Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick pulse check  (Read 42013 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: February 18, 2008, 03:53:41 AM »

We're not dead. Just extended technical difficulties. The blog posts has more info about it. I'm also going to get rid of some of the 'repulsive' things that are in 0.7.1 and previous versions for the new one. As this project matures closer to 1.0.0,  (0.8.0 would be pretty gawsh darn close to it at least) quality control will be considered further.

Quick SOS call: a model skinner and experienced animator (in blender, no BVH importing just scratch) would be nice.  OA's team (or contributors, rather) aren't paid professionals working full-time, you know. Version 1.0.0 won't be reached by doing nothing.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 11:42:43 AM by fuzztooth » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 05:55:44 PM »

Nearer the summer when I have time away from University, I'll start working on some models & animations. Smiley
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 06:24:02 PM »

One thing that needs to be fixed is Liz's crouch frames, it looks pretty bad.  (Excuse me if it has been fixed already).

I hope you keep Tony, I like that model and his "Forget about it" phrase really makes the game more enjoyable.

Right now Q3DM6ISH is one of my favorite maps (along with OA_PVOMIT), I for one would miss it.  Gameplay is more important than looks, maps like Suspended and OA_SHOUSE look very nice but are not fun to play.
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 12:28:27 AM »

I would like to help in any way I can, however I have extreamly minimal experience with blender. I am thinking maybe watching some of the tutorial videos for blender sometime. I may try to make ctf maps via GtkRadient. Anyway, I am right now focusing on the about section Tongue I will write something for it. I duno how good it would be.. but hey.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 04:15:01 PM by Gerbil » Logged

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 03:31:50 AM »

I would like to help in any way I can, however I have extreamly minimal experience with blender. I am thinking maybe watching some of the tutorial videos for blender sometime, maybe try making ctf maps. Anyway, I am right now focusing on the about section Tongue I will write something for it. I duno how good it would be.. but hey.

If you join the #openarena channel on AnyNet I'll help you with Blender and mapping with it.
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 08:18:14 AM »

If you join the #openarena channel on AnyNet I'll help you with Blender and mapping with it.
I was actually thinking about using GtkRadient for mapping; Ive never used it before, but it cant be that hard hehe. I think it is designed to make q3 maps
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 08:25:50 AM by Gerbil » Logged

he awoke with a frieght
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 08:37:20 AM »

Yes, it is the Q3 map maker.
It sounded like you wanted to make maps in Blender. (which you can)
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 04:14:14 PM »

oh ya, bad punctuation, sorry XD
goes to edit post*

he awoke with a frieght
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 10:24:39 PM »

As this project matures closer to 1.0.0,  <snip> quality control will be considered further.

Does that mean you're going to clarify what is and isn't acceptable?  Removing Stoggi's or whatever the hell he/she/it wants to call him/her/itself ctf map is a start (nice of him/her/it to keep everything together...) but without stating what the art direction is you're still in the same boat. 

Is OpenArena supposed to be a drop in replacement for q3a content or is it going in the direction of OpenQuartz, just free content that isn't really based on id's game?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 11:07:23 PM »

is it going in the direction of OpenQuartz, just free content that isn't really based on id's game?

considering OpenQuartz is the opposite of quality control, then no

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 01:16:19 AM »

considering OpenQuartz is the opposite of quality control, then no

Are we replacing id's textures + shaders with 1:1 remakes or are we allowed to deviate?  This is what I mean by clarifying what is and isn't acceptable.

cubancigar11
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 01:15:27 PM »

I would hope that we stay with the Gothic theme of original Quake3A. If we want to deviate, we have got mods!
aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 07:42:39 AM »

thanks for reopening the forums!

dont let oa die, fromhell. there are so many people who have not lost the interest in this game. maybe you could post some instructions how to contribute with a specific skill ? im sure the community will spread the word after this drastic measure
RoCUnreal
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 10:15:34 AM »

Hello, i am a 3d modeler i am looking to model out meshes for your games charactors guns that sort of stuff,
i am not much for level design, i have been mainly using maya but recently ive been using blender and have the necessary skills
to model,uv mapping and texture the meshes in Photo Shop or Gimp, depending on what apps your team is using for the pipeline.

just pm me if your interested.

RoC)Unreal,
Thanks!
DeathByGuitar
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 11:14:58 PM »

I certainly haven't lost interest in OA by any means. The only thing that's concerned me is the occasional lack of a definite art direction. The general gothic feel of some OA maps really felt good to me, and natural considering how much I've played Q3. Just my two cents, for what it's worth, if anything.
thalamus
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 05:48:54 AM »

I am running a Mac currently and have no experience at making games. Is there anything I can do to help? If hopping into a prog to start mapping and things of that sort aren't too complicated then that'd work. I enjoy this game, don't want it to die, and want to help.
tw3k
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 06:49:13 PM »

I can plug away at some baseq3 texture remakes. Saw that, drop in replacement for baseq3 textures, mentioned on the ioq3 list as well.

The only thing that really struck me about the last OA release that needed improvement was image optimization. q3a is starting to run faster for me simply due to attention paid to optimizing q3a.

lean .  mean . frag'n . machine

Taiyo.uk
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 04:05:03 AM »

I can make some maps for OA over the summer if needed. I've only made a handful of trem maps so far though.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 10:00:20 AM »

Also by the way since this news post I still haven't gathered any artists that stick around so we're still in a situation

Crash!!!
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

hehe...I draw and play

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 01:44:23 PM »

it takes time to make a decent texture pack fromhell lol I am still here but I still need to do the work and life game plus school
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: