Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting to map  (Read 12019 times)
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« on: November 10, 2008, 05:27:47 PM »

I have converted my friends to OpenArena from Q3A and there is a DM17 map missing in OA. I would like to recreate it. And I was thinking to transform a wreckdm17 closer to Quake DM17. Smaller.

Where can I get source files of wreckdm17. Only thing I find is bsp files but I don't know how to open it in gtkradiant.

Any ideas?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 05:46:38 PM »

Source is in the SVN. This link will take you to the maps folder.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:07:42 PM »

Thanks I was looking in SVN but wrong places.
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 09:01:03 PM »

How can I (if its even posible) import .map to blender?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 12:55:27 AM »

Forget about using Blender to map. It's a joke and it won't cooperate properly with the compile tools.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 03:42:39 PM »

Well, after I finally got out that I can't create even a 2D object in GTKRadiant, I'm trying to map with QuArK now.... fromhell, can I use QuArK? Or it can't be used because of the broken .map format?

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
RudyRailer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 01:45:28 PM »

I have converted my friends to OpenArena from Q3A and there is a DM17 map missing in OA. I would like to recreate it. And I was thinking to transform a wreckdm17 closer to Quake DM17. Smaller.

Where can I get source files of wreckdm17. Only thing I find is bsp files but I don't know how to open it in gtkradiant.

Any ideas?

There is a dm17 kind of map in OA, its called ssdm17_v2
You can find it on the Lazer server scan for it with "Show Empty"
Hope you like it Cheesy
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 07:10:25 PM »

Well, after I finally got out that I can't create even a 2D object in GTKRadiant, I'm trying to map with QuArK now.... fromhell, can I use QuArK? Or it can't be used because of the broken .map format?

i'm just curious - why do you want to create 2D objects in the map editor?

i have never used quark so i don't know about it - but gtkradiant has lots of tutorials if you need to get started - just google a bit Smiley
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 07:18:59 PM »

Try to learn GTKR from this list of tutorials: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2554.0

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 08:40:16 PM »

Here is a good example of a map..
http://lvlworld.com/t.php/Never+Enough

You can move around and be able to determine location of the enemy using sound (unlike maps like aggressor - random carnage with splash damage)

Also check Speakers list of recommended maps and Sitting Duck has some good maps on his server. (I liked tm3_grudge)
onykage
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 09:41:02 PM »

I did a really basic tut for radiant here.

Id be happy to do a more complex one for you.  I was already tossing around the idea.  radiant is really easy to use once you get a feel for it.

(EDIT)
Here is a tut im putting together.  It will get updated daily until I finish.  Maybe I can answer some questions or show you some tricks as you follow along.

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2581.0
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 12:33:17 AM by onykage » Logged
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 04:49:57 PM »

Try to learn GTKR from this list of tutorials: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2554.0

I did a really basic tut for radiant here.

Id be happy to do a more complex one for you.  I was already tossing around the idea.  radiant is really easy to use once you get a feel for it.

(EDIT)
Here is a tut im putting together.  It will get updated daily until I finish.  Maybe I can answer some questions or show you some tricks as you follow along.

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2581.0

Thanks, guys, especially onykage. I'll follow your introductions to learn mapping - unfortunately I'm very busy in this week.... I'll retry GTKRadiant next week.

i'm just curious - why do you want to create 2D objects in the map editor?

I meant I couldn't do anything in GTKRadiant. Just open and close...

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
onykage
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 04:53:43 PM »

i'll look into doing another tut on radiant ins and outs, to maybe help with some radiant issues with it running on windows.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: