Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1130803 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2013, 08:21:38 AM »

I'm starting to pack the files for the first beta, hopefully I have at least one map from each author.

So far:
* Jan, .map files for your maps, where they are? They're required for GPLv2 compliance. Also the sources, are they the same as in the other thread?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2013, 09:49:02 AM »

oajgdm2alpha health and safety note:

One of the teleporters-exits or spawnpoints has slightly off-camber orientation, causing your viewport to go slightly off camber...

If anyone finds out which one, pls do tell...
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2013, 03:41:24 PM »

oajgdm2alpha: the map overall is okay, maybe a bit too detailed - it's sometimes confusing to tell where you are, and how to reach that powerup you see on the other side.
Teleporter look just like a wall. It should have some animated texture.
The one armor powerup is easily accessible with jump pad and teleporter - I would remove teleporter, and put jumppad  at different angle, so it's clear you're not jumping straight up. Another armor powerup at the top is accessible only with rocket-jump, or some heavy acrobatics with nearby jumppad, I would make it more easy to access.
BTW I did not notice any FPS drop, probably because Android OA port does not support shaders.

oa_akomdm4: well it's almost perfect. Three rails for a moving platform make it too easy to access, I would leave two, or maybe just one rail. Anyway, if you say it's finished, then it's finished Smiley it's already quite good.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #303 on: February 15, 2013, 02:33:40 AM »

Quote from: pelya
oa_akomdm4: well it's almost perfect. Three rails for a moving platform make it too easy to access, I would leave two, or maybe just one rail. Anyway, if you say it's finished, then it's finished Smiley it's already quite good.

I meant that's finished for the beta-release. For the official pack maybe some changes will be done. I mean even the other maps.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #304 on: February 15, 2013, 03:07:14 AM »

Hi Akom!
Congrats for the cockpit, it's great.  Grin
I agree with Pelya saying people should have some reason to see the cabin. He proposed to place some item over the top of the lateral sections, but you see very little of the cabin from there. I suggest, instead, to place a powerup just on the top of the nose of the ship, right in front of the cabin. A quad damage may be too much, considering it's near to the rocket launcher: maybe one may move the rocket lucher or (maybe better) place a megahealth or a "haste" (speed) on the nose. I would suggest the haste.  Smiley

I would also suggest to add a "stripe" of a different color in the front part of the ship... its colors look like too "flat" now.

You may also consider adding some thin wings, laterally.

See first screenshot for these three things.

Hey, you didn't fix the glitch I mentioned in the previous post... Smiley See the second screenshot.

A thing I would ask to all people here is if they prefer the current blue-violet stars or the white ones of the first versions of the map. I'm not sure...

@jangroothuijse: nice map, maybe a bit cahotic, but nice. Teleporters should however be more easy so identify.

What's the meaning of making a beta of the whole package so early, if we have not yet seen anything from Neon knight?  Huh

PS: to all mappers... why don't you add Double Domination support to your maps? I think it's possible also if you are using the classic q3radiant to map...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:00:33 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #305 on: February 15, 2013, 06:09:50 AM »

Neither Moixie nor Peter Silie also delivered their maps yet. That's why we've shifted the original deadlines.
I'll try to complete my maps as much as possible this week.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #306 on: February 15, 2013, 06:44:07 AM »

Final Version !!

Wouldn't call it like that so far. The outside of the ship could use some more than just geometric contrasts (like textural or even lighting) as I only look at the screenshot.

You are right, but i look at the playability first. By the way, i'm making some stripe as suggested by GiG  Tongue

@Gig: On the "nose" of the ship i've inserted the portable teleporter, it's more useful with a map where you can fall down  Grin
....and sorry, no wings  Tongue

@Pelya: I leave three rails in the moving platform, because it's dangerous like before but BOTs play better.

@Neon_Knight: I'm working on my fifth map called "The Sanctuary"........ It remember you something ?  Tongue

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2013, 06:58:31 AM »

@Gig: On the "nose" of the ship i've inserted the portable teleporter, it's more useful with a map where you can fall down  Grin
....and sorry, no wings  Tongue
Yes, I assume a personal teleporter may be a nice idea in this map.  Smiley For the wings, you are the artist, man. But anyway I hope you do not work for BOEING or NASA...   Cheesy The ship already looks more aerodynamic than in the first versions, but the lack of any kind of wing still sounds a little strange, IMO.

@Pelya: I leave three rails in the moving platform, because it's dangerous like before but BOTs play better.
I suppose the danger is that someone may shoot at you and cause you fall down, right? By the way, does the platform being moving have any purpose anymore? It's just a question.

@Neon_Knight: I'm working on my fifth map called "The Sanctuary"........ It remember you something ?  Tongue
Saint Seiya/Knights of the Zodiac maybe?

PS: Akom, did I already told you that at least oa_akomdm3 really should be listed for Elimination/Last Man Standing in the .arena file?

PPS: (Yes, I know I use too much post scriptums...) Considering oa_akomdm4 is supposed to be a futuristic spaceship, maybe you may use some more of the "metallic" textures used for example in WRACKDM17 map for some details of the ship, to have it seem made with less concrete and more metal (especially the outside)... Also some graphical details used in PUL1DUEL-OA map may fit well (take a look to that map, it's nice at look).

@Neon_Knight: I hope in your maps for support for Team Arena weapons, items, runes and gametypes (plus OA-specific gametypes).  ;)a
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:58:38 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #308 on: February 15, 2013, 07:24:26 AM »

TA-gametypes can be supported by any CTF map.

At least the CTF map I'm doing will support TA items/weapons. In fact, considering the trend, it could even be the only map with TA support in the pack.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #309 on: February 15, 2013, 07:27:33 AM »

TA-gametypes can be supported by any CTF map.
All three of them (Overload, Harvester, One flag CTF) absolutely require some items that are not included in the standard q3radiant (the obelisks, the skull generator, the white flag), IIRC. Is there a simple way to set it for TA? Akom (and jangroothuijse, IIRC) are mapping with q3radiant, not with GTKRadiant or NetRadiant.

About texture choice, maybe some mappers do not know this page:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Texture_packs
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:42:42 AM by Gig » Logged

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #310 on: February 15, 2013, 12:11:08 PM »

Neither Moixie nor Peter Silie also delivered their maps yet. That's why we've shifted the original deadlines.
I'll try to complete my maps as much as possible this week.

Jep, i am very late but i had to survive carnival.
I hope to make some progress this week and for a 1st look, i will include my .map file so you can take a look.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #311 on: February 15, 2013, 02:43:17 PM »

Btw, Neon_Knight, when it's released, you have my word on making a news post topic and me moving it to the front page of the site.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #312 on: February 15, 2013, 03:51:32 PM »

All three of them (Overload, Harvester, One flag CTF) absolutely require some items that are not included in the standard q3radiant (the obelisks, the skull generator, the white flag), IIRC. Is there a simple way to set it for TA?
You can likely add custom entities by placing entity that the editor known and then change the classname to the relevant entity. The editor will not show the model but you can still place the origin and for TA-items knowing the origin is the most important thing because it must be aligned with the ground.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #313 on: February 15, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »

Since all maps will be open-source, we can add those entities by ourselves, so let's not distract Akom's creativity with such boring little details. I have latest GTKRadiant installed, I've even launched it once and loaded some map, but it was too complicated for my little brains  Roll Eyes .
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #314 on: February 15, 2013, 04:11:51 PM »

Btw, Neon_Knight, when it's released, you have my word on making a news post topic and me moving it to the front page of the site.
Yay!

@TheRest (?) you've heard of it, team! Let's work!

Since all maps will be open-source, we can add those entities by ourselves, so let's not distract Akom's creativity with such boring little details. I have latest GTKRadiant installed, I've even launched it once and loaded some map, but it was too complicated for my little brains  Roll Eyes .
http://www.leveldk.co.uk

That's a very good place to start.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #315 on: February 16, 2013, 02:24:03 AM »

I hope also that the sources may be placed in the OA svn (in a dedicated branch), and the pk3 package placed in the downloads section of the main site. Will it be so?
By the way, is it good the name "community mappack" or maybe something like "official mappack" would make it more likely to be installed by people?

@Akom:
You know my fool ideas...  Grin
Looking at that pilots cockpit, I was thinking it looks like something is missing... the pilot! So I thought about this ("Otto") or this (do you remember?)... so I wondered if it may be possible to place a character from OpenArena inside the cockpit... I thought about the upper part of Skelebot to act as a built-in autopilot.  Smiley
Maybe that's too much, and you could simply place a screen showing the word "AUTO" in the middle of the dashboard, instead.[1] What do you think about this?  Smiley

PS:
A thing I would ask to all people here is if they prefer the current blue-violet stars or the white ones of the first versions of the map. I'm not sure...
Any comment?

[1]And I have not Idea if Skelebot will be there and will be exactly the same in OA3... some changes in the model may bring to texture problems when later loading this version of the model (fused into the map itself) under the future OA3, unless one includes a copy of its current textures in the mappack itself, to be sure. Probably just using a display with "AUTO" is simpler.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:04:12 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #316 on: February 16, 2013, 04:11:52 AM »

Blue stars are okay for me, I would even add some yellow stars, if possible. More stars never hurt Smiley
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #317 on: February 16, 2013, 10:23:40 AM »

I'm working on "the Sanctuary", inspired by UT3 DM-Sanctuary..... Tongue....
....maybe soon i  give you some screenshots  Wink

For modify some aspects of my maps, please, in the release will be placed the original .map file, if you want you can change every thing you want, otherwise you can wait after the beta and hear what  other players think of the maps. Did you note that the original .map file already is in the PK3 released earlier ?

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:40:30 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #318 on: February 16, 2013, 02:51:42 PM »

Oh, pretty cool! Though I never played a lot that map, but I see where it's going.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #319 on: February 16, 2013, 02:54:49 PM »

Isn't that map supposed to have vehicles?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #320 on: February 16, 2013, 03:36:03 PM »

No, it's a Deathmatch map. AFAIK, Sanctuary has no vehicles. You might be confusing it for VCTF-Necropolis.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #321 on: February 16, 2013, 03:53:09 PM »

Isn't that map supposed to have vehicles?

Vehicles in OA ?? ....  Grin Grin

Nevermind at the missing textures Tongue
I dont have a skybox to emulate the original map, but i have make one miself with textures of OA and my script.
I have to say that the slime texture sucks a lot, and i think to remove it, or make one miself ... Tongue...

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:42:16 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #322 on: February 17, 2013, 07:28:03 AM »

Ok, i have removed the slime because i think to create a couple of lower passage and make that floor playable.
I've changed some textures and go forward with the map.
Here is an update:

I think it's time to try other mappers creation, can we try them ?  Tongue Tongue Grin

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:42:35 PM by Akom74 » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #323 on: February 17, 2013, 11:03:30 AM »

While vehicles may be fun to have, it's impractical because of the already fast moving player physics.  UT2004 tried to compensate that by making players appear very tiny in levels.
It might be practical if, the said vehicles were drivable boats, because players aren't quite as fast in a liquid, and boat wars are fun! Plus, boats are a bit easier to code since you could get away with a fixed altitude.

Don't know if brush-entity vehicles are possible in Q3BSP (with brush rotation and collision), however.  That would be better since it would leave the creativity up to the mapper, who could either design the boat by brush, or by assigning a model, and having weapons on it, like Shadow Warrior

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:08:04 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #324 on: February 17, 2013, 12:22:03 PM »

While vehicles may be fun to have, it's impractical because of the already fast moving player physics.  UT2004 tried to compensate that by making players appear very tiny in levels.
It might be practical if, the said vehicles were drivable boats, because players aren't quite as fast in a liquid, and boat wars are fun! Plus, boats are a bit easier to code since you could get away with a fixed altitude.

Don't know if brush-entity vehicles are possible in Q3BSP (with brush rotation and collision), however.  That would be better since it would leave the creativity up to the mapper, who could either design the boat by brush, or by assigning a model, and having weapons on it, like Shadow Warrior

Seem interesting, but i'd prefer a MD3 model  Grin

Wink

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: