Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1130811 times)
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #1200 on: December 06, 2013, 06:54:58 AM »

Don't touch the lights then, it can be fixed by adjusting monitor brightness after all.
Pics 1-3 is the area I'm talking about. Pic 4 compares the map screenshot to the actual gameplay with default brightness, there is difference as you see.
Shiny efect on columns is, well, I don't think old stone can be this shiny and this bright.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1201 on: December 06, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »

Finally i've sended the final map-pack to Neon_Knight.

Now i'm waiting for his response.

Updates:

1) Removed non-GPL textures from Babel folder.
2) Fixed some skybox issues and relative Shader file.
3) Modified some map for little bugs i noticed.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1202 on: December 06, 2013, 07:46:03 AM »

Pack received.

I want people to see this post, bearing in mind that this pack has been in development for over a year:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4679.msg49053#msg49053

"When it's done" is not an option anymore.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #1203 on: December 06, 2013, 07:54:51 AM »

December 31-st, 23:59 Alaska time?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1204 on: December 06, 2013, 11:11:29 AM »

Don't touch the lights then, it can be fixed by adjusting monitor brightness after all.
Pics 1-3 is the area I'm talking about. Pic 4 compares the map screenshot to the actual gameplay with default brightness, there is difference as you see.
Shiny efect on columns is, well, I don't think old stone can be this shiny and this bright.

I just checked in my home PC, I had r_gamma set to 1.343. Trying to set it to 1.0, those places effectively may be a bit too dark... but I also noticed that a much more "pro" map than this one, MLCA1, has got some dark areas, maybe they are not a real problem after all? I don't know.  Huh Huh Huh
Just to know, which r_gamma values are you using, guys? (Of course, the final result depends also from other tons of factors, e.g. brightness and constrast set on the monitor itself... but just to have a vague idea about how people keep r_gamma)

About the columns, they shine due to being thought made in precious marble instead of standard stone. Of course, the question about "who may be keeping the marble so clean (with wax?) in a such place? " is open to debate.... but of course, reality isn't the core of OA...

However, if I manage to find some time in the next week, I may make some try to use a darker texture and/or remove the shiny effect (but I like how the shiny effect applies to the various faces of the columns!). But I can't promise anything, because I may be busy with real rife.

PS: I have no idea about the reason why when taking screenshots, brightness in the .jpg file may appear very different than while playing... Maybe the game manages gamma as a sort of post-production effect? Also considering that OA gamma applies to the whole screen also when playing in windowed mode...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 11:24:51 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1205 on: December 06, 2013, 12:30:35 PM »

Sago suggested that players should be visible in any part of the map with r_gamma 1.0, and that if they aren't in one, then it's the mapper's fault.

I do agree, however, to not to bother with such stuff, especially at this point, where we're near release.
For OACMP2 we might bear that in mind.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1206 on: December 06, 2013, 12:44:13 PM »

Sago suggested that players should be visible in any part of the map with r_gamma 1.0, and that if they aren't in one, then it's the mapper's fault.

I do agree, however, to not to bother with such stuff, especially at this point, where we're near release.
For OACMP2 we might bear that in mind.
Excuse me Neon_Knight... what's your personal opinion actually playing that map with r_gamma 1.0?
It seems to me they are a little dark, but not really pitch black... I still have to check with bots, but I have to go away now.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1207 on: December 06, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »

Oh, I'm going through all the maps right now.

I'm also finally learning how to use Blender, you know, for modelling.
Hopefully, if I can learn quickly and nothing bad happens, by mid-February I might be able to create my own models for the game.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1208 on: December 07, 2013, 01:57:45 AM »

Hopefully, if I can learn quickly and nothing bad happens, by mid-February I might be able to create my own models for the game.

You mean map-models (for editor) ? Very good !!!

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1209 on: December 07, 2013, 05:18:48 AM »

Yep. That, if my current learning blockade doesn't stop me first. -.-

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1210 on: December 07, 2013, 11:49:04 AM »

You mean map-models (for editor) ? Very good !!!

Wink

Trying the very same these days; so far Blender is a pain if you're used to CAD programs like SolidWorks...

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #1211 on: December 07, 2013, 08:21:51 PM »

PS: I have no idea about the reason why when taking screenshots, brightness in the .jpg file may appear very different than while playing... Maybe the game manages gamma as a sort of post-production effect?
Gamma these days is done by the videocard, i.e. the pixels in the framebuffer have the gamma applied only when the videocard sends them to the monitor.  The game does not do it itself, it merely sends some gamma tables to the videocard.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1212 on: December 10, 2013, 03:09:38 PM »

December 20th will be the content freeze, I'll start then packaging the mappack with whatever has been submitted. December 30th. will be the final and definitive release.

I'll be repeating for the last and definitive time that this pack has been in development for over a year, with at least 9 months of polishing and testing.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:12:02 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #1213 on: December 10, 2013, 05:33:16 PM »

We have final release date, that's awesome. Now I should go fix some bugs in my Android port, to justify additional 60Mb download.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1214 on: December 11, 2013, 05:46:47 AM »

Why don't december 31? Due to real life, I will be offline almost all the time between the RC2 and the final release... even one day more or testing would be useful for me.

I'm quite scared by the fact it's weeks we have no posts from Moixie and Jan...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1215 on: December 11, 2013, 06:51:12 AM »

Oh, no, I'm not going to repeat myself again. I hate repeating myself.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #1216 on: December 11, 2013, 07:41:15 AM »

So we will have side corridor in OAJGCTF1 slightly darker than you would like, but will you hate this map because of that?
We cannot polish it infinitely, we have to stop and make a release at some point.
Besides, only Akom and you still keep up this marathon, other people pretty much burned out their motivation, including me. Also, winter holidays season usually means no free time.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1217 on: December 11, 2013, 07:52:33 AM »

Not that I like to repeat myself, but seriously, probably I will not be able to even DOWNLOAD RC2 before 30 December. So if there is some problem then don't tell "it's Gig's fault", considering it's weeks I told you I will be (almost?) completely unavaliable in the Christmas week. Sorry guys but I have a job and a wife to think about.

We all liked the idea of releasing this pack in 2013, but if this means I'm not able to test rc2 for at least one day, I can't be happy with it. And 31 december would still be 2013, I have no idea about the reason you choose 30 instead of 31 (I can guess you find it more comfortable with your own real life, as we all have a real life).

PS: I don't remember about this dark corridor thing (was it just an example or a real thing?). About Jan and Moixie, they SAID they would have done some fixes in the past weeks, I don't know the reason they disappeared.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:57:07 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1218 on: December 11, 2013, 08:16:16 AM »

We ALL have a life, Gig. I damned myself for not being able to contribute anything, not even feedback, because of my real life constraints. But we already had a whole year to work on this pack.

If it would be by me, this pack would have been released 6 months ago, but almost everyone insisted with the whole "when it's done" thing. "When it's done" sounds good on paper, but it has these consecquences in practice.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:19:35 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1219 on: December 11, 2013, 10:18:45 AM »

Not that I like to repeat myself, but seriously, probably I will not be able to even DOWNLOAD RC2 before 30 December. So if there is some problem then don't tell "it's Gig's fault", considering it's weeks I told you I will be (almost?) completely unavaliable in the Christmas week. Sorry guys but I have a job and a wife to think about.

We all liked the idea of releasing this pack in 2013, but if this means I'm not able to test rc2 for at least one day, I can't be happy with it. And 31 december would still be 2013, I have no idea about the reason you choose 30 instead of 31 (I can guess you find it more comfortable with your own real life, as we all have a real life).

PS: I don't remember about this dark corridor thing (was it just an example or a real thing?). About Jan and Moixie, they SAID they would have done some fixes in the past weeks, I don't know the reason they disappeared.

Gig don't be angry  Tongue, we all have a real life. By the way, we don't need to wait anyone, we have the original map file and can modify it if it's for some little thing, no ? I mean if the original mapper it's busy with other things such as real life, work or something else, no ?

For the corridor thing i think it's this:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4679.msg48668#msg48668

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1220 on: December 12, 2013, 02:04:21 AM »

Gig don't be angry  Tongue, we all have a real life.
I'm not angry (maybe I'm a little frustrated due to the fact time is running out and two developers disappeared... but however I'm not "angry". By the way, for me it would be okay even if they would appear tomorrow and say "Akom, please fix this because I can't."[1].). It's just that, after all this work, not being able to give a look to the final version before it goes public would be unpleasant.

[1]A problem however may be that you are using a different editor than them, and this may bring to potential problems that a few days may be not enough to identify and fix.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 02:19:45 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1221 on: December 12, 2013, 11:17:03 AM »

Gig don't be angry  Tongue, we all have a real life.
I'm not angry (maybe I'm a little frustrated due to the fact time is running out and two developers disappeared... but however I'm not "angry". By the way, for me it would be okay even if they would appear tomorrow and say "Akom, please fix this because I can't."[1].). It's just that, after all this work, not being able to give a look to the final version before it goes public would be unpleasant.

[1]A problem however may be that you are using a different editor than them, and this may bring to potential problems that a few days may be not enough to identify and fix.

....ehm, i'm not telling that i have to fix the maps, i said that we (all) have the original map files, this means that averyone can modify/fix a map. As you know i'm using a different editor and some aspect of the map can change in the final compiled version.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1222 on: December 13, 2013, 03:30:50 AM »

The columns in screenshot are brighter than the other buildings, they do not look old or ruined. Could you change their texture to darker one?

Attached to this post, you can find a test version "udestruction V16 bis" (usage: "/map udestructionv16bis"). Existing Udestruction version required (this package only contains .map, .bsp and .aas).

It's a TEST. Latest "official" version is still V16.
For this test, I simply used the plain textures for those columns, without the shader. I have not modified the texture files, I just used them without the shiny shader.
Those textures are the only change against V16. Only the area near to the BFG is affected by the change.

What do you think about it? Pelya? Others? Should I use this version? Should I do more tests? Should I keep the V16 (shiny) version? I'm not sure... this version may be more fitting the "dusty" feel of the map.... but I like the shiny effect shown in V16... (and the map does contain some other shiny surfaces -temple columns, ruined house floors, podium-, although maybe less noticeable than these columns).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:51:14 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1223 on: December 14, 2013, 10:22:48 AM »

Took a quick run on Akom's maps (except his CTF) and Gig's latest udestruction (plus the bis)

So far, I can call Akom's maps finished and ready to go. No biggies, no glitches.

Gig, those columns seem more natural without the shader. I would call your map finished and ready for release as well.

I'll have a quick run on Moixie's and Jan's maps once they submit them.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1224 on: December 15, 2013, 04:30:38 AM »

Waiting for some other opinion about udestruction V16 or V16bis, I'd like to try to do another quick look to all the maps in the next days. I don't remember, are there updated versions of Jan's and Moixie's maps AFTER RC1? I know there are updated versions of Akom's maps, but only Akom and Neon_Knight have them...

Hey guys, what about final map names? OACMPDM01? OACMPDM1? OACMP1DM01? OACMP1DM1? OACMPDM001? Something else?
I propose OACMPDM1...

I'll have a quick run on Moixie's and Jan's maps once they submit them.
Uh? Did they contact you via PM or something? Do you have any news about them?

PS: What about texture sources? Do we have enough?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:45:32 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: