Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: [MAP] Morgan's Blood  (Read 40349 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« on: May 30, 2017, 11:59:33 AM »

Hi everyone.

Here i am with my last creation. I don't know why i'm doing this stuff again...i've started with a simple brush try... XD...

I've worked on it for a week and it's not finished yet, but i want to know what do you think about it.

And some suggestion will be welcome.... Tongue

Wink

Know Issue:

1) The map Theme maybe boring...
2) Only 2 ammobox (for now...)
3) Only 3 weapons

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 12:03:09 PM »

The ancient temple theme is mostly unexplored in OA, so I welcome any map with that theme. Cheesy
It reminds me of the first Unreal.

I'll download it later. Smiley

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 12:56:50 PM »

I don't know why i'm doing this stuff again...

Why do you say that? I always found your maps very enjoyable, since the old q3a days.

I'll try this one in the next days. ;-)

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 07:37:59 PM »

I know that feeling of Akom. It's called burnout. I've suffered for it during a long time.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 11:59:01 PM »

@Gig & Neon Knight:

Quake Editing it's a part of me, i think.... Tongue

Wink

P.S.: Here is the first shoot of the same map with a different texture set (and some brush work)...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 01:28:19 AM »

Quickly tried it. I like it a lot!
I think that with a bit more of eye candy, it may be a very nice map!

Just a few ideas:
- Maybe some corridors may be somewhat wider?
- Do you think a grenade launcher may fit?
- What about adding "something" (reachable or just graphical) in the wall of the attached screenshot?
- Small note: coordinates 0,0,0 are in solid, so you encounter that "very first spawn in solid" glitch in Elimination mode.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 07:43:18 AM »

Your implementation of the ancient temple theme (at least for an alpha/beta) was well done, judging by the screenshots, I wish we could had a more varied set of textures and models for it, though. :/

P.S: Of course, I meant our own textures, not evillair or simonoc's Nexuiz-nicked sets.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 01:54:49 PM »

Update !

1) Added the Grenade Launcher.
2) Added some ammobox.
3) Removed the two 50 Health and replaced with 25 health.
4) Modified the central roof and added more lights.
5) Added an Easter Egg Cheesy Tongue
6) Some other minor things...

Download and tell me.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 04:53:24 PM »

Wait at least a week before posting new versions, we all love constant updating, but give us some time to test the map. punched

Downloading your latest version, when I come home I'll give you my feedback. Smiley

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 11:14:05 PM »

Wait at least a week before posting new versions, we all love constant updating, but give us some time to test the map. punched

Sorry...  punched punched

Downloading your latest version, when I come home I'll give you my feedback. Smiley

In the meantime i'll do something else...

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 03:19:49 AM »

Quickly tried.

I like it... also, a few places do even give "Q3DM6 vibes", while I guess the map isn't a dm6 remake.

I haven't found the easter egg yet. I'll try it again later.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 03:53:46 AM »

For less procrastinated feedback i'd suggest the Discord Smiley

Will check when I have time (oh how ironic)

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 06:32:19 AM »

OK Playing it a bit, yeah it's a bit dull and could use some decor

like plants coming off the edges outside with the sky, going down the unreachable parts of the wall

maybe -dirty could help with shading around corners/edges as well, give it more of that unreal feeling

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 07:29:43 AM »

I'll see what i can do.

Monday i'll give you a better version, i hope.... Tongue

@Fromhell: give to the map a minor Unreal feel will be hard to do... by the way i try to insert more details.

Wink

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 07:36:53 AM »

Well, the base is pretty good. Good structure. I had the same thoughts as Gig and FH for "Q3DM6 vibes" and decor. Some more weapon or ammo wouldn't be bad. What about adding LG? Also in terms of fast gameplay I would redesign the passage here (look down), because you can get stuck at the thin boarder of the arc
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 07:39:58 AM »

I'll see what i can do.

Monday i'll give you a better version, i hope.... Tongue

@Fromhell: give to the map a minor Unreal feel will be hard to do... by the way i try to insert more details.

Wink
I think it's early for the detail phase. Better focus on the layout first, details later.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 07:50:11 AM »

@Adriano: i'll see what i can do.

@Neon_knight: The layout is almost done, some trim will be apreciated... i think. For sure i have to do something for the boring walls.

Wink

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 07:27:11 AM »

Update !

1) Changed Ambient Sky and Light
2) Added some trims
3) Added one ammobox of bullets
4) Changed the easteregg, tell me if you like it.
5) Some other minor things
6) Inserted the original .map file in source's folder.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 01:13:41 AM »

Good. The red light gives better the "Blood" in the map name Smiley, however a few details (just fussiness  Wink)...:

- The red light comes from the sky, but the sky texture itself is more "orange" than "red", so that's a bit odd.
- The effect of the change of color from the light emitted by lights and the one emitted by the sky, just under the roof, isn't beautiful (see first screenshot), it's like a plain line where the color changes. However I have to say that I don't know how to "fix" it (apart from making also the lights red, which maybe may be excessive)... Maybe making those lights work in spotlight mode, or just playing with their light value?
- Also, the OA logo on that wall is a bit too thin, it resembles more the "old" logo than the current one... what about making it bolder?
- Second screenshot: I'm not sure about the texture on that specific detail (thin inner border) of the jumppad. Also, on the opposite side of the jumppad (external part), maybe it's a bit too dark?
- Third screenshot. When you take the jumppad (coming from the opposite side than the one I took the screenshot from!), if you run you miss the plasmagun, so you have to slow down in order to get it. Is this intentional? If it's not, maybe you may tweak the jumppad arc or move the plasmagun farther (although in that case you may need to move also that armor in the corner, to do not make the two items too near).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:34:07 PM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 09:45:47 AM »

@Gig: Thanks for your feedback. I'll do something.

Anyone else ?

Have you noticed where is the easteregg ?  giggity

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 12:05:10 PM »

Have you noticed where is the easteregg ?  giggity

Wink
Not yet...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 03:17:02 PM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 06:51:58 PM »

I'm guessing the "egg" is that secret megahealth room which isn't really an egg.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 11:57:17 PM »

I'm guessing the "egg" is that secret megahealth room which isn't really an egg.

Yes, maybe it's to consider a secret room instead of a real easteregg....

Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 12:10:00 AM »

Yes, maybe it's to consider a secret room instead of a real easteregg....
True.
Found, that wasn't exactly easy. ^_^

A small idea, see attached image:
What about placing a protruding edge (as shown in yellow, or in yellow+green in the image) there (preferably placing "something" there, even just a +5 health or whatever you like), to allow people to relatively easily strafe jump from there directly to the opposite side of the room?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:12:33 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 12:17:55 AM »

Look at this other screenshot, what about placing another ammo box (or anything you prefer) on the opposite side of the jumppad, for more symmetry?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:23:14 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: