Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: [MAP] OA_Cargo  (Read 79836 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« on: August 16, 2013, 02:55:41 PM »

-- NEW WORK IN PROGRESS --

OA_Cargo

(Screenshots are  NOT  indicative and may be change from the final version)

This map was builded listening at this:
http://www.youtube.com/v/Je3hc5SPLDU

Grin Grin Grin

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 03:49:57 PM »

I love the idea, but you should definitely try to scramble the containers abit, even putting them on eachother

Maybe a bit of inspiration from this shot:
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 04:14:24 PM »

Thank you for the suggestion  Grin
...but we have to play this map on the ship, if i fill the ship with containers we can't move  Tongue

Anyway i'll make something......
.....soon more screenshots..

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »

Here're some other inspirations:

DM-KGalleon from Unreal Tournament
DM-KBarge from Unreal Tournament III
Derelict from Duke Nukem Atomic Edition

I can't think of other levels inspired by galleons or cargo ships...

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »

there's also a nice cargo map in Black Ops II to draw inspiration from...

BUT OMG CALL OF DUTY EVIL

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 09:52:13 AM »

Happy News guys !!  Grin

Updates:

1) On a side of the ship, i've builded a BIG coreography (not playable).
2) On the other side there's a big wall with an inside store with cranes.
3) Added some containers.
4) Added cranes in the docks.
5) Added AAS file to roam with the BOTs.
6) The water is a big pendulum.
7) Added some items to make the BOTs roam.

Knowed issues:

1) Strangely, BOTs enter in the water but die in there, i've inserted a couple of jumppad for each side of the dock with an entity "bot_roam" in the jumppad, but there is no interest from the bot to escape from the water, Huh .
2) Thw pendulum water have a strange effect when you are in there, tell me if it's a big issue.
3) The skybox is just black.
4) The map have no music and no sound.

Tell me if you find somthing else.

Here is the download link:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/r7r7mhyy8rwcky3hasjl
(Beta version)

Wink

Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 05:30:13 PM »

Hi ,if you are looking for a good cargo type map for inspiration there is one call Hibernia, it is an oil rig type of map but has a good cargo / freight  container part off to one side .
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 05:40:27 AM »

Hi ,if you are looking for a good cargo type map for inspiration there is one call Hibernia, it is an oil rig type of map but has a good cargo / freight  container part off to one side .

Hi, thanks but can you give more ? I mean, a link to follow or an image ?

What about this map ? Do you like it ?

Someone else ?  Tongue

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 06:16:10 AM »

http://lvlworld.com/review/id:1840

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 06:34:15 AM »

Thanks Neon_Knight.

This Hibernia map is amazing !!  Grin
Never seen it before, but i'm glad to see it, unfortunately there's nothing GPLv2'd, or not ?
I like the Helicopter Tongue ...the mapper have to make a lot of try to align the textures.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 06:59:20 AM »

The readme forbids commercial exploitation (one of the four freedoms of GPLv2) and derivatives (another of the freedoms), plus there's no source (required for freedoms 2 and 4), and it states that there's a lot of resources which were copied from somewhere else, so no, nothing GPL there...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 07:32:07 AM »

Well, took a quick look at it. Shows a lot of promise.

Since just praises won't help you in anything, here's my constructive criticism:

- The map is pretty horizontal. Some areas could only be reached by rocketjumping, and have no reward for doing so. What about adding some jumppads in the ship to reach the cargo tops, make the port areas playable (perhaps with bridges connecting both the ship and the ports) and raising the water level and the ship? That should help imrove the gameplay on the map. There's also a lot of cover in the port as well. OFC you should add more weapons as well.
- For the sky, you might create a skybox and enclose the ship's area with gates and a port's extension.
- The water could be made deadly, currently there's no reason to swim, except to reach those jumppads. Or, make it swimmable, and add something below the ship, such as an entrance (remember AS-Frigate from Unreal Tournament, where you could enter to the ship from it's bottom, something like that).

Those were my $0.02 for now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:40:33 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 10:11:16 AM »

Well, took a quick look at it. Shows a lot of promise.

Since just praises won't help you in anything, here's my constructive criticism:

- The map is pretty horizontal. Some areas could only be reached by rocketjumping, and have no reward for doing so. What about adding some jumppads in the ship to reach the cargo tops, make the port areas playable (perhaps with bridges connecting both the ship and the ports) and raising the water level and the ship? That should help imrove the gameplay on the map. There's also a lot of cover in the port as well. OFC you should add more weapons as well.
- For the sky, you might create a skybox and enclose the ship's area with gates and a port's extension.
- The water could be made deadly, currently there's no reason to swim, except to reach those jumppads. Or, make it swimmable, and add something below the ship, such as an entrance (remember AS-Frigate from Unreal Tournament, where you could enter to the ship from it's bottom, something like that).

Those were my $0.02 for now.

Thanks for your feedback, i'll change something, but i don't think i'm able to do that kind of skybox (for now Tongue ).
The jumppads are here to make the bots roam, but it doesent work.....
Yes, i remember AS-Frigate  Grin

Mmmm, maybe i can make the port playable...... stay tuned....

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 10:22:19 AM »

Remember that my main worry is that the level isn't vertical enough. Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 02:49:31 AM »

Quickly tested oa_cargo map.

Nice. Smiley Some suggestions:
- Some jumppads to get on the containers would be welcome.
- What about an opened container, with something inside?
- What about making the docks playable (reachable)?
- The jump-pads in the water make you splat your face against a container, and then fall on the floor. Maybe it may be tweaked some way, to make it nicer.
- What about a way to get on the tower of the ship? Maybe a jump-pad, or maybe through stairs inside or outside the tower?
- What's the "strange effect" you said with water? I noticed that at moments it's difficult to put your head outside of it. Possible workarounds include for example teleporting somewhere else who falls in the water.

Questions:
- Where did you find those container textures? Nice!
- Does someone know what that texture Akom placed under items was originally intended for? I've just seen them used for jump-pads in ps7ctf map...

PS: That Hibernia map looks outstanding (it's really worth a praise), but maybe it's not optimal for Q3 gameplay. I feel there are too few weapons around, some rooms are too small, and I can't understand how in the readme they can say it's for tourney, too (playing with 5 bots, I've had a lot of time before meeting someone).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 03:07:33 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 11:03:38 AM »

It keeps me wondering why only akom74 seems to make that much maps and also releasing them on the forum...

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »

Well, asset creation requires a LOT of patience, something which isn't easy to find nowadays. And maps aren't exempt of this.

I had that mapping spree once I've learnt how to make maps. (There's the tons of am_ maps you see on OA and beyond Tongue) I remember I was releasing a map or version per day once I've learnt how to use the editor. But then stopped or slowed the pace.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 02:43:36 PM »

Quickly tested oa_cargo map.

Nice. Smiley Some suggestions:
- Some jumppads to get on the containers would be welcome.
- What about an opened container, with something inside?
- What about making the docks playable (reachable)?
- The jump-pads in the water make you splat your face against a container, and then fall on the floor. Maybe it may be tweaked some way, to make it nicer.
- What about a way to get on the tower of the ship? Maybe a jump-pad, or maybe through stairs inside or outside the tower?
- What's the "strange effect" you said with water? I noticed that at moments it's difficult to put your head outside of it. Possible workarounds include for example teleporting somewhere else who falls in the water.

Soon a new version with some changes will appear....stay tuned, thanks for suggestions.
Unfortunately with big maps, compiling process give me error calculating the VIS stage, but seems that NETradiant can compile the VIS and theorically all will be fine (i hope).

Questions:
- Where did you find those container textures? Nice!
- Does someone know what that texture Akom placed under items was originally intended for? I've just seen them used for jump-pads in ps7ctf map...

Answers:

- Those textures are from UFOAI (GPL'd)
- The texture above the items is original from OA and it's a Light Tongue

Quote from: Suicizer
It keeps me wondering why only akom74 seems to make that much maps and also releasing them on the forum...

It's because i've "nothing to do" at home Tongue I'm in summer vacation from my work.
Next week i restart work and my time will "disappear" Tongue Cheesy

Quote from: Neon_Knight
Well, asset creation requires a LOT of patience, something which isn't easy to find nowadays. And maps aren't exempt of this.

I had that mapping spree once I've learnt how to make maps. (There's the tons of am_ maps you see on OA and beyond  Tongue) I remember I was releasing a map or version per day once I've learnt how to use the editor. But then stopped or slowed the pace.

Yes, you're right, but i'm mapping for Q3A from 2003 (and i'm not very sure, maybe more than 10 years). In the past i have leave the mapping stuff, but i restart to complete some old maps and the "MOD" Flagraiders, thanks to Gig ...XD...

Now i'm here with all the OA stuff and all damned GPLv2 stuff Tongue Tongue Cheesy   lol !!

Seriously, i hope to give all i can for the community of OA.
I'm not the best, but i try to do something Cheesy

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »

Don't worry, Akom, as I've told you, you and Gig have already done way more for OA than a lot of the so-called "OA saviors/guardians" who claim to be the best of the community, but the only big thing they have is their ego. =)

About GPLv2, it's only until you get used to it. The main thing for GPLv2 is that it allows maintenance, expansion, or whatever, even in the absence of the original creator, hence why you can take OA's assets (maps, code, models, textures, etc) and see how they're made, what can be done to fix/improve them, etc.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 03:00:20 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 03:14:06 PM »

Don't worry, Akom, as I've told you, you and Gig have already done way more for OA than a lot of the so-called "OA saviors/guardians" who claim to be the best of the community, but the only big thing they have is their ego. =)

About GPLv2, it's only until you get used to it. The main thing for GPLv2 is that it allows maintenance, expansion, or whatever, even in the absence of the original creator, hence why you can take OA's assets (maps, code, models, textures, etc) and see how they're made, what can be done to fix/improve them, etc.

Thanks Noen_Knight Cheesy

@Suicizer: as you can see from many of my posts, i'm an old man that jokes Tongue i've nothing against anyone, and all suggestion are welcome. I think you are a player, aren't you ? Well, waiting for Adriano, can you  tell me anything about playability and suggest me how about improve it ? I mean, items placement, hiding spot or other thing that now i don't remember...

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »

UH-OH!
Care to explain which assets exactly have you took?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 11:46:08 PM »

UH-OH!
Care to explain which assets exactly have you took?

Don't worry, here is the official download page (if you want):
Code:
http://ufoai.org/wiki/Download

ALL, sources .map file, textures and other stuff was released under GNU General Public License 2.0 or later. That's mean no problem i think. Maybe Fromhell can be more clear.
....or maybe i've don' understand what you mean Tongue Tongue....XD....

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 04:39:38 AM »

@Suicizer: as you can see from many of my posts, i'm an old man that jokes Tongue i've nothing against anyone, and all suggestion are welcome. I think you are a player, aren't you ? Well, waiting for Adriano, can you  tell me anything about playability and suggest me how about improve it ? I mean, items placement, hiding spot or other thing that now i don't remember...

Wink

@Akom74,
I certainly are an OA/QuakeLive player, but learned a lot of mapping skills on Sauerbraten (which basically uses a pretty Quakish layout and gameplay also). I'm just too lazy to get involved in mapping programs like gtkradiant (which radiant is actually the best/easiest to use of all radiants?). Maybe I'm too much spoiled to have the mapping program integrated in the game itself =S (would be totally awesome if OA also had this).
Anyway, I'm definetly an OA savior (as doing nothing more than commenting), but still are in to do reviews on maps and so (as I do for years within the Sauerbraten community). You certainly have a quite good source of  inspiration which I respect as you don't see that quite often.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:51:44 AM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 05:16:48 AM »

@Suicizer: as you can see from many of my posts, i'm an old man that jokes Tongue i've nothing against anyone, and all suggestion are welcome. I think you are a player, aren't you ? Well, waiting for Adriano, can you  tell me anything about playability and suggest me how about improve it ? I mean, items placement, hiding spot or other thing that now i don't remember...

Wink

@Akom74,
I certainly are an OA/QuakeLive player, but learned a lot of mapping skills on Sauerbraten (which basically uses a pretty Quakish layout and gameplay also). I'm just too lazy to get involved in mapping programs like gtkradiant (which radiant is actually the best/easiest to use of all radiants?). Maybe I'm too much spoiled to have the mapping program integrated in the game itself =S (would be totally awesome if OA also had this).
Anyway, I'm definetly an OA savior (as doing nothing more than commenting), but still are in to do reviews on maps and so (as I do for years within the Sauerbraten community). You certainly have a quite good source of  inspiration which I respect as you don't see that quite often.

Thank you Suicizer, i agree with you. Maybe fromhell can insert an editor (more powerful) in OA3 ? @fromhell: just asking Tongue

I've watched Sauerbraten and i think you mean Cube2:Sauerbraten, am i right ?
However, i like it.

But you don't answered to me, about the playability i mean.
Soon (very soon)  i place here a new version of the map and i like to have more comments about the playability and how increase it.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 06:01:55 AM »

What? A map editor integrated directly into the game? I'm not Fromhell or Sago007, but however I think that's really impractical, for various reasons.
- Would require A LOT of time: working on that would mean having no time for other aspects of development of the game
- There are already map editors (*Radiant) programs... Why another one?
- IIRC, Fromhell wants to make OA3 user interface more friendly also for devices that do not use a mouse. How to map without a mouse?
- Fromhell hypotized some kind of character customization, but of course not an "integrated Blender". At the same way, one might hypotize some way to alter existing maps (e.g. the already supported "disable_" and "replace_" hidden CVARs, to prevent all the items of a certain kind from spawning in the map, or replacing them with something else)... but a complete map editor inside the game really seems to much to me.
- One automatic map generation tool, maybe? Where you just select an approx map size, map theme, how many jump-pads, how many teleports, how many weapons and bonuses, and it automatically/randomly creates a .map file, that you can later fine-tune with a standard .map editor? That would be an huge work anyway, and probably it would better exist as an external tool.
- A simplified map editor for beginners, where you have a simple interface with a series of pre-defined objects that you can place in a grid (like Stunts - 4D Sports Driving track editor)? Nice... that may introduce new people to mapping... but again, I think that would be too much work for our small number of developers. Maybe someone may take the idea and create it as an external tool or as a mod... However, I don't think the problem of OpenArena is the lack of third-party maps to play on...
To sum up, I don't see it as an easy to implement or necessary feature. But I repeat, I'm not Fromhell or Sago.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: