesting, without further ado, we should develop other models different story mode:) I think that the story mode would something strange if they suddenly appeared at a Merman and the soldiers ... would be very funny:D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 05:13:39 PM by fromhell » Logged

Peter!!--->
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 05:12:54 PM »

In fact, Quake 3 had at least a plot, an Excuse plot, but, what the hell. The Vadrigar reunited the best warriors of the worlds just out of boredom and to use them as entertaining. That's why you see characters from the Quake and Doom games.

It's in fact possible to have a plot in a multiplayer game, even if a part of the audience doesn't care about it. Look at the Unreal series, for example. Unreal Tournament was all about a blood sport with different play modes and everything "to control violence among deep space miners". Or the plot in the upcoming Nexuiz game for PS3. (I don't give a d*mn about that stupid OSS vs. PS war, so don't start with that, we have another thread to discuss that)

It's not something essential for the gameplay, but it's a plus.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 05:14:41 PM »

Mortal Kombat plots were the best they could come up with in the 90s Sad

I'm interested where will the assets come from.
me too, because i don't think I can do much alone. I'm stuck with players!

Though the good thing is... monster entities would only need lower.md3 to deal with. Easier animation and it's faster that way. Smiley

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 05:17:17 PM »

Great to see a shareware program which has no written minimum requirements...?! Where should I know that it runs on my PC?

Thanks for nothing... look, if you really want a real stery mode created from scratch, forgetting the tiers, create it in your own fashion. Two years ago I did myself a mixed Q3-OA campaign with 14 tiers... but I keep my mouth shut about that, because it's my own secret and has no useful info, because everything was scavenged.

If you even create with assets (models, sounds, maps) with permission to use them, that will be interesting. I think for starting a project it's better to keep it silent until a bit progress have been reached. Then the audience will keep an eye on it, because it shows potential.

However, plain ides are not considered as progress. Sorry.

fromhell, Soul Edge has been written in the '90s. And that has a great story, IMO.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 05:29:42 PM »

Soul Edge didn't have undead chinese women with guns blasting away space marines and demonic prostitutes with an announcer telling how excellent they are.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2010, 05:31:59 PM »

Soul Edge
Off topic: Soul Edge (aka Soul Blade): great game, great intro.

Soul Edge didn't have undead chinese women with guns blasting away space marines and demonic prostitutes with an announcer telling how excellent they are.
Mortal Kombat featured various of these, maybe except guns and space marines...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: