Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Option] Center-less Harvester  (Read 17138 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: February 27, 2011, 01:16:28 PM »

I've played a bit of UT3's Greed, the equivalent to Quake III: Team Arena's Harvester, (also included in main OA) but without a central skull receptacle.

I want to know if there's a chance to create a center-less variant of this gametype or if there can be an option to remove the central skull generator for the mode, and instead make the skulls to spawn in the same spot the player died, like in Greed.

Here's a video about Greed. Can be source of inspiration for other ideas. Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxrpyOBe8zU

(3:04 comes the idea for this map)

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 05:59:45 PM »

Interesting. Such variant may be applied to any CTF map, since it does not need the skull generator placed by the map creator. I suppose it should not be too hard to create, since it could be based upon Harvester code with few changes, but there is still the problem that we have very few game logic programmers around here. 

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »

but there is still the problem that we have very few game logic programmers around here. 
it's amazing that we even have stuff like elimination, domination AND double domination at all!

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 07:51:12 AM »

but there is still the problem that we have very few game logic programmers around here. 
it's amazing that we even have stuff like elimination, domination AND double domination at all!
And to think that all of that is Sago's work... Cheesy

Interesting. Such variant may be applied to any CTF map, since it does not need the skull generator placed by the map creator. I suppose it should not be too hard to create, since it could be based upon Harvester code with few changes, but there is still the problem that we have very few game logic programmers around here. 
Hmmmm... not. Tongue

This was actually an option I've proposed, rather than implementing a whole new gametype like Posession. It still requires the mapper to place the neutral flag/skulls for non-centerless games.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »

Oh... patience. But it would have been comfortable.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 01:52:44 PM »

I am not as familar with the source, but maybe modifying g_team.c could do the biggest part of this job...
If there is no neutral obelisk, just spawn the skulls, where the player died.
But this is a solution, where the mapper has to decide about harvester/centerless harvester, you will never be able to make a map supporting both gametypes.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 03:09:33 PM »

I believe it can be done with two lines of code.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »

But this is a solution, where the mapper has to decide about harvester/centerless harvester, you will never be able to make a map supporting both gametypes.

Just a reminder:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_information_for_special_gametypes#Capture_the_flag
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_information_for_special_gametypes#Harvester

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 04:47:24 PM »

Hmmmm... actually, you can do that. Technically speaking, any map has a central area, even if it's two rooms connected by a single point. (Where the passage connecting the rooms is the central area)

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 05:13:16 PM »

I don't know, maybe he was talking about entities and "gametype list"? This is why I linked the page that talks about them...

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 08:02:54 PM »

And it can be called "Scavenger"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am an genias

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 08:04:08 PM »

Skull Raider (?)

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 10:52:20 PM »

I've finally implemented this as a cvar. It was sent to the pull requests as we speak.

The cvar is g_harvester_fromBodies, 0 disables it, other values enables it.

The only known issue is that the neutral obelisk is still drawn instead of disappearing, even with all the checks in place.

Here's the pull-request: https://github.com/OpenArena/gamecode/pull/33
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:57:19 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 01:46:56 AM »

I just noticed this thread has not been updated after the code has been merged into master.

So, for the record, the feature is available in gamecode nighly builds (for testing as OAX mod) since some months.

The setting is g_harvesterFromBodies <0 or 1>.

0 = Classic TA behavior: skulls spawn at generator. Default.
1 = "From bodies": (like some other games "greed", collect" modes) skulls spawn where characters die. In case they end up in a "nodrop" area (e.g. inside a deadly pit), they will re-appear at the generator.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 02:00:13 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: