Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: User system  (Read 11233 times)
Pancake-Pandemic
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: November 30, 2010, 02:42:05 PM »

I think a large reason for not picking up new players is because of the interface, and lack of a user/friend system. It can be hard to meet in a server, and to see what friends are playing since not even Xfire supports OA.

I can help design such an interface, but I cannot script it, perhaps someone is willing to team up with me?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 03:20:06 PM »

The built-in server browser comes from Q3A and has got its limitations. I proposed some improvements to it, too (to add more than 16 favorites, and to inform the user when all the favorites slots are already used; and to write the url or the ip of the currently selected server somewhere in the screen).

At the moment there are some external server browsers that can do things not included with the built-in server browser (like searching for a player's name): please see DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Servers#Server_browsers]here[/url][/b]. Using the "dpmaster" web page + the OAWire plugin is a good start, or if you want a "complete" server browser, you may use "qtracker".

I don't know Xfire... if it is a server browser... maybe someone could try to contact its developers to ask them to add support for OpenArena into the software: if they support Quake III Arena, the protocol should be very similar, I think...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 04:09:53 PM »

The svn tree of Xqf , a GTK2 based server browser, supports OpenArena ( http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=svn&group_id=13296 )
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 04:28:41 PM »

Xqf? Are you talking about this?
It seems that the latest release is 1.0.5, and is back to 2006... OpenArena does not seem to be on the web page that talks about its supported games.
Maybe the support has been added on the svn, but there have been no new releases since then? This means that one should get the source from the svn and compile it by himself? This would not seem a way to enlarge OpenArena user friendlyness and its knowledge by the massess...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 07:38:22 AM »

Linux distros can build their package from the SVN tree, indeed. At least Debian picks up a few from it.

There are also SVN builds for various distros here : http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/games:/tools/

Edit: more about the original subject, there may be some redundancy between the UI and some "Launcher", which I suppose should be dealt with. Other than that I'm not well informed on UIv2 project, its requirements (why it isn't worked on actually), nor its possibilities.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 07:55:31 AM by Cacatoes » Logged

Todo: Walk the cat.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 10:24:49 AM »

Xqf? Are you talking about this?
It seems that the latest release is 1.0.5, and is back to 2006... OpenArena does not seem to be on the web page that talks about its supported games.
Maybe the support has been added on the svn, but there have been no new releases since then? This means that one should get the source from the svn and compile it by himself? This would not seem a way to enlarge OpenArena user friendlyness and its knowledge by the massess...

Openarena support was added in the svn tree after Openarena 081 was out and it supports all the OpenArena versions and protocol numbers.

It's not hard to grab a copy of the tree and compile it , at least on a GNU or BSD system , even packaged .
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 03:25:52 PM »

As far as I know, most computer users use Windows, and do not know what a SVN is and how to compile a program.

Anyway, if you want to add some words to the wiki, mentioning how to compile xqf...

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 08:34:58 PM »

XQF doesn't support Windows anyway iirc

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 07:18:50 AM »

I'm too lazy myself to compile it, if that's only a matter of getting OA its own entry. But I could bug Debian a bit about it.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 12:36:38 PM »

I'm too lazy myself to compile it, if that's only a matter of getting OA its own entry. But I could bug Debian a bit about it.

It could be a good idea sending a bug report to debian developers , because in the old version even when you add the dpmaster to the Quake3 master servers list , you can browse Openarena servers but you must set also the correct protocol.

The svn version threats OpenArena as a standalone game.

For Windows , I found an equivalent program that uses qstat too : http://sites.google.com/site/monsterbrowser/

I don't know if it supports OpenArena simply by adding the dpmaster server
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 04:10:14 PM »

I noticed that XQF was already mentioned on the Wiki page I mentioned before. I DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Servers&diff=7963&oldid=7853]added some words about the need to recompile it.

About Monster Browser, I just tried, and I see that it has got some development in 2010. OpenArena is not currently available by default, so I tried to edit its configuration file (Setup > Games), and I think I picked up the correct settings:
[OpenArena]
mod=baseoa
exeName=openarena.exe
exePath=C:\Program files\OpenArena\openarena.exe
masterServer=dpmaster.deathmask.net:27950
protocolVersion=71
useGslist=false
This will search all OpenArena servers that are using "baseoa". I have not yet found a way to show all mods at once (anyway, the result table would not say the mod of each server!), thus one have to manually create a section for each mod he is interested to (like [OpenArena - baseoa]... [OpenArena - Excessiveplus], etc.), using a different "mod" value for each one.
Maybe one may simply use Qtracker instead of this program (note: Qtracker is freeware, but not opensource).

PS: I have not idea of what that "useGslist" parameter is.

Anyway, like I said for Xfire, maybe someone of us may try to contact the developers of Monster Browser to ask to add native support for OpenArena...

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 04:37:39 PM »

[..]
PS: I have not idea of what that "useGslist" parameter is.

Gslist should be another powerfull server browser ; maybe that option exists to permit using it instead of qstat.

EDIT : I forgot to mention that gslist doesn't support Openarena , only Quake 3 ( protocol 68 )
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:26:48 AM by Falkland » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: