Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.8.0 unreleased!  (Read 102053 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: September 18, 2008, 11:37:26 PM »

Apparently it was discovered that one of the contributors have contributed content derived from strictly non-Free content. It made its way into OA 0.8.0's release. This is highly unacceptable, and so, I have pulled the OA080 release files since I don't support the work of thieves and I don't want this release around anymore.
Note that this does not mean the older 0.7.6/7 or 0.7.1 releases are inheriting "current release" status. I will not be providing them here either.
You'll just have to wait until 0.8.1 is released. Apologies in advance for the extra megabytes of bandwidth to use Sad
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 08:45:32 AM by leilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 03:13:50 AM »

Is there a list of the "infected" files (map models, textures)?
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 04:18:26 AM »

Holy crap !

That sucks so few artists are aware of licensing issues and can't take it seriously.

@Peter,
At the moment schism-b2 map for sure, dunno if there is more.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 04:43:59 AM »

Too bad. :/

Is there a possibility to put a 0.8.0 release (i.e. 0.8.0.5) without the stolen material, while we wait for the 0.8.1 release?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
BrainChemistry
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 04:47:55 AM »

Disgusting. Wink

Serious: It's a pity that this means also the honest work of all the other artists can't be shared anymore.
Timedude
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 05:17:45 AM »

Ouch. Didn't see that coming... How log we talking till .8.1?

-Timedude
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 05:58:41 AM »

fromhell you make me have this face: O_o

The cgtextures issue was discussed in http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1901.0 . fromhell was involved in the discussion, she knew about the conflict of the textures possibly not being glp-ok

She also knew that trak said that he got SPECIAL PERMISSION! And that the general terms did NOT apply to his works.

Here's his latest statement: (TRaK's) http://forum.freegamedev.net/index.php?t=msg&th=1332#msg_11487

epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 06:20:11 AM »

Last night Valve called me They said that they wanted me to release half life 2 under gpl. They give me a special permission for the job. But now they pretend it didn't happen Sad
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »

the thing is that fromhell commited hl's source code to the oa svn, knowing that she only had your word. and she didn't ask for proof.

what kind of ways of communication is this anyways, fork? do you have any reason to believe trak is lying? how do you suggest to proove that he is not?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 08:35:01 AM by qubodup » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 08:46:54 AM »

he got SPECIAL PERMISSION!
Special permission is non-Free because when that work is derived into another project, the 'permission' is lacking there.

BrainChemistry
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 08:52:16 AM »

Quote from: qubodup
The cgtextures issue was discussed in http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1901.0 . fromhell was involved in the discussion, she knew about the conflict of the textures possibly not being glp-ok

I read the topic now and I can't see any problem there. The original source files (the photos) were modified by TRaK to suit the agreement between him and CGtextures.com to change the license to GPL. TRaK then applied the GPL to the modified photos. Now I would consider the GPL'ed files as the "GPL source". Of course derivative works must be based upon the "GPL source" files and must not be based upon the original photos (even if this is unfavourable because of lower resolution).

EDIT: Oh sorry, overlooked this thread (http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2306.0) were is made clear that the textures WERE NOT permitted to get GPL'ed.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 10:23:12 AM by BrainChemistry » Logged
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 09:01:04 AM »

he got SPECIAL PERMISSION!
Special permission is non-Free because when that work is derived into another project, the 'permission' is lacking there.
Of course the derived does not have the 'permission' because it does not need the 'permission' because ARTIST A got 'permission' to release OBJECT O under GPL.

Valve could give me special permission to release one of their HL2 models under GPL and it would be GPL, but there also would be the unfree version of the model in HL2. Just like you can get the quake engines in free and unfree form.

Ignore me though, BrainChemistry explained it much better.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 10:11:59 AM »

if people actually liked the maps, jack thompson could probably flat the offending textures.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 11:02:38 AM »

I liked Schism, it reminds me one of my favourite UT maps, Shrapnel][.
I would retexture both maps, (schism and q3dm6ish) but guess I would make it crappy. :/

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 01:24:57 PM »

I only now realize that the people who think that trak intensionally lied, cannot imagine that THE SAME THING IS AVAILABLE UNDER DIFFERENT CONDITIONS TO TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE

Remember the quake 3 engine? It's available under different conditions to different people. You didn't know? OMG. Look!

The textures were offered to trak under gpl terms.

They were NEVER offered to ANYONE else under gpl terms. this is possible, this is real.

At least this is what trak said and you have never asked for proof...

epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 02:05:50 PM »

I only now realize that the people who think that trak intensionally lied, cannot imagine that THE SAME THING IS AVAILABLE UNDER DIFFERENT CONDITIONS TO TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE

Remember the quake 3 engine? It's available under different conditions to different people. You didn't know? OMG. Look!

The textures were offered to trak under gpl terms.

They were NEVER offered to ANYONE else under gpl terms. this is possible, this is real.

At least this is what trak said and you have never asked for proof...
probably you have faith in trak so go ahead and ask the guys at cgtextures and save your friend.
stop crying the same words while running in circles.
I wonder why fromhell believed him, though
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 02:50:48 PM »

f0rqu3,

i'm waiting for reply from trak atm - guess he went to sleep. tomorrow then

PS: nah. it's really stupid how people instantly think that if cgtextures doesn't allow everybody to use their stuff under gpl means that they definitely didn't give exclusive permission to anybody.

and you are the first to say "let him prove his innocence." thank you very much.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:54:28 PM by qubodup » Logged

qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 05:09:04 PM »

TRaK asked me to convey the following information to you. I asked for permission to post his email directly, which is why it took so long to reply.

Hi qubodup,

First off, I want to thank you for alerting me of this situation. Had you not contacted me, I would know nothing about it.

I even spoke directly to fromhell in irc about confirming the validity of the textures for OA before posting in the commit thread. I was always very clear that I had spoken directly to the cgtextures owner about allowing GPL.

I just sent him an email, hopefully I will hear from him soon. I decided to temporarily remove the download links out of respect to cgtextures, because I am no longer certain what the legal status of my textures is. If the owner does indeed confirm that my texture are not/are no longer GPL, I will remove them from my website and contact any mirrors I know of to remove them because it's the only right thing to do.

Anyways, if a large portion of the foss community thinks my textures are not gpl, then I don't want to mislead mappers into using these textures because they are gpl, only to find out that they are deemed invalid for some reason. If the issue is resolved positively, I'll put the packs back up.

The large majority of the textures on cgtextures were taken by the owner. I'm pretty sure that every source image I used was taken by him.

By the way, if fromhell needs help isolating my material in the oa distribution, any texture starting with babel-, trak_, trak2_, and trak3_ is mine and possibly contains cgt content. The only maps I know of that use the textures are schism-b2 and q3dm6ish_v2, which are both mine. Also, seeing as I'm banned from the oa forums, I would appreciate it if you could convey my apologies to anyone who has lost/must redo work due to this whole mess. Only if you want to, though, as I'm thinking that might irritate fromhell a bit.

Thanks for your effort in mediating this situation,
TRaK

PS: this means we wait for a reply from the cgtextures people.

And if they say "yes it is okay" then fromhell has to figure out how she wants this prooven to her.

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 05:31:20 PM »

Why is he banned?

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 05:51:49 PM »

Why is he banned?
he is one of those emos deleting his accounts, maybe
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 05:52:20 PM »

no he was banned

f0rqu3: you why did you say that? you have no reason to assume that he did delete his account and obviously didn't even check. participate in the discussion please by other means than saying 'maybe this'
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 05:54:30 PM by qubodup » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 06:02:08 PM »

He didn't deleted his account, it was banned.
Every banned on the forum has this avatar and a custom title above it:

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 06:04:55 PM by Armageddon_Man » Logged

TRaK.
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 07:22:06 AM »

Hello everyone,

First off, let me say that the only reason I am avoiding my forum ban is to clear up this matter, which I think it is fair to say has been a lose-lose for pretty much everyone involved at this point.

Back in march or so, I did contact the owner of cgtextures about permission to license textures derived from source material on cgtextures.com as GPL. At the time, he accepted, and so I went ahead and released my textures as GPL. Due to this latest controversy, I contacted him again and he reiterated that he has given me permission to license my textures as GPL, and that I can still distribute my textures under those terms.

I asked him for permission to post the contents of his email here, but he would prefer it if a member of the OA dev team (i.e: fromhell) contacted him via email (support(.a.t.)cgtextures(_dot_com)) for confirmation. I think this would probably be the best way to clear things up, especially considering you have no way of verifying the veracity of anything I post here short of asking him about it.

I rather you'd just post that I had already given you permission to use the textures under GPL previously and that this permission still remains.

You can always have a OpenArena developer contact me to confirm, that would probably be best.

In an earlier part of the email he also asked me to extend his apologies to the OA community over this unnecessary drama.

fromhell, I understand that you're not a big fan of emailing, but in the interest of all involved, especially the OA community, I think this whole matter should be cleared up as soon as possible.

I'm not sure if proving that I did indeed have permission from the cgtextures owner will solve all of the issues you seem to have with the licensing of my textures, but at least it'll prove that I'm not really the evil, sabotaging, stealing scumbag you've built me up to be. I'm just a contributor who's been submitted to a public lynching because I went to the trouble of properly crediting and seeking permission from my sources.
TheMechanicalHand
Bigger member

Cakes -1

Birdo

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 08:21:22 PM »

Apparently it was discovered that one of the contributors have contributed content derived from strictly non-Free content. It made its way into OA 0.8.0's release. This is highly unacceptable, and so, I have pulled the OA080 release files since I don't support the work of thieves and I don't want this release around anymore.
Note that this does not mean the older 0.7.6/7 or 0.7.1 releases are inheriting "current release" status. I will not be providing them here either.
You'll just have to wait until 0.8.1 is released. Apologies in advance for the extra megabytes of bandwidth to use Sad
aww bugga lol soon as i come back on,the new release goes boom Sad
oh well its for good reasons

And in this moment Seconds stop and I burst with clarity, A wealth of love and hate gone blank For I finally remember my fucking name!! What do you want! i breathe wind, the clarity is gone, and my pulse is faint!
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 11:49:46 PM »

Maybe you missed the last post Cheesy

Hello everyone,

First off, let me say that the only reason I am avoiding my forum ban is to clear up this matter, which I think it is fair to say has been a lose-lose for pretty much everyone involved at this point.

Back in march or so, I did contact the owner of cgtextures about permission to license textures derived from source material on cgtextures.com as GPL. At the time, he accepted, and so I went ahead and released my textures as GPL. Due to this latest controversy, I contacted him again and he reiterated that he has given me permission to license my textures as GPL, and that I can still distribute my textures under those terms.

I asked him for permission to post the contents of his email here, but he would prefer it if a member of the OA dev team (i.e: fromhell) contacted him via email (support(.a.t.)cgtextures(_dot_com)) for confirmation. I think this would probably be the best way to clear things up, especially considering you have no way of verifying the veracity of anything I post here short of asking him about it.

I rather you'd just post that I had already given you permission to use the textures under GPL previously and that this permission still remains.

You can always have a OpenArena developer contact me to confirm, that would probably be best.

In an earlier part of the email he also asked me to extend his apologies to the OA community over this unnecessary drama.

fromhell, I understand that you're not a big fan of emailing, but in the interest of all involved, especially the OA community, I think this whole matter should be cleared up as soon as possible.

I'm not sure if proving that I did indeed have permission from the cgtextures owner will solve all of the issues you seem to have with the licensing of my textures, but at least it'll prove that I'm not really the evil, sabotaging, stealing scumbag you've built me up to be. I'm just a contributor who's been submitted to a public lynching because I went to the trouble of properly crediting and seeking permission from my sources.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: