Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: why isn't open arena popular?  (Read 113573 times)
ikao
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2009, 11:43:27 PM »

If the single player game was fun, more people would want to have servers. In some countries there is no local server, or there is but not enough people go there at a given moment.
I would like bots that were more like regular human players. They should strafe jump especially in high difficulty.
However they shouldn't have the "kill automatically with railgun" ability. That breaks the game when playing normal maps offline in normal mode.
SlippJigg
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2009, 07:53:58 PM »

Here is why OA is not popular, i can sum it up in 2 words

Urban Terror

That's right I said it....Urban Terror.

Urban Terror is very popular and many, many people play it.  You should also.

A few more reasons it is not popular.

1.  Quake 3 Arena - still Rules the Roost (and always has) - get it off eBay today..spend the $3.00

2.  Quakelive - could be the heir to q3a...the next generation q3a!

3.  Other great free games like Nexuiz, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Warsow, Tremulous, America's Army, Postal 2: Share The Pain multiplayer - did i mention Urban Terror? These games are all more complete and polished, because they are out of beta.  I know all of these are not GPL'd but as a player i do not care.

4.  Lead Developer of OA publicly flaming the guys from the ioQuake3 Team, and calling them stupid.  They have done more already for free GNU gaming than OA ever will.

5.  Severe fragmentation of the player base across the  player base, due to to many servers that need update to the current release.  The people running the older versions of OA on their servers are to blame.  Update your server, make it private or take it offline.  This is not the OA Devs fault.  It is poor server admins/operators being stupid.  Running an old version of a beta game makes NO Sense....none.

6.  Linux Repositories not Always having the most Current Release available in a Timely fashion, thus many Noobs download OA and have trouble getting on the right servers,  Again not the OA devs fault, this one is to blame on the package maintainer

7.  In game server browser sucks, just like the one in Q3A.  I personally use Qtracker on my windows machine and XQF on my linux machine to find a server to play on.  If you are using the In-Game server browser...STOP Today! Download qtracker or xqf

Those are the reasons i believe OA is not popular. 

I have no complaints about the Maps, Models, Skins , Sounds., Menu's, etc.  OA is still in beta, its Free, its Fun, and I like it.
By the time OA gets to 1.0 it will be Awesome.

Game Not Over,
SlippJigg

0kelvin
I LEFT THE FORUM BY EDITING ALL MY POSTS OUT!!! HAHAHA!!! TAKE THAT, INTERNET!
Half-Nub

Cakes -54

« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2009, 08:57:24 PM »

openarena
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:22:20 PM by 0kelvin » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2009, 09:14:10 PM »

4.  Lead Developer of OA publicly flaming the guys from the ioQuake3 Team, and calling them stupid.  They have done more already for free GNU gaming than OA ever will.

lol is that what they've told you? Remember it was Timbo provoking the attacks, and it wasn't the first time he's done it (I do not take kindly to cyber stalkers that evade bans and seek me in unrelated channels). Still maintains a topic about it even. The dead horse should be the ioq3 logo at this point.

Oh and i've never called anyone on ioq3 stupid, but i've been insulted by them more though.

Urban Terror is only 'popular' because it's the closest thing they can get to a free Counter-Strike clone without going to the South Korean nickelanddime cs clones.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:19:01 PM by leilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2009, 09:41:10 PM »

why isn't this thread in Club Nub? Popularity is relative
fractor
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2009, 01:44:27 AM »

why isn't this thread in Club Nub? Popularity is relative
nope popularity is about numbers thus it can not be relative. but popularity doesn't mean anything... popularity is temporary
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2009, 09:13:48 AM »

nope popularity is about numbers thus it can not be relative.
Funny concept. At which number is a piece of software considered popular?
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2009, 09:16:01 AM »

numbers of popularity - rule of thumb: it's popular when i and three of my friends use it.
fractor
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2009, 11:07:02 AM »

nope popularity is about numbers thus it can not be relative.
Funny concept. At which number is a piece of software considered popular?
42 of course...
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2009, 11:37:14 AM »

42 of course...
So then OA is popular!
it's popular when i and three of my friends use it.
Sure, which makes the idea of popularity relative.

If I was new to OA and saw this thread title it would deter me from playing it. Which is why it should be in club nub along with all the other "OA sux" posts
lingenfr
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2009, 06:45:41 PM »

Unfortunately it seems to be getting less popular all the time. Any given day there are only a few servers up (VILE and BUTTER) and those have very few players. OA is a great effort and I appreciate. Unfortunately of the few players there are those few who delight in crushing folks rather than just winning so the fun wears off pretty quick and I head off to UT2004 or just play single player. Unfortunately, the bots are better sports. Thanks to VILE and BUTTER as well for providing their servers.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2009, 09:52:21 PM »

yeah well all ut2004 really has is dm-rankin servers, sniper-only servers, torlan servers, and horrible childish monster invasion servers with stupid rpgs and golden mp5 +1s

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2009, 10:34:06 PM »

I love ut2004, it's my fav UT and my all-time fav FPS, but I have to agree with Lei... I played it during 4 years and I ended hating Rankin for the HUGE quantity of times it was voted. I know is a great map (In fact is awesome) but I ended hating it because everyone wanted to play that map over and over and over and over again... -.- (Sometimes 1on1-Roughinery, Compressed, Under_LE, and some other map was involved too)

I've never played ONS as I would wished, since everyone wanted DM and CTF... DM and CTF... DM and CTF... -.- and in CTF it was always... FP-DuelingKeeps, GrendelKeep, Dueling, Grendel, some Thorns (!) some Romra (!!) and then back to Grendel, Dueling, some FaceClassic and then back to Dueling, Grendel... -.-!!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 10:36:52 PM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
0kelvin
I LEFT THE FORUM BY EDITING ALL MY POSTS OUT!!! HAHAHA!!! TAKE THAT, INTERNET!
Half-Nub

Cakes -54

« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2009, 05:07:28 AM »

openarena
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:23:13 PM by 0kelvin » Logged
yasha
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

Did thunder hit my head?

« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2009, 04:28:54 PM »

Here is why OA is not popular, i can sum it up in 2 words

Urban Terror

That's right I said it....Urban Terror.

Urban Terror is very popular and many, many people play it.  You should also.
Urban Terror (or Turban Error Cheesy) is popular, has better graphic, and lots of things, but it was developed by Frozen Sands which is good team of programmers, unlike OA team, And, it, together with Americas Army, and other games doesn't go together with OA. Urban Terror is realistic game with logo "when q3 meets reality", while OA is opposite, OA is game with funny, unexisting characters, funny sounds, and is much more about skill. So Urban Terror won't take people from OA.I know, I'm admin on Urban Terror server myself (yeah, like |TXC| Neon_Knight said many players can be bad, lots of team killers, noobs, blockers, newbes, and of course, cheaters (aimbot, wallhack) while i haven't seen any in OA) and I come to play OA becouse i'm quite irritated of headshots i get Sad. These games are different, and aren't to be compared. 

A few more reasons it is not popular.

1.  Quake 3 Arena - still Rules the Roost (and always has) - get it off eBay today..spend the $3.00

2.  Quakelive - could be the heir to q3a...the next generation q3a!
That's in other topic (OpenArena vs QuakeLive)

3.  Other great free games like Nexuiz, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Warsow, Tremulous, America's Army, Postal 2: Share The Pain multiplayer - did i mention Urban Terror? These games are all more complete and polished, because they are out of beta.  I know all of these are not GPL'd but as a player i do not care.
Again, these games can't be compared

They are at least 100 programmers who are paid for what they do, fromhell is one (with help of others) and spends his/hers/its free time so we can have fun

5.  Severe fragmentation of the player base across the  player base, due to to many servers that need update to the current release.  The people running the older versions of OA on their servers are to blame.  Update your server, make it private or take it offline.  This is not the OA Devs fault.  It is poor server admins/operators being stupid.  Running an old version of a beta game makes NO Sense....none.
You said it, it's servers/hosters foult not OAs

6.  Linux Repositories not Always having the most Current Release available in a Timely fashion, thus many Noobs download OA and have trouble getting on the right servers,  Again not the OA devs fault, this one is to blame on the package maintainer
Hope Ubuntu 9.04 will have 0.81 in its repository ^^ (More 4 days to go! Yay!)

7.  In game server browser sucks, just like the one in Q3A.  I personally use Qtracker on my windows machine and XQF on my linux machine to find a server to play on.  If you are using the In-Game server browser...STOP Today! Download qtracker or xqf
True, it isn't much, but as i said in other topic (Empty servers) less servers would make it usable.

Why I think Oa isnt popular:
1) Its not yet 1.0 so people maybe don't trust it.
2) Skilled players often own unskilled so much that they can easily go away. You must know about q3 when coming here.
3) There are no "ads" about OA anywhere (Maybe we can help it, just create topic about it on forums you are registered to, put link on your site)
4) Lots of people don't know how to extract .zip and run right starter (openarena.exe, openarena,i386,openarena.x86_64, oa_ded. exe, etc.) because they don't know what that mean.
5) Windows users have no way of finding this game (they have q3a which is mostly same, and don't have something like repository where they can find games).
6) There are still bugs, so people come to forum saying "Help!!! I have a bug! Can you fix it for me?" without reading this

... Am I in desert? ...
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2009, 08:06:59 PM »

Hope Ubuntu 9.04 will have 0.81 in its repository ^^ (More 4 days to go! Yay!)
It does
yasha
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

Did thunder hit my head?

« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2009, 03:24:08 AM »

I've never played ONS as I would wished, since everyone wanted DM and CTF... DM and CTF... DM and CTF... -.- and in CTF it was always...

It's better if you haven't played ONS, It's just like CTF with lots of campers. It never ends before coundown comes to 0, and than draining. Only if one team is so much stronger so they win in 3 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:12:16 AM by yasha » Logged

... Am I in desert? ...
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2009, 03:36:29 AM »

Urban Terror (or Turban Error Cheesy) is popular, has better graphic, and lots of things, but it was developed by Frozen Sands which is good team of programmers, unlike OA team, And, it, together with Americas Army, and other games doesn't go together with OA. Urban Terror is realistic game with logo "when q3 meets reality", while OA is opposite, OA is game with funny, unexisting characters, funny sounds, and is much more about skill. So Urban Terror won't take people from OA.I know, I'm admin on Urban Terror server myself (yeah, like |TXC| Neon_Knight said many players can be bad, lots of team killers, noobs, blockers, newbes, and of course, cheaters (aimbot, wallhack) while i haven't seen any in OA) and I come to play OA becouse i'm quite irritated of headshots i get Sad. These games are different, and aren't to be compared. 

what the hell kind of logic is this

Urban Terror didn't start from nothing but the source in 2005. Its content isnt free nor versatile to work with either (most of its best assets were done by hobbyist modelers in max around 02/03 anyhow, ditto for Tremulous and even World of Padman)

Lack of popularity hasn't been because of the character variety. The forcemodels cvar fixes the 'weeaboo' issue.

also

which is good team of programmers, unlike OA team
how do you judge that when no one but the team has seen a single line of urban terror game code?

yasha
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

Did thunder hit my head?

« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2009, 04:11:11 AM »

Uff, i thought i have to say that there, i didn't mean they were better programmers than you are, i said about team which works together.

... Am I in desert? ...
RoOst3r
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »

2) Skilled players often own unskilled so much that they can easily go away. You must know about q3 when coming here.
That unfortunately happens all too frequently. Too many players are unwilling to change up teams when they are lopsided in skill. I think an easy way to solve this would simply to have the server randomize the teams each map. So instead of carrying over the previous blue team and the previous red team every map it would just randomly create fresh new teams. At least with something like that the skilled vs unskilled problem would only happen occasionally instead of 5 or 6 maps in a row. Maybe something like this already exists and it's just a server side setting that can be turned on? If that is the case then I think server admins should turn it on. Otherwise, if it doesn't exist, I think if it did exist it would go a long way in helping to reduce this problem.
1-800-SAVETHEWHALES
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2009, 08:15:18 AM »

I am encouraged by the development of from what I've seen, an awesome product.  I will download it when I get home however, I am hesitant.  I have read a list of mods that are compatible but I have to ask myself, is the true mod compatible?  BFG and all?  From what I read on wikipedia all the weapons are not included as of yet.  This really would be the finishing touch in my opinion.  If wikipedia was lying to me, feel free to flame me
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2009, 08:40:20 AM »

If you're counting Q3 weapons + TA ones, in 0.8.1 all of them are included, (BFG too) but there's a lot of whine about the three TA weapons and the BFG and there were claims and reclaims to remove them from the game, something which IMHO is ridiculous.

BTW, I have to reply at this...

I've never played ONS as I would wished, since everyone wanted DM and CTF... DM and CTF... DM and CTF... -.- and in CTF it was always...

It's better if you haven't played ONS, It's just like CTF with lots of campers. It never ends before coundown comes to 0, and than draining. Only if one team is so much stronger so they win in 3 minutes.
I don't think gametypes which aren't DM-TDM-CTF-CA shouldn't be played. The only (or maybe I should say the best?) way to learn how to play properly those gametypes is by playing it, theory don't serve without practice in this case. (And I hate the "only ways" to do things)

I like Harvester a lot, for example, but most players don't care about it and those which like to play it online won't find anything at all.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:56:08 AM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2009, 03:39:20 PM »

i've never tried harvester - but then again i can't pick it in the server browser. i get lots of other game modes if i try. but according to sago, over in the openarena expanded thread, it will function in upcoming versions. good things Smiley
Dragonknight768
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2009, 09:52:25 PM »

i've never tried harvester - but then again i can't pick it in the server browser. i get lots of other game modes if i try. but according to sago, over in the openarena expanded thread, it will function in upcoming versions. good things Smiley
hi
Is your answer to this came all from sago? I just want to know.,

Cakes 34

« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2009, 05:01:54 AM »

hi
Is your answer to this came all from sago? I just want to know.,

hmm, dunno. i didn't really understand your question?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: