Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1130913 times)
zeroth
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #875 on: July 11, 2013, 07:32:48 PM »

@Gig: I tried udestruction v9 earlier today. I like the enhancements. I already liked the map from prior versions, but v9 is improved!!! I only played FFA with 7 or 8 bots. I normally play with my graphics low-med, but I cranked everything up for this test-drive. Lighting was spot on without tweaking gamma. Good mix of light and dark areas. Even with the healthy supply of weapons and ammo, there are some spots where it would be possible to run low in a serious melee and have no nearby re-supply.

Well done.

Now that I've downloaded beta 3, time to frag some bots...

That which kills me, only makes me try harder.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #876 on: July 11, 2013, 08:40:12 PM »

Sometimes I wonder what I could do to improve the thing, but I don't really map.

A detail texture adding pass to all the shaders? Dunno... also i'd have to do it with the "lightmap stage first then detail stage second" method for the optimization. Late realizations suck.

Adding PowerVR hacks to shaders? Maybe.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
zeroth
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #877 on: July 11, 2013, 10:38:28 PM »

Okay, spent awhile playing through with a custom maplist a few times. All the maps play well. Thanks all!

Granted, I only played FFA (so far) with bots, but I think I put the maps to a good test.

As to the next map pack.  Wink

Two requests:

1. A cockroach map. I admit to a bit of nostalgia on this. Playing UT2K4 there were quite a few well made cockroach maps. Having just one in a map rotation can break some monotony.

2. A low-grav map, specifically, on the lines of UT-Morpheus. This was (and may still be) a very popular map design. One of my UT favorites. Not saying to copy it (though that would be kewl), but the idea has a different playability. I was reminded of this by Akom's low-grav map!

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #878 on: July 12, 2013, 12:24:57 AM »

Thank you Neon_Knight for those two useful links. I'll have to try them when I will return from holidays...
I suppose they could be upoloaded to a server that does not require registering for downloading, and linked in DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_resources_%26_tutorials]Mapping resources & tutorial page.

Thank you Zeroth for feedback.  Smiley
Probably it's better if you may repeat requests for new maps when "OACMP volume 2" thread will be started... Of course someone may already start working on them. By the way, what's a "cockroach map"? Huh I have no idea!

Fromhell, I don't know what to tell you, except this: considering you are a modeller (the only one OA modeller, I fear), you may make a few md3 models to be included in some maps, maybe for volume 2, or even for volume1 if there is some time (example: I'd like to place a small "climber, creeper" plant next to a wall of the BFG building... although I don't know if that would really fit). There is a "mapmodels" thread here. I don't know if any volume1 map does contain any md3 model (except those that automatically come with gma entities, of course), but I fear not. I may not remember correctly, but maybe Akom once asked some help about how to place existing OA models inside the map, but noone answered.

PS: I've just added item 26) to the changelog list of udestructionV09, I forgot to write it before.

PPS: I've just made my first post-version09 fix to my map. Playing in Overload mode, I noticed that bots too rarely go near to the red obelisk, so I just added some more item_botroam in that area.

PPPS: First tests with OACMPBeta3:
Jan's DM2: Tried in Overload mode, I can confirm the bug of bots that shoot at you does not happen anymore in that map.  Smiley However, there is still the problem of some teleporters that will very likely cause you to fall down from the platform they are placed on (when exiting a teleporter, you receive a push forward).  Sad

Akom's DM4: tried in FFA mode. The invulnerability seems nice in a spaceship-themed map, also due to the fact its model reminds me a little "Death Star" from Star Wars.  Cheesy
I think some more maps from Akom may be listed for TDM and Elimination modes (most notably, oa_akomDM3 !!! Maybe also DM1 may fit.).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:37:17 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #879 on: July 12, 2013, 02:47:46 AM »

A few more tests:
Jan's DM1: Starting it in DD mode, initial "telefrag" happened. Same happened also in FFA: probably more spawn points are needed! I'd suggest to place at least 12-16 FFA spawn points in maps (in my map, I placed about 22 of them)...

Moixie's ctf map: I didn't thought that, but it seems it's quite playable and funny also with a single Domination point...  Smiley

Moixie's ffa map: It has got that problem with 125 Hz physics (lower jump-pads send you slightly off-target)... Players can use arrow keys to compensate the problem... but I don't know when playing online... Just a thought: considering the size, maybe that map may be named as a "tourney" instead of "dm"?

My map: the static part of the button lacks the "func_static" that should hide it in Elimination and LMS modes. Strange, I thought I fixed that before... You will find this fixed in V10. Question: should I remove the door of the city entrance also in Elimination CTF mode?
Other change: I've just added a second grappling hook, next to the city entrance, and set "wait" time for both at 25 seconds.

Akom's CTF1: May have done a try of creating the .aas file with -grapplereach option, maybe?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:58:25 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #880 on: July 12, 2013, 06:49:47 AM »

1. A cockroach map. I admit to a bit of nostalgia on this. Playing UT2K4 there were quite a few well made cockroach maps. Having just one in a map rotation can break some monotony.

2. A low-grav map, specifically, on the lines of UT-Morpheus. This was (and may still be) a very popular map design. One of my UT favorites. Not saying to copy it (though that would be kewl), but the idea has a different playability. I was reminded of this by Akom's low-grav map!
For now we're polishing the maps for the Vol.1, but you can ask for such requests in Vol.2 once we're done with Vol.1.

Oh, BTW, Gig, I've finally found the BFG in your map. Tongue Pretty cool way to hide an item.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #881 on: July 12, 2013, 07:27:24 AM »

I've done a quick test of all the maps in ugly vertex light + powervr mock mode. Most of the maps look great in vertexlight (especially the jg ones, where vertexlight kinda makes them look like Doom64 maps) and there's very little shader artifacts in powervr mock mode, so minimal changes could be done to a few shaders to make them 'blend' on powervr properly - namely, those egyptian green glowing textures that are additively blended can have a "//PVRHACK alphahack add" in the additive stages (before the map shader command!) and the fading jumppad effect on the jg maps could just gain an alphaGen wave in addition to its rgbGen wave.

As for the "cockroach map" you're referring to those maps such as all those Padmaps right?  Would be interesting to have some sort of WoP tribute. maybe.  But which room?  A kitchen with a kitchen sink that shreds, a toaster that's a jump pad, and a freezer? A lavatory where we have the toilet of death that has a bfg in there at the risk of being flushed, as well as a huge mirror?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:38:40 AM by fromhell » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #882 on: July 12, 2013, 08:04:39 AM »

Gig, here're the links for bspc and q3map2build:
(adding later, forgot to pack something)

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
zeroth
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #883 on: July 12, 2013, 10:00:23 AM »

Sorry to get ahead of the schedule. I failed to focus on the BETA part of the map pack.

@fromhell: Yes, those sound like "cockroach" maps. The only one I've found so far for OA is called reqkitchen.

Now I'll stay out of the way unless I find something worth mentioning about a Vol 1 map.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #884 on: July 12, 2013, 10:23:15 AM »

Well, if you want, give us feedback about the maps of the pack. =)

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #885 on: July 12, 2013, 10:28:56 AM »

Well, if you want, give us feedback about the maps of the pack. =)

I agree with that, another beta-tester is welcome !!  Grin

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #886 on: July 12, 2013, 10:45:08 AM »

Hello people!

This is going to be my LAST post for about 10 days...
When I will return from holidays, I will require some time to keep up with the news... Smiley

@Neon_Knight: I will try that stuff later... in the meanwhile, I suppose you may add those links to the wiki "mapping resources". About the wiki, I noticed that the maps-gametypes table in the OACMP page does not list my map for EliminationCTF, Overload and Harvester modes, that are supported instead. I'm writing from cell phone, could you please fix it?

@Zeroth. I saw at least one of such "kitchen" maps. Those maps are funny to see, I can imagine that one located into a bedroom, toilet, or similar could be nice oacmp volume 2. But you would need a mapper more skilled and faster than me for a such job. IF I will make a map for volume 2, I suppose I may make only a very small and simple Tourney map (and I have already a precise idea for it, although I don't know if that will work at all... finishing a very small map that Akom started for me -following my drawings- maaaany years ago, but there were some tech problems with it and maybe it totally sucks. I should still have the .map file, but it's many years I don't open it or launch the map... Akom, if you remember it, don't tell them about it for the moment. I will not further annoy you with details now, I can only say that the ability to actually finish that map or not mostly depends from the limits of the "foggy" shaders. Playability problems could be related to it being too small, instead.... so I don't know if that idea will have a future or not.)... I cannot spend again all the time I've spent on Udestruction!

@All. Goodbye for now guys! See you soon! Smiley

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #887 on: July 12, 2013, 11:18:24 AM »

Hello people!

This is going to be my LAST post for about 10 days...
When I will return from holidays, I will require some time to keep up with the news... Smiley

Goodbye for now guys! See you soon! Smiley

Goodbye Gig. Enjoy your Holydays and think at another new great map !! Tongue Cheesy Cheesy

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #888 on: July 12, 2013, 12:38:05 PM »

Have a nice vacation Gig, and don't worry if we'll move second Domination point to the roof Wink
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #889 on: July 12, 2013, 06:12:51 PM »

Ohio.

So I was messing with my Red Alert 2 mod (which is the reason I disappeared) earlier this day and set it up for tomorrow's to-do and was wondering what to do now when Winamp started playing Quake 3's sonic2... and then I dusted off my OpenArena install and went here to check what's new, then seeing as this is the only thing going here atm... I simply just gave a run to all the DMs in it with bots.

AkomDM1 was interesting tho I somehow couldn't really get the hang of it (maybe because I lagged due to having a wriong config - lag disappeared after I enabled GLExt, tho that only happened on AkomDM2)
AkomDM2 felt a better dm17-inspired map than most DM17 maps I played. Honestly, I never liked dm17, never got why it's so populat, but this one actually 'told' me why. Either way, I like that one. Fast, furious, deadly.
AkomDM3 was a wow. The map's style reminded me a bit to Serious Sam 1. The textures and the layout are amazing, I didn't thought that OA already has Egyptian marking for the walls and such. The hidden room was also wow... because I fired it's entrance  from instinct... and mind you, I still fail in this entire genre. punched
AkomDM4. AkomDM4. GOD. THE. HOMAGE. It's so sad that jute's tracks can't add the feeling it deserves... but idea is grandiose and even Invulnerability wasn't superOP on that map. I clap my hands.
AkomDM5 was fast-paced and interesting. I like those flares,. Very well made.
MX1dm5... I didn't even notice the shotgun at first... but it's so simple that it makes me smile how well it works. Maybe there's too much ammo, but the design is nice.
jgdm1... after it loaded I felt I'm Mario. It was after the first 4 Akoms and I so muxch missed the music. On the other hand it does feel a bit more cartoony than most maps within this game. But I liked it.
Tho jgdm2 and jgdm3 I didn't. They seem wide and open to me... maybe too much. I like the visuals tho. Overall, I feel the jgdnm maps would certainly need some kind of music to add in, and they feel quite unique in the map pool, kinda reminds me to pulchr's simple-colored CTF map. That's good IMO... and I guess jgdm2 and jgdm3 are just not my style afterall. Kudos to the jumppads tho, I like that directing style.
And Under Destruction... GOD. That's my favourite. Certainly, that is. I did have some lag spikes on it but that probably was that I still haven't tweaked my config ultimately (or just the fact that the map is SUCH COOL to kill an Athlon II x3 450 Cheesy) The fact that it was made by Gig was something I only noticed when I started writing this summary. I'm totally amazed.

Overall, I think the pack is great already, and what I really missed was only music from the jgdms... it was cool to actually dust off the memories regarding this game with this mappack.

When I logged in to write this post, I noticed the PM I got last week from Gig regarding the Grappling hook. As far as I remember I didn't seen titbits of the code of it's usage. I won't promise anything (I have failed miserably with my coding promises in these last 3 years) but if I'll have time I take a look into it.... I don't even promise that I'll be a regular again, but I'll try to step in a weekly basis if not more. Sorry, but I have a summer job, two uni projects, one Red Alert 2 coding project, and can't-even-count how many RA2 mods which I was invited into.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #890 on: July 12, 2013, 07:48:27 PM »

Reading the egyptsoc shader has a disclaimer. Is sock aware of this pack using his stuff?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #891 on: July 12, 2013, 08:56:40 PM »

Apparently...

Anyway, if we couldn't make use of those textures... what alternatives do we have?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 09:01:34 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #892 on: July 12, 2013, 09:59:35 PM »

I've updated my server with OACMP beta 3 - 78.27.177.68 port 93
I've changed game type for Udestruction map to Double Domination (initially it was Elimination). Game type for other CTF maps remain to be CTF, should I change it to something else? They all support almost all gametypes.

Edit: I've found a bug in MX2DM5, you can fall through the staircase.
MX3CTF8 became more interesting.
OA_AKOMDM1 is still too dark.
Other maps are all OK.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:00:25 PM by pelya » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #893 on: July 12, 2013, 10:32:31 PM »

Here's a .shader file with detail stages for the egyptsoc textures.   Hopefully this file is an example of how detail textures should be applied to a shader.

I gave it a oa3_textures_ syntax for another future example. I also wonder how well this would work out with existing maps that use the same egyptsoc textures
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:42:21 PM by fromhell » Logged

zeroth
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #894 on: July 13, 2013, 03:35:29 PM »

Confirmed bug in mx2dm5. Appears to be possible to fall through on both sides of all 4 stairs. There is just enough of a gap between the top stair and the wall. Should be fixable by simply extending top stair in both directions. Don't see that such a fix would impact overall look of the map.

Update: Found a slight glitch in oa_akomdm1. It is possible to get temporarily stuck on top of the coffins on the lower level. At the back corner of each coffin I was able to become stuck. No obvious architectural problem, must be the coffin itself.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 09:04:58 PM by zeroth » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #895 on: July 13, 2013, 11:51:06 PM »

Update: Found a slight glitch in oa_akomdm1. It is possible to get temporarily stuck on top of the coffins on the lower level. At the back corner of each coffin I was able to become stuck. No obvious architectural problem, must be the coffin itself.

Fixed, thank you  Tongue Grin

@Pelya: What do you mean for "too dark" for oa_akomdm1 ?? Maybe it's your settings ? I mean, nobody tell me that it's too dark and i see it normal on my PC, but i can be wrong Tongue

Wink
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:39:02 AM by Akom74 » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #896 on: July 14, 2013, 10:19:02 AM »

Well yes, I'm setting my monitor brightness to the minimum, so if other people do not complain, I won't complain too. Other oa_akomdm maps have more balanced brightness level though, and in oa_akomdm1 it's mainly dark in the upper corridors, it's brighter at the center (however that won't matter if you select Cyber-Garg and Rai bots, they are visible everywhere).
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #897 on: July 14, 2013, 12:07:24 PM »

Well yes, I'm setting my monitor brightness to the minimum, so if other people do not complain, I won't complain too. Other oa_akomdm maps have more balanced brightness level though, and in oa_akomdm1 it's mainly dark in the upper corridors, it's brighter at the center (however that won't matter if you select Cyber-Garg and Rai bots, they are visible everywhere).

No problem Pelya, i was thinking to rebuild the map's light, but now i think to leave like it is....
....for the moment Tongue Tongue .....

Thanks for beta-testing !!  Grin

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #898 on: July 15, 2013, 06:10:13 AM »

So far, no big issues aside of mx2dm5 and the stairs problem. Very good. Maybe after this can we release RCs?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #899 on: July 15, 2013, 09:14:54 AM »

So far, no big issues aside of mx2dm5 and the stairs problem. Very good. Maybe after this can we release RCs?

yes, maybe. No problem for me......  Tongue Grin

Wink

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: