Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Finished 0.8.8 not available  (Read 94677 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2012, 08:41:08 AM »

ps37ctf isn't going to be fixed. ps37ctf2, on the other hand, will.

You failed to understand me, ignore Swaggerall. The problem is not with the maps, the problem is with OA's internal functions. When playing elimination whichever team spawns first gets to run around the map during warmup. (team A) Meanwhile, every single member of team B spawns dead in a wall, underwater, or in some random place. The map does not matter, it's not a map issue.
Does it happen during warmup only?
Considering that in Elimination there may be two kinds of warmup... we should understand which is the one that causes problems.

g_dowarmup: Generic warmup that can be used in any gametype. Not sure if allowed values are 0 and 1 only or more (I don't know if it is possible to set how long this warmup will be)

elimination_warmup: Elimination specific warmup. Value means seconds between rounds, must at least be 2 and higher than elimination_activewarmup
elimination_activewarmup: Elimination specific. Time (in seconds) to roam before weapons activate, must at least be 1 and lower than elimination warmup
See also: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Elimination#CVARs

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Biox1dE
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

I have my own personality

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2012, 08:42:02 AM »

this is in any way a "new" bug. just try it for yourself, yeah?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2012, 01:32:35 PM »

first off some of the parts in oa are missing colors such as in the system menu AND the crosshairs like the X/t

are missing infact theres alot of crosshairs missing

Hi! I've had a case where the background of the "system" menu (at least when accessed from the ESC menu during a match) went light grey (making text very difficult to see). I haven't been able to figure out the reason of the problem, but after deleting the homepath folder (Danger! Do it only if you know what deleting it means and you are sure you want!), it did not happen anymore.

About crosshairs, I've just tested some of them (not all of them), and I haven't been able to find any flaw in them.

Could you please post some screenshots of the problems you mentioned? Thank you!

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2012, 02:03:07 PM »

Hi! I've had a case where the background of the "system" menu (at least when accessed from the ESC menu during a match) went light grey (making text very difficult to see). I haven't been able to figure out the reason of the problem, but after deleting the homepath folder (Danger! Do it only if you know what deleting it means and you are sure you want!), it did not happen anymore.

This is when you use the latest 088 gamecode vm but you're not using the latest textures and menu packages. I did have this exact same bug when developping some stuff because I would only compile the 088 gamecode and not the rest.

Probably this happened to you because the vm was 088 but the menus or textures were 085 or 081 (and loaded from homepath).
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2012, 02:47:13 PM »

Basically, not a bug.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »

Maybe yes. I figured out what caused it in my case. I'm doing some tests with DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Videoflags#Videoflags]videoflags set to 0 (instead of 7, the default). If you set videoflags 0, r_vertexlight 1, vid_restart, then (from ESC menu during a match, not from the main menu!) access "Setup" menu, you see this grey background (instead of black) that makes reading very difficult. See screenshot attached.

It is not a "big" bug (I suppose few people will be affected, considering that nowadays vertex lighting is usually not used), but probably it's something that may be fixed in the future.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2012, 05:20:01 PM »

And I can confirm the warmup bug in Elimination mode.

During the "inactive" part of the elimination warmup, players of a team spawn correctly, but players of the other one spawn in wrong places (e.g. underwater, in walls..) where should not be spawn points, and immediately die. Once dead, they can only spectate other players until the warmup enters the "active" part and they return in-game.
If one activates generic warmup, too (g_dowarmup 1; ps: it is possible to change its duration with g_warmup), the bug happens a first time when the generic warmup starts, and a second time when the "inactive" elimination-specific warmup stars.

How to reproduce:
Launch two openarena sessions on your computer (or use two computers in LAN, if you can).
In one of them set elimination_warmup 20, elimination_activewarmup 5, g_gametype alien map <the map you wish>.
From the other OA session, browse local servers and join the game.
One of the two players will spawn in a strange point and die, and will have to wait for the timer to reach 5 before entering the game.
In the "server" session, use /map_restart to make the problem happen again.

I suppose this is a problem only Sago can fix...

PS: I'm not sure I correctly understood why they have been created both elimination_warmup and elimination_activewarmup... what's the difference between the two (other than the second one is the "last part" of the first one)?

About various weapons sounds that do not play in Elimination during "waiting for players" and during "g_dowarmup"... I thought it was some sort of feature (a sort of "quiet mode" while not really playing), but maybe it's just a bug. Again, we need Sago for an answer!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:35:32 PM by Gig » Logged

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2012, 05:24:47 PM »

And I can confirm the warmup bug in Elimination mode.
How to reproduce:
Launch two openarena sessions on your computer.
In one of them set elimination_warmup 20, elimination_activewarmup 5, g_gametype alien map <the map you wish>.
From the other OA session, browse local servers and join the game.
One of the two players will spawn in a strange point and die, and will have to wait for the timer to reach 5 before entering the game.
In the "server" session, use /map_restart to make the problem happen again.
 I correctly understood why they have been created both elimination_warmup and elimination_activewarmup... what's the difference between the two (other than the second one is the "last part" of the first one)?

Gig, you deserve 100 cakes!
The 1st well done bug report i saw since 0.88 is released!
I just can give you one Sad
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2012, 05:32:41 PM »

Thank you!  Smiley
Well, also the one above (about the less important bug, related to vertex lighting) explains how to reproduce (even if the post does not specify "how to reproduce:" words)...  Smiley

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2012, 05:40:04 PM »

And now the bad side:
i am not able to reproduce this behaviour Sad
I can not find any server localy Sad

Try to make your description more precise Wink

ps: i hope, that you know what i mean.

pps: who cares about the both other probs (various vars and weapon sound during warmup)? lets fix this 1st! After this we could examine the other probs.
Biox1dE
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

I have my own personality

« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2012, 05:40:30 PM »

during active warmup, you can fire your weapons. that's the only difference

==edit
Peter Silie, you can start a skirmish and have a bot join the game while you are a spectator. Then try to join the game yourself. The second team alway spawns dead.

swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2012, 10:49:55 PM »

first off some of the parts in oa are missing colors such as in the system menu AND the crosshairs like the X/t

are missing infact theres alot of crosshairs missing

About crosshairs, I've just tested some of them (not all of them), and I haven't been able to find any flaw in them.

Could you please post some screenshots of the problems you mentioned? Thank you!

is there any possible way to take a screenshot of that screen?

pressing the Screenshot button it only hiligghts in the menus

Mega Rules The World ! Mega Rules The World
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2012, 02:24:57 AM »

during active warmup, you can fire your weapons. that's the only difference
I thought it was this way, but during my tests, yesterday, I noticed that I was not able to fire before the match begins, not even in the last seconds (those that should be of "active" warmup). This is coherent with its description in the wiki (elimination_activewarmup: time (in seconds) to roam before weapons activate)... but in this case I don't get the difference with inactive warmup. Maybe during inactive warmup you can still join a team, and during active not? I've not tested this yet. UPDATE: tested, it is possible to join a team during both inactive and active elimination warmup. It is not possible to shoot during both inactive and active elimination warmup.

@Peter: you cannot find any server locally? Very strange... maybe it's your firewall that is blocking one of the two sessions from network traffic. For how to create and find a LAN server, you can take a look to (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Multiplayer

@Swaggerall: use the "print" button (usually on the upper right corner) on your keyboard (this will store your screen to your windows "clipboard"), then open an image manupulation program (e.g. Paint) and paste the screenshot there, then save it as a .jpg file where you wish (if you took it from windowed mode, crop the image).

PS: What about talking about 0.8.8 bugs in the thread about 0.8.8 bugs?

PPS: It seems both missing weapons sounds before match start and instant-death during warmup problems affect gametype 8 (Elimination) and 9 (CTF Elimination), but not 10 (Last Man Standing, which is similar, but does not have teams).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:50:59 AM by Gig » Logged

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2012, 07:38:53 AM »

You can also write in the console:

Code:
/screenshotJPEG
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2012, 08:27:54 AM »

I can not find any server locally Sad

Just do a /connect 127.0.0.1:27960 or whatever IP:port you're running on. Saves a few clicks and should work in any case.

This space is for rent.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2012, 01:57:08 PM »

I suppose this is a problem only Sago can fix...

PS: I'm not sure I correctly understood why they have been created both elimination_warmup and elimination_activewarmup... what's the difference between the two (other than the second one is the "last part" of the first one)?

About various weapons sounds that do not play in Elimination during "waiting for players" and during "g_dowarmup"... I thought it was some sort of feature (a sort of "quiet mode" while not really playing), but maybe it's just a bug. Again, we need Sago for an answer!
elimination_warmup is the time between rounds. elimination_activewarmup are the time before the round starts that the player is allowed to spawn.

I believe the problem that you are referring to appears because the spawn function are not executed because active warmup (where you do the actual respawn). This is most notably in the beginning of the game because you start in (0,0,0) and in some maps that is outside the map. The problem does also happen then you die but here your position is the place of your corpse that are likely in the map somewhere.

I have known about this for a long time but I have always considered it cosmetic because it only happens before the game really starts (also 0,0,0 is usually a valid location and non-active-warmup tends to be very short). Many attempts to fix it have made the problem much worse (game affecting), so they have always been reverted. 

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »

A strange thing is that some players actually spawn during the "inactive" warmup (and can move just like during the "active" warmup), while others die... Maybe not everyone spawns at 0.0.0, but why?

...and, from what you said... are you saying that in theory during "inactive" warmup noone should spawn, but everyone should be in "free spectate" mode, until "active" warmup begins?

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2012, 02:40:32 PM »

...and, from what you said... are you saying that in theory during "inactive" warmup noone should spawn, but everyone should be in "free spectate" mode, until "active" warmup begins?
Surviving players can stay but they too are forced to respawn when active warmup starts.

There is a small exception because to just spectate until another player joins is quite boring. I don't remember the exact rules for it anymore (this was coded back in 2007) but if the round could not start due to missing players the game would relax a bit and allow spawning players and activate weapons. This feature was never polished but even in that state I still considered it a better alternative.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2012, 04:01:48 PM »

Maybe yes. I figured out what caused it in my case. I'm doing some tests with DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Videoflags#Videoflags]videoflags set to 0 (instead of 7, the default). If you set videoflags 0, r_vertexlight 1, vid_restart, then (from ESC menu during a match, not from the main menu!) access "Setup" menu, you see this grey background (instead of black) that makes reading very difficult. See screenshot attached.

It is not a "big" bug (I suppose few people will be affected, considering that nowadays vertex lighting is usually not used), but probably it's something that may be fixed in the future.

Just to reply to this other bug: if this happens in normal gaming conditions, then this bug should be fixed. But it's weird that this texture get loaded only when vertex is enabled and not when lightmap is?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2012, 06:01:12 AM »

It seems the same problem as here:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4443.msg43548#msg43548

Fromhell replied that "Vertex light is not supported" (I suppose this means FH will not search a way to fix it).

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2012, 07:06:50 AM »

r_vertexLight 1 seems to mess up all complex shaders, just go to oa_bases3 and see the difference in the sky or the flashy bit in the flag rooms.  Since the menu background is a shader, it messes that up too when a game is active.

The fix would require seeing how r_vertexLight 1 manipulates the shaders and make it smarter (if possible).

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2012, 02:04:53 PM »

@andrewj: thank's for the explanation, crystal clear now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: