Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: i hate ciggaweed!  (Read 84882 times)
Jakash3
I EDITED ALL MY POSTS OUT LOL!!! TAKE THAT, INTERNET FORUM!!
Half-Nub

Cakes -9

SELF-IMPOSED CENSORSHIP FTW!

« on: July 23, 2012, 08:30:06 PM »

I give up on openarena
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:57:17 AM by Jakash3 » Logged

BY THE WAY I GAVE UP ON OPENARENA
Tiago
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 01:40:57 PM »

I?
Jakash3
Half-Nub

Cakes -9

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 06:37:18 PM »

I give up on openarena
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:57:23 AM by Jakash3 » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 03:57:55 AM »

Excuse me Jackash... but if you are blaming the whole game and this forum for the behavior of third-party people (third party server admins and third party players), you are clearly wrong.

Servers do not have a centralized supervision (OA comes from Q3A, not from Quake Live. We don't have their unique login name system they have), and there are many different "oa communities" out there, that are used to play on different servers and talk on different forums.

There is a "master server" (and it is run by third-party, I think), but it merely lists normal servers... it does not have any control over them. Anyone can run his own server, and we cannot control him in any way.

Only few server admins and oa players actually write in this forum.

If you find a lamer like the one you found... I suggest to don't lose your time imitating him. Just tell him to stop acting wrong once or two times, without using offensive words. If this does not work, callvote to kick him once. If this does not work, just move yourself to another server, and let that lamer play alone or annoy other people. Smiley

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Jewjitsu
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 08:25:51 AM »

LoL. Call the OA Police! fromhell come arrest Omi, he kicked (didnt ban) C++(jakash) for being a sore winner. What I mean by that is being abusive to people when he wins a game. No one likes that bs attitude and it runs off players. I was there, I was spectating while eating, he deserved it. C++, quit crying on OA forums as if it accomplishes anything. Someone deduct another cake from him, i demand it!
Jakash3
Half-Nub

Cakes -9

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 12:44:44 AM »

I give up on openarena
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:57:31 AM by Jakash3 » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 01:20:40 AM »

I find nothing humiliating in arriving second in a DM, no matter the reason.
This is just a game, play for fun!  Smiley

By the way, what happened? A guy killed himself just before you managed to kill him? The game already discourages this, by lowering the score of who commits suicide... what else should the game do? Disable the "kill" command? But somethimes it is useful (e.g. if you get stuck in a badly designed map)... and however one might find other ways to suicide (e.g. jumping into lava or into a pit of death, or rocket-jumping while having low health).
In recent OA versions (from 0.8.5), IIRC, if there are only 2 players in a deathmatch (and also in Tournament mode), if one of the two suicides, instead of having his own score lowered as usual, the opponent's score goes up instead (in a head-to-head 1vs1 match, you cannot suicide to prevent the opponent from scoring the final frag). Of course this rule change does not apply to old mods.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:17:20 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Jakash3
Half-Nub

Cakes -9

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 01:23:30 PM »

I give up on openarena
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:57:39 AM by Jakash3 » Logged

zeroth
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 03:31:01 PM »

Quote from: Jakash3
If you would actually play the game, you would understand.

Obviously, you don't understand the concept: IT"S A DAMN GAME. I've played against you, C++, (and my forum name is the same as my gaming name), and you are good, but what does it prove to slaughter a bunch of mediocre players (I being one of many that play on ciggaweed). Why don't you turn your handicap down, if you are so good? If you are that competitive, join a clan and play on their private servers. Otherwise, shut the hell up. ciggaweed is the only FFA server to consistently have more than two players, and you want to trash them for some slight to your ego. "Waaaaah! I didn't come in first, cause some player suicided."

Man up, and FRAG ON...

That which kills me, only makes me try harder.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 03:58:18 PM »

The developers are wasting their time making this game for these selfish and abusive players.
You could apply that to about every fps game out there really. I've seen incidents where admins of Left4Dead2 servers were able to unbind every key of a player they didn't like.

Also i'm only really doing it for the art, not for some sense of empowerment. So don't blame the devs!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:13:19 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 12:57:18 AM »

f you are that competitive, join a clan and play on their private servers.
This sounds like a nice idea.

Playing with your own DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OpenArena_Clan_Roster]Clan members should give you the chance to play with other "serious" people, instead of casual players, noobs and lamers.
If someone would get the habit of ruining other people's playing, he would be kicked from the Clan, so he would not disturb on that private server anymore.

PS: I've just played some matches on Ciggaweed server. Most of them were won by C++... on some maps I performed quite bad, but in am_galmevish I ended up fourth out of something like 12 players or more, and I consider it a good result. What can I say? In that server, due to having a quite large number of players, when playing in small maps (or maps with narrow corridors and small rooms) it can result too chaotic... but in general I liked playing there, although it still runs the old 0.8.1 release.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:43:27 AM by Gig » Logged

Jakash3
Half-Nub

Cakes -9

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 02:04:37 AM »

I give up on openarena
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:57:46 AM by Jakash3 » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 02:44:32 AM »

Taking a look to this thread,
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3823.0

It seems that error may be caused by old binaries. Are you sure you are using 0.8.5 or 0.8.8 binaries (openarena.exe)?

Jakash3
Half-Nub

Cakes -9

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »

I give up on openarena
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:57:50 AM by Jakash3 » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 03:41:18 AM »

Quite strange. I would suggest you to try using a clear configuration file (renaming q3config.cfg to something else, then trying again: the game will create a new configuration file) or a clear "homepath" folder (you can try renaming it, so the game will create a new one), or even a clear "basepath" folder (reinstall the game).

I forgot to ask you which OS are you using. If you are using Linux, where did you get the game from? From official OA site or from a Linux repository?

However, I read for the linked thread, that another reason may be the kind of NAT/PAT applied by your router.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 05:02:37 AM by Gig » Logged

Color
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 02:32:53 AM »

Ciggaweed isn't the only server with players.. Maybe one of only DM server with players.. But you can play TDM or CTF, it's way more fun and challenging than DM..

I would agree that this is a big thumbs down for Ciggaweeds server, I played on it few times and whenever I played a space map, if I got enemies on low hp they would just jump off the platform and die denying my score.. I was 1st once and I got like 5 kills denied in row so I just left the server.. That server isn't competitive, it's just all about luck, if you will get a kill or not depends more on your enemies choice (if they will deny your kill or not) than it depends on your skill.

Ciggaweeds server sucks! I don't even see why people play there.. You air rocket somebody on space map and he falls off the platform and you don't get the kill !

Hopefully you fix the problem you are having with connecting to the other servers and end up playing a serious server Smiley

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 03:49:51 AM »

Ciggaweeds server sucks! I don't even see why people play there.. You air rocket somebody on space map and he falls off the platform and you don't get the kill !
"DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Award_pushing]Award pushing" is a feature that was not included in the original q3 game, and it's enabled by default only since OA 0.8.5 (and that server is still using 0.8.1).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:44:29 AM by Gig » Logged

EvilDrBrain
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 12:38:18 PM »

Hi all. This is my first post so I’d like to start with a big ‘Thank you!’ to all the OA community and developers who have spent long hours making this game great. Keep up the good work!

As for Ciggaweed, I’ve been a regular player there and an admin for nearly 3 years now, so I kinda feel the need to speak up a bit in my home server’s defense.

I’d describe Ciggaweed as an ‘entry level’ server with a simple gametype that can be enjoyed both by newcomers to the game, as well as old veterans who want to catch a quick round or two of OA after work.

The low level of competitiveness suits the player base well, as it eases pressure on new players and gives them a chance to learn the game at their own pace, and it also provides more experienced players an almost constantly populated server to pop in and out of whenever they want. Also, despite its reputation, Ciggaweed is well moderated every day, by at least one of multiple admins (the higher population of new players makes things like aimbots a higher threat).

With that being said, though, there are a handful of ‘trolls’ that frequent the server, who are for the most part longtime players themselves and often spend more time goofing off than playing seriously. Super-competitive players sometimes find these people annoying because of their lackadaisical approach to the game, hence the creation of threads like this one.

As it has been suggested, if serious competition is what you are looking for, try joining a clan (there ARE a few active ones left), and play on its servers, or else move on to a more competitive gametype. Or try bringing complaints to the server owner (MarquisDeSade in this case) or an admin rather than a public forum that has no control over individual servers.

TL;DR: Ciggaweed has helped far more people than it has hurt, and it hardly seems fair to bash the whole server just because someone lost a match. Suck it up and win the next one.

Here to chew bubblegum and nuke base.
zeroth
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 05:04:52 PM »

I played on it few times and whenever I played a space map, if I got enemies on low hp they would just jump off the platform and die denying my score.. I was 1st once and I got like 5 kills denied in row so I just left the server.. That server isn't competitive, it's just all about luck, if you will get a kill or not depends more on your enemies choice (if they will deny your kill or not) than it depends on your skill.

So, the fact that n00bs play on this server, with space maps being some of the most difficult due to falling or accidentally jumping off, means that people are intentionally denying you frags.  Roll Eyes Simply refer to prior posts, and common sense: if you don't like it play somewhere else. Do you really think people are awed when you come in first? Do they care at all?

TL;DR: Ciggaweed has helped far more people than it has hurt, and it hardly seems fair to bash the whole server just because someone lost a match. Suck it up and win the next one.

Thanks for that EvilDrBrain. I play on ciggaweed almost daily and have noticed the full range of player behavior. The 'trolls' seem rare, though you are correct about the whimsical nature of some, I just don't see them as motivated to disrupt another player.

I can't wait to get flamed by some "camper"; I occasionally make it my mission to dislodge campers, at the expense of my score.

That which kills me, only makes me try harder.
Color
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 08:48:05 AM »

@Zeroth

So the fact that I said that people intentionally denied my frags means I'm lying and it was actually noobs who didn't know how to play and didn't know that jumping off platform denies kill, and apparently didn't know that walking off platform kills them ? Are you trying to insult my intellect with your banal statement ?
I think I made it pretty clear that I don't play this server, so you don't need to lecture me. And what exactly part of your quote is making you think that I was expecting people to be awed when I come on the server ?

And just to make it more clear for you since you obviously don't get it..

They didn't walk off by accident while being next to edge, they ran towards the edge and jumped off intentionally, they weren't even near edge when I started shooting them, and there were better places for them to escape from my attack, while staying alive.

Here's a exmaple
Wrackdm17 map, I had rifle and I was shooting guy close to the teleport, he was shooting at people on the other side, and when I got good amount of shots on him, he ran and jumped off the platform, probably with less than 20 hp.. I wasted most of my ammo..
Then there was this guy I was fighting with gun (we both had guns), and he had some good shots on me, but I shoot him twice, and he just turned around and jumped off, I couldn't kill him since the delay.. In this case he took most of my hp, wasted my gun ammo and denied my frag.

Still it doesn't matter if the player is good or bad..

I hate how the skilled shots aren't rewarding in some cases

For example I had this happen to me,
Wrackdm17 map, guy is jumping with rail from the side platform (he is actually not killable when performing that jump) if you hit him with rail or rocket, in my case I hit him with rocket I was really proud of my shot, but he just fell off and I didn't get anything from hitting such accurate shot, except I lost ammo.

Jewjitsu
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 11:35:04 PM »

With all the time spent crying about OpenArena, you could be spending the time practicing your skills so you won't need to come on a forum whining about it. Color, your last post is the biggest offender, but there's many more in this thread. Have fun you tools, it's a game.
Color
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 04:19:46 AM »

Why are you guys taking my opinion about a server so personal ? I'm not offending anyone when I say that the kill denying possibility on Ciggaweed server is a big thumb down for the server.
Or when I say Ciggaweed server sucks, I'm not insulting any player nor anyone personally..

I was offended with Zeroths statement about my judgement being false (making me look like a liar) and somehow coming out arrogant ? So in last post I did defend myself, wouldn't you ?.. His post wasn't about server it was about me.. I didn't insult anyone personally, and I don't have anything against any of you.

I think none of you aren't being real about the issue, you are just protecting the server without putting any thinking into it and taking my opinion about it personal.

And don't worry about my skill ^^, for the issue I'm pointing out, skill is irrelevant

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 04:51:22 AM »

Color, it seems Zeroth finds unprobable that people purposedly jumps off the map just to prevent you from scoring a point. This does not necessarily mean that he thinks you are "lying", but he may think that you may have misunderstood.

I can guess maybe he has not played against the same people you were playing (or he played against them in non-space maps), and so he may have not noticed this particular (lamer) behavior from them.

What about starting recording a demo, when you will encounter these (lamer or noob) players again?

However, suiciding is a stupid thing in any way, do to the fact the suicide guy will lower his own score by doing it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:55:13 AM by Gig » Logged

Jewjitsu
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 06:58:55 AM »

Color is clearly lying and exaggerating. Look at the backpedaling, clarification and mistaken assumption that anyone takes him seriously whatsoever.
Color
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 09:48:26 AM »

Color is clearly lying and exaggerating. Look at the backpedaling, clarification and mistaken assumption that anyone takes him seriously whatsoever.

Anyone with IQ above 40 would take me seriously since I'm obviously pointing out a big problem this server has, and not only I noticed the problem but OP as well, and probably many more..

If I was as shallow as you I would say you are defending and trying to keep this problem just so you could continue abusing it, you do seem like the type of person who would jump off the platform and deny a kill.

Calling me a liar is really low and a desperate attempt to make it look like the problem isn't there. You are delusional.

@Gig sorry but I'm not gonna bother making demos of the server, since I don't really care, and I am not gonna waste my time on there.. Plus majority is happy with the problem, even though it was actually fixed in OA 0.8.5 they don't seem to even think of it as a problem. Therefor my investigation would be pointless.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:53:12 AM by Color » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: